Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We had a bigger attendance than...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bournemouth may have a tiny ground of just over 11k, but still think 9,200 is poor attendance for first game of the season against a relegated premier league side, especially considering 1,200 of that was a sold out away end. 
    Not sure if they have a reduced capacity but their own site and a couple of match reports have said it was sold out.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ferryman said:
    Only 10k at Blackburn . That’s poor 
    I think I saw somewhere that their cheapest season ticket is £450 or something like that. In a working class area, probably hit massively by the pandemic, it's just ridiculous. Quite a bit more expensive than the season before the pandemic too I believe. 
    Venky's are plugging £400k a week losses!
    That apostrophe is everywhere.

It's actually correct though, I think, as it's a brand name;
    https://venkys.com/about-us/
  • Options
    edited August 2021

"It is expected for Blackburn Rovers to have 30-40,000 every week. The reason for this is that Rovers are a big club - in a small town. This is a unique footballing anomaly.

Rovers are too small to compete with Manchester United and Liverpool but too big to accept the mediocrity of bland clubs like Burnley, Preston North End, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion, Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace etc."

Just the right time for a classic bit of Bleakburn mythology. Always kept it to wheel out at work whenever we or others mentioned beat them.

• Options

"It is expected for Blackburn Rovers to have 30-40,000 every week. The reason for this is that Rovers are a big club - in a small town. This is a unique footballing anomaly.

Rovers are too small to compete with Manchester United and Liverpool but too big to accept the mediocrity of bland clubs like Burnley, Preston North End, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion, Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace etc."

Just the right time for a classic bit of Bleakburn mythology. Always kept it to wheel out at work whenever we or others mentioned beat them.

Well i agree with that part!
  • Options

that is a very bitter website...

https://ewoodpark.jimdofree.com/attendances-the-blackburn-attendance-myth/
  • Options

Bought their promotion and title before it was the norm.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    I think I saw somewhere that their cheapest season ticket is £450 or something like that. In a working class area, probably hit massively by the pandemic, it's just ridiculous. Quite a bit more expensive than the season before the pandemic too I believe. 

You put it after the s though?  An s' is not solely for plural, it is also used where s is at the end of a proper noun and the final syllable is pronounced with a vowel sound.  Otherwise it'd be s's.  All bollox anyway this Victorian grammar police:  As I understand it this rule in grammar is very recent anyway, and nothing to worry about it as it's clearly not clear to all!

The Venkys fund them and support Blackburn to around £20 million losses per year.  They threaten the play offs at times but from a distance they don't appear to have the squad to sustain a challenge.  Bradley Dack was a big loss for them in the 19/20 season.  Appear to be quite well run for a Champ club now, just utter madness that the majority of their average players are getting lower Prem wages of 10-12 years ago.  Apart from the Venkys' utter disaster of replacing Allardyce with Steve Kean, they may have made other mistakes but have funded a club that has virtually no hope of getting near their outlay until they make the prem.
  • Options
    Bit of a stretch to include Luton and Bournemouth! 10k has got to be a sell out for Luton and Bournemouth doesn't hold much more.
    Bournemouth getting 9k, i thought that was shocking.
    Ground only holds 11,364 so percentage wise -plus evening TV kick off- that's pretty impressive.
  • Options

Bloody hell. Bitter indeed. A chip on their shoulder doesn’t begin to cover it. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Bloody hell. Bitter indeed. A chip on their shoulder doesn’t begin to cover it. 
    Reads like it's written by some spotty 14 year old getting angry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Blackburn were without their star player on Saturday (Armstrong who's about to leave), had a bench full of kids and seem to have made NO signings at all this summer. Hardly surprising that crowds are down
    I don’t buy the excuse that lack of signings for any team should result in a downturn in attendances for an occasion like Saturday was.

People might think differently, but I went into Saturday purely with the spectacle/occasion in mind and couldn’t really give a toss about the depth of squad etc. 

I know that will likely change as time goes on, but for the landmark/historic day of what Saturday was going to be, I wasn’t going to be missing it because we don’t have a back up left back or whatever. I wasn’t going to be missing it for anything!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Our protests were so much betters than Blackburn's. The grammar police would never have let an apostrophe like this one slip through the net.

The takeover has been one of the tumultuous in English football and has included fan protests
    Why oh why do people put an apostrophe with a plural? Of course, everyone makes mistakes but I see this one more and more often. It's so uncomplicated too, so why?
  • Options
    If if the club releases good news about the Red Red Robin in the next couple of hours, tonight we will get 20,000.
    Nailed on.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Our protests were so much betters than Blackburn's. The grammar police would never have let an apostrophe like this one slip through the net.

The takeover has been one of the tumultuous in English football and has included fan protests
    Why oh why do people put an apostrophe with a plural? Of course, everyone makes mistakes but I see this one more and more often. It's so uncomplicated too, so why?
    It's not a plural though. Google venkys and you'll see venky's is correct in every instance as it's a brand name.
  • Options
    Ahhh so they use the apostrophe s to indicate the omission of letters from their actual name.  Really should have just stuck with Venkys as an abbreviation.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Well its complicated for me. Its' never easy for me to get my grey matter around.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Interesting!  Also interesting are some of the photos on that website. If ever there's a film made of their struggles, I think Matt Berry should play the part of Mr. B. Balaji Rao.