Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would you stay or move for a bigger club?

13»

Comments

• Options
    In an ideal world I'd go and play abroad. I think English players are bonkers for not doing this more. Why live in Liverpool when you could live in Barcelona, Milan, Munich etc.
    Always thought this, must be brilliant being a footballer at some of the coastal clubs in Spain, great atmosphere, amazing food, attractive women, big expensive house by the beach.

Rather that than, say, rainy Cheshire, as nice as bits of it are.

Even more so away from the top, top players.  I'd rather earn less (bit still a lot) playing for Valencia or someone than a bit more playing for Stoke or Burnley.

Real Mallorca please!

(and it never rains in Cheshire!)
  • Options
    I would sign for the team that finishes third from bottom in league 2 to prove I care and to see how high I could carry them….nah, I would take the money and the chance to win trophies and play and train with the best
  • Options
    good job the Netaddicks archives don’t still exist 
  • Options
    Teddy Sheringham left Spurs for United to win trophies. The Spurs fan booed him for a few years, then idolised him when he returned after 4 seasons, having won a Champions League, 3 Premier Leagues and an FA Cup!

• Options
    Big difference between two boyhood fans of their employers here. Grealish hasn't demanded a move, villa have accepted a bid, so there can be no complaints when he goes on to better things. Kane in the other hand has been an embarrassment. Demanding to be release from a contract he signed! If I was a villa fan id be pissed about grealish leaving, but at least he's conducted himself in the right way. At the end of the day all of us are selling teams except City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. If it was me, I'd stay with Charlton obviously haha!
  • Options
    Ultimately you have to remember its a career, no-one would turn down an offer to double their wages 
  • Options
    Ultimately you have to remember its a career, no-one would turn down an offer to double their wages 

That's bollox as I have done previously. Not everyone is entirely money orientated.
  • Options
    The same fans who moan at a player for wanting to leave whilst in contract also moan when a player runs his contract down so he can leave on a free. 

In Grealish case he stayed when they were relegated and got them back up again 
  • Options
    I'd threaten to leave unless every away game was packed and sold out and our fans made a proper atmosphere
    as soon as it dropped i'm off 
    yep wouldn't take long , I'd be off 
  • Options
    It's not about the money as Grealish was already on over 100k a week and Villa were prepared to offer him 200k a week to stay. When you're already set for life, does the extra money really come into it?

Yes he will earn more at City but it's clearly about winning trophies and playing in the Champions league. He's 26 next month so has done his time at Villa and will always be a hero. He's leaving in the right manner with no ill feeling, hasn't kicked up a fuss and publicly demanded to move.

I'd do the same as him, you have to go and play at the highest level you can and try to win things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    No way am I leaving Kent and joining Surrey 
    Now that would be a really difficult decision to make. Imagine if you were a young batsman/keeper at Kent and they had three really good ones ahead of you but there was a space at Surrey for you. Hypothetically speaking of course because Surrey probably don't!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Dunno why people would be overly bothered about moving for the money, trophies I get

e.g. Even if you were on £8k per week here, your take home pay for the year is going to be around £200k

Thats already a shit load more than what I make per year

Surely cant be many Lifers being on that sort of yearly wage at present?
    But they will only make that sort of money for possibly a decade. That wouldn't be enough to retire on given that they would have to fund themselves and their family for another 40 years plus. And certainly not in the sort of lifestyle they would be used to. What if you get injured and have to retire at the age of 24 with say just two years of your £8k a week contract and you've turned down that big money move? 

I agree the sort of money on offer is ridiculous but, if £8k a week is the norm in League 1, why shouldn't say £50k, given the crowds, TV money etc etc, be the norm? Why should someone be on £8k a week at Charlton and £2k at week at say Sutton in League 2? Most people can leave on that after all.

• Options
    It is a no brainer isn't it? Maybe far less of a factor but if he does well for Man City he also becomes the first name on the England team sheet.
  • Options
    I'd go and play abroad in Italy somewhere after 4/5 years at Charlton. I think some players get put off playing abroad not just because of having to learn a new language, but also how different the training and style of football is. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Big difference between two boyhood fans of their employers here. Grealish hasn't demanded a move, villa have accepted a bid, so there can be no complaints when he goes on to better things. Kane in the other hand has been an embarrassment. Demanding to be release from a contract he signed! If I was a villa fan id be pissed about grealish leaving, but at least he's conducted himself in the right way. At the end of the day all of us are selling teams except City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. If it was me, I'd stay with Charlton obviously haha!
    And they're all selling teams when Real Madrid come calling
  • Options
    If we were in the position we were in when Parker left I would stay no question.  If we had finished top 4 that season who knows where we would be now I like to think the Spiv, RD and mouthall eras would have been avoided at least. 

if I was in Grealishs position I would stay he is guaranteed a game every week and can become a legend for the team he supports. He has more money than he needs. 

It all greed and a reason why until we reach the Premier League again I have no interest it it other than Palace being relegated.  

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    I'd go and play abroad in Italy somewhere after 4/5 years at Charlton. I think some players get put off playing abroad not just because of having to learn a new language, but also how different the training and style of football is. 
    Depends who you are and what level of team are in for you. Going abroad didn't bother Bale, Sancho, Trippier, Bellingham, Ashley Young or Tomori.

But these days i guess it mostly comes down to money and the simple fact is that unless you're going to Barca, Real Madrid or PSG then aside from Bayern and Juve (or Dortmund if you're a young player), the top premier league clubs will be able to pay more. So why would you uproot families and go somewhere where you have no friends and don't know the language?
  • Options
    There are so many people saying that it's all about money and trophies. What if Palace were taken over by Qataris?  Would you go then? Would Grealish have gone to Birmingham in those circumstances?

I don't care about 200 million if I can already get 100 million. What would it get you anyway? - just spoilt kids.

I'd stay with a contract stating that before every match I can come onto the pitch with Saadgaard and his guitar and sing to The Manic Street Preachers 'You Love Us', score goals kissing the badge and running the length of the covered end sending all of you into ruptures, after the match I'd make the most of the superior 'wonderful' South London tits and fanny, win The FA Cup, and hopefully get a statue😉.

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Depends who you are and what level of team are in for you. Going abroad didn't bother Bale, Sancho, Trippier, Bellingham, Ashley Young or Tomori.

But these days i guess it mostly comes down to money and the simple fact is that unless you're going to Barca, Real Madrid or PSG then aside from Bayern and Juve (or Dortmund if you're a young player), the top premier league clubs will be able to pay more. So why would you uproot families and go somewhere where you have no friends and don't know the language?
    You might go because you want to sample another country and culture, or because the style of football suits you better. Scott Minto loved his time at Benfica for example

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/05/scott-minto-on-chelsea-charlton-and-his-biggest-achievement-moving-to-benfica/

If I was a flair player who perhaps doesn't like "getting stuck in", a move abroad to a les physical league might make sense.