Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the 1970s players on this silk scarf

Got a few but not all

Comments

• Options
    I had that scarf...

Franklin
    Dunn
    Smart
    Hunt
    Shipperley
    Warman
    Reeves
    .?
    Tumbridge
    ?
  • Options
    John Dunn, Peter Hunt, Dave Shipperley, Phil Warman, Peter Reeves, Ray Tumbridge, Keith Peacock, xx Franklin?
  • Options
    Dick Tydeman
    Dave Shipperly
    Ray Tumbridge
    Phil Warman
    Martin Robinson
    Alan Campbell?…..the one where the shirt is creased.

• Options
    Under the crease: Mick Jones?
  • Options
    Dick Tydeman
    Dave Shipperly
    Ray Tumbridge
    Phil Warman
    Martin Robinson
    Alan Campbell?…..the one where the shirt is creased.

Tydeman and Robinson joined a few years later
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I don’t remember Franklin but if that is him he was with us  from 72 to 75 making 13 appearances which should rule out the likes of Tydeman, Campbell and Robinson. Is the short haired chap second to last Eamon Rogers 🤔.
  • Options
    Pretty sure the one second to bottom is Alan Dugdale.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    That would be a good shout but he was with us a bit later from 77 to 79 according to Richard Reddens book.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’d love to get hold of a scarf like that one. If anyone has one they want to sell I would love to send one to the late Mike Franklin’s widow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bournesnr said:
    It's Mick Jones
  • Options
    I’d love to get hold of a scarf like that one. If anyone has one they want to sell I would love to send one to the late Mike Franklin’s widow.
    The guy isn't a Charlton fan but a buyer and seller so expect he'd sell.

• Options
    It may not be Alan Dugdale but Mick Jones wore his parting on the other side is the picture on the scarfe printed reversed?
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    It may not be Alan Dugdale but Mick Jones wore his parting on the other side is the picture on the scarfe printed reversed?
    Alan Dugdale didn't join us 'til two or three years later but that's a good point given that Hunt, Franklin and Dunn, as per the picture above, had their parting on the other side. The only thing is Phil Warman's parting on the scarf is on the correct side.
  • Options
    Mike Franklin
    John Dunn
    Derek Foster
    Peter Hunt
    Dave Shipperley
    Phil Warman
    Peter Reeves
    Mick Jones
    Ray Tunbridge
    Keith Peacock

100% this. Well played sir.

I also had the scarf. Sold it to a frightened  Peterbrough fan in April 75 as he saw our fans run across the pitch pre match to take their end. Sold it for £1.20 and brought a new one for 70p the next home game.
    LOL.
    I have a mental image of a Charlton mob getting in this hapless innocent's face with a bit of "you're gonna get your f***ing head kicked in" before bolloxbolder steps forward from the mob "excuse me Sir, may I interest you in this beautiful bespoke silk scarf, with atttractive red lettering and amusing red tassle, adorned with fetching players portraits - yours for a bargain £1.20, or else"
  • Options
    I had the scarf from a few seasons later, with the players pictures on it, but somehow it got lost it in one of my house moves ☹️
  • Options
    Top left is definitely Mike Franklin.

And if that is Alan Dugdale (second bottom) ... well, let's say that it is a 'flattering' picture.  His hair had receded quite a bit when he joined us.

Not saying it's wrong, but are we sure that the bottom picture is Keith Peacock?

All the others are OK (so, Franklin, Dunn, Forster, Hunt, Shipperley, Warman, Reeves, ?, Tumbridge, ?)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    I don’t remember Franklin but if that is him he was with us  from 72 to 75 making 13 appearances which should rule out the likes of Tydeman, Campbell and Robinson. Is the short haired chap second to last Eamon Rogers 🤔.
    Eamon Rogers had longish curly bushy hair and a longish curly bushy beard.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

Ah yes rings a bell, never got to that many Saturday games in the 70’s as think I’ve mentioned before, I was playing myself, hence don’t recall ever seeing Franklin play.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

Ah yes rings a bell, never got to that many Saturday games in the 70’s as think I’ve mentioned before, I was playing myself, hence don’t recall ever seeing Franklin play.
    I can't really recall seeing Franklin either. Charlie Wright, Derek Bellotti, John Dunn, Jeff Wood, Buster Tutt etc

"Bellotti's not Bonetti, we can tell, tell, tell",  sung the Covered Endafter a cross fumbled which ended up in our net.

Eamonn Rogers picked up some troublesome injuries I think, missed lots of games.
    Ireland international. Cultured AM, lovely touch on the ball. Erm, not the quickest.

Swapped the legendary Barry Endean for him, who went to Blackburn Rovers in exchange, didn't we?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Spot on and corroborated by wiki Oggy;

He made an ill-advised move to Charlton Athletic in an exchange deal involving Barry Endean in October 1971 and spent two injury hit seasons there. He retired from professional football at the end 1973-74 season aged just 27.
  • Options
    Bellotti had to be the shortest keeper I’ve seen. Wasn’t he about 5’9”?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Corroborated by wiki Oggy;

He made an ill-advised move to Charlton Athletic in an exchange deal involving Barry Endean in October 1971 and spent two injury hit seasons there. He retired from professional football at the end 1973-74 season aged just 27.
    Ah, thank you, Mr Chaser. I hadn't remembered that he'd had to retire so young. That's a shame for any player.

I was just trying to recall distant memories, my personal impressions - but things can sometimes blur into each other after best part of half a century.
    I suppose you know what I mean? :smile:

• Options
    Bellotti had to be the shortest keeper I’ve seen. Wasn’t he about 5’9”?
    Les Green former Derby County keeper has that honour for me who was only 5’8” apparently 😉.
  • Options
    Derek Forster was only 5’9”.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone one.

Museum doesn't own the scarf, just saw the pic on twitter, but we'll get one sooner or later.
  • Options
    Mike Franklin
    John Dunn
    Derek Foster
    Peter Hunt
    Dave Shipperley
    Phil Warman
    Peter Reeves
    Mick Jones
    Ray Tunbridge
    Keith Peacock

100% this. Well played sir.

I also had the scarf. Sold it to a frightened  Peterbrough fan in April 75 as he saw our fans run across the pitch pre match to take their end. Sold it for £1.20 and brought a new one for 70p the next home game.
    LOL.
    I have a mental image of a Charlton mob getting in this hapless innocent's face with a bit of "you're gonna get your f***ing head kicked in" before bolloxbolder steps forward from the mob "excuse me Sir, may I interest you in this beautiful bespoke silk scarf, with atttractive red lettering and amusing red tassle, adorned with fetching players portraits - yours for a bargain £1.20, or else"
    He stood next to me in the front row behind the goal in the away end. We got shoved aside as our hooligans jumped over the low wall and onto the pitch. It was an easy sell after that.