Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We had a bigger attendance than...

We got 17,639 on Saturday which is not bad in my opinion, maybe around what you'd expect and of course helped by the Massives 3,000. 
Having a quick glance at the Championship attendances we had more people in than: 
 Cardiff City v Barnsley – 17,431
 Derby County v Huddersfield Town – 16,249
 Queens Park Rangers v Millwall – 16,127
 Fulham v Middlesbrough – 16,058
 Preston North End v Hull City – 12,452
 Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City – 10,260
 Luton Town v Peterborough United – 10,019
 AFC Bournemouth v West Bromwich Albion – 9,254

I'm a little surprised by this, I know Derby are a mess at the moment but shocked to see their attendance so low for them. Are a fair amount of people put off by going to a football match due to feeling anxious about covid? 

Comments

• Options
    Only 10k at Blackburn . That’s poor 
  • Options
    Derby are not selling season tickets, walk ups only.. so there numbers are pretty big considering. 
  • Options
    well over 30,000 at Sunderland and 20,000 + at Ipswich who'll need the ticket cash to pay all the new boys
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    We got 17,639 on Saturday which is not bad in my opinion, maybe around what you'd expect and of course helped by the Massives 3,000. 
    Having a quick glance at the Championship attendances we had more people in than: 

I'm a little surprised by this, I know Derby are a mess at the moment but shocked to see their attendance so low for them. Are a fair amount of people put off by going to a football match due to feeling anxious about covid? 
    And Stoke. They only had 9,068 which is awful. 
  • Options
    I think I saw somewhere that their cheapest season ticket is £450 or something like that. In a working class area, probably hit massively by the pandemic, it's just ridiculous. Quite a bit more expensive than the season before the pandemic too I believe. 
  • Options

They had 19K
  • Options
    I think I saw somewhere that their cheapest season ticket is £450 or something like that. In a working class area, probably hit massively by the pandemic, it's just ridiculous. Quite a bit more expensive than the season before the pandemic too I believe. 
    they have never had what might be called 'mega' support even years ago when winning the top title .. an area with a large non football going Asian population and lots of competition from other clubs in Lancashire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester
  • Options
    Blackburn have been poorly supported for generations. They rarely sold out even when winning the premier league. Average attendance of 25,272 in a ground that held over 30,000 (biggest attendance that season was 30,545 against Newcastle)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They had 19K
    Sounds more likely but definitely reported as 9,068 in the papers. Someone can't type!
  • Options
    Bit of a stretch to include Luton and Bournemouth! 10k has got to be a sell out for Luton and Bournemouth doesn't hold much more.
    Bournemouth getting 9k, i thought that was shocking.
  • Options
    Bit of a stretch to include Luton and Bournemouth! 10k has got to be a sell out for Luton and Bournemouth doesn't hold much more.
    Particularly considering West Brom would have brought plenty with them.
  • Options

They had 19K
    Sounds more likely but definitely reported as 9,068 in the papers. Someone can't type!

• Options
    Poor though their capacity is only 11364

I always though Bournemouth missed out on reaching a whole new generation of fans due to their small ground. In the PL they could have easily sold 20000, as many of those would have stuck around for at least the first season of Championship football
  • Options
    Had heard a few weeks ago they had only sold 3k season tickets. Fans very disillusioned. Same capacity as the valley roughly.
  • Options
    Exactly what has been said to me in me local. Not sure the exact price but that was the point that was made. Also  area demographics changing and club has not tried to address this sufficiently.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Exactly what has been said to me in me local. Not sure the exact price but that was the point that was made. Also  area demographics changing and club has not tried to address this sufficiently.
    do they have the same problem as we had under Duchatelet ? .. that is a hatred of the owners ? .. Venkys are still putting money into the club and Rovers are holding their own in the Championship .. Saturday's win over Swansea was a very good result .. last time I was there there was a cute young girl singer/guitarist (somebody Clough ?)playing in the space next to the stands and plenty going on around the ground.. I know sometimes it is inevitable, but I don't like to see any founder member of the Football League struggling
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Bournemouth may have a tiny ground of just over 11k, but still think 9,200 is poor attendance for first game of the season against a relegated premier league side, especially considering 1,200 of that was a sold out away end. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bournemouth may have a tiny ground of just over 11k, but still think 9,200 is poor attendance for first game of the season against a relegated premier league side, especially considering 1,200 of that was a sold out away end. 
    you need to check their attendances before their promotion push and time at the top .. I don't know, but I doubt that over time the Cherries have historically attracted big attendances,  and not enlarging their stadium or moving to a new and bigger one might prove to be a shrewd move as inevitably (I M O) their time at the top was always going to be short term and the owners would not want to be left with a white elephant, that is a big and expensive stadium that would never (or very rarely) be full of money spending spectators 
  • Options
    you need to check their attendances before their promotion push and time at the top .. I don't know, but I doubt that over time the Cherries have historically attracted big attendances,  and not enlarging their stadium or moving to a new and bigger one might prove to be a shrewd move as inevitably (I M O) their time at the top was always going to be short term and the owners would not want to be left with a white elephant, that is a big and expensive stadium that would never (or very rarely) be full of money spending spectators 
    Lucky Dutchetwat owns ours!
  • Options
    Lucky Dutchetwat owns ours!
    and ain't that a kick in the head !!
  • Options
    Blackburn have been poorly supported for generations. They rarely sold out even when winning the premier league. Average attendance of 25,272 in a ground that held over 30,000 (biggest attendance that season was 30,545 against Newcastle)
    To be fair, the population of Blackburn is only 120,000 and most of the other major towns in the area have league teams; Preston, Burnley and even Accrington. 
  • Options
    do they have the same problem as we had under Duchatelet ? .. that is a hatred of the owners ? .. Venkys are still putting money into the club and Rovers are holding their own in the Championship .. Saturday's win over Swansea was a very good result .. last time I was there there was a cute young girl singer/guitarist (somebody Clough ?)playing in the space next to the stands and plenty going on around the ground.. I know sometimes it is inevitable, but I don't like to see any founder member of the Football League struggling
    Venkys are less unpopular now than at first when they made loads of Duchelet / Meire style mistakes. Now go under the radar much more. Have been around for years. Doesnt make them popular, just not as unpopular as they once were.
  • Options
    Venkys are less unpopular now than at first when they made loads of Duchelet / Meire style mistakes. Now go under the radar much more. Have been around for years. Doesnt make them popular, just not as unpopular as they once were.
    Is that less unpopular because fewer and fewer people are giving a shit anymore and are simply fading away ?
  • Options
    Is that less unpopular because fewer and fewer people are giving a shit anymore and are simply fading away ?
    Not just that, they make fewer mistakes than they did. Have put their hand in their pocket for a few transfers as well. But it's been championship mid table life for a bit now. Can you imagine how shit that would be?
  • Options
    Blackburn were without their star player on Saturday (Armstrong who's about to leave), had a bench full of kids and seem to have made NO signings at all this summer. Hardly surprising that crowds are down
  • Options
    Venky's are plugging £400k a week losses!