Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    If anybody actually watching this thinks our midfield is good enough......
    Think that we've brought in a couple of duds. 
    After 2 games...have a word...
    People are allowed opinions. I hope I’m proved wrong but my opinion is that two players who have been at best average performers in mid / lower table league one teams up to now won’t be running games at the top of the division all of a sudden.

Kirk has the right hallmarks and credentials. We need to sign another 6-7 of his level.
    Opinions are fine but to say they are "duds" after 2 games is daft. 
    By the sound of it the whole team are having a shocker.
    Simple fact is that they will have better games..the whole team will.
  • Options
    Watson coming on.

That will get us a goal for sure.
    The sad thing is that he's better than Dobson. 
  • Options
    Who is in charge of our set pieces? Because they are all dogshit
  • Options
    Referee has totally guessed there. Wasn’t even looking!
  • Options
    And got it wrong. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just to stick it in there, but all the comments about Albie being so involved and seeing a lot of the ball in our good play etc. Like he's a one man show, but, isn't that the point though? Like, thats his positions remit?

He's supposed to be our 10 and main creative force of course he's gonna be involved in it, doesn't mean he's any good at it though.

And before I get hung by the CL positivity inquisition, I like the lad and think he'll come good, but saying "he's getting involved" like it's something magical when it's his one job.. ya, I dunno.
    It's the whole teams job to yet involved.

Of course, but like with the Washington/ DJ comment you just said about why only one seems to be attacking, maybe thsts down to coaching instructions,  "wash be more advanced, weaker down that side, DJ hold more for balance" "give the ball to Morgan to make things happen" etc? 

Much like a winger, Morgan will blow hot and cold as a creative player, he's still had a pretty stop start career so far, measured opinions an 'all. 

Think he'll look s lot better when Gilbey is back and we can manage his game time more personally.
    So we're waiting for the end of August to bring in some premier/championship youngsters who will more likely be Smith/Levitt quality rather than a Gallagher / Cullen.

We're also waiting for Gilbey so we can put Morgan on the bench. Gilbey could be out for months. Although he is back training (I think), we don't know what effect Covid has had on him & how long it will be before he can take part in a game.

I think this will be a long hard season.

Hope not, I'm very much in the "sign a creative CM/AM camp.

Considering Watson isn't supposed to even be on the bench (like Pearce) see the midfield trio as

Dobson
    Gilbey
    Other

Clare, Morgan bench.
  • Options
    75. Charlton win a freekick as Gorrin goes in late in the middle of the park #OUFC 2-1 #CAFC
  • Options
    Our set pieces... Lord help me.
  • Options
    1. 75'

Post update

Foul by Ryan Inniss (Charlton Athletic).

2. 75'

Post update

Matty Taylor (Oxford United) wins a free kick on the left wing.

• Options
    Get Morgan off set pieces 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AFC Don's back to 3-3 after being 3 down. 
  • Options
    Wimbledon go from 3-1 down to 3-3 in a couple of mins.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Our set pieces... Lord help me.
    Looked like only Morgan and Watson had any clue of what was happening there.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

71' SUB | Ben Watson is on for George Dobson. #oufc 2 #cafc 1

This is exactly why this absolute nonsense at daring to praise Ipswich for signing some footballers and them not winning every game at the beginning of a new season is any absolute dogshit defence of what we've done in this window so far.

They've got a completely new team who are going to be still gelling over the first few months. We've basically thrown away August, and then are either going to be going forward with not enough additions to the squad, or doing loads of business late so that our team will still be gelling late in September.
  • Options
    Long ball... Long ball... Long ball...
  • Options
    We're not creating much
  • Options
    Every one of our front 3 look completely isolated. No connection between them or runners off them. 
  • Options
    Gunter 🙄
  • Options
    78. SUB: On comes Nathan Holland, who replaces Mark Sykes #OUFC 2-1 #CAFC
  • Options
    Boring football. Gonna be a long season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    If anybody actually watching this thinks our midfield is good enough......
    Think that we've brought in a couple of duds. 
    After 2 games...have a word...
    People are allowed opinions. I hope I’m proved wrong but my opinion is that two players who have been at best average performers in mid / lower table league one teams up to now won’t be running games at the top of the division all of a sudden.

Kirk has the right hallmarks and credentials. We need to sign another 6-7 of his level.
    Opinions are fine but to say they are "duds" after 2 games is daft. 
    By the sound of it the whole team are having a shocker.
    Simple fact is that they will have better games..the whole team will.
    Take away wishful thinking for a minute.  Take away the eternal optimism that comes with being a Charlton fan (Golfie excluded).

Now ... how long does it take you, how many games do you need to see the limitations and shortcomings of Clare and Dobson?

They are ordinary, journeymen players who have been offloaded by League 1 teams.  The same for Jaiyesimi.

That midfield (Morgan included) will not get us out of League 1.  Kirk will help, but we much, much more.

Oh and apologies @ValleyGary for being 'fucking mental'.
  • Options
    Are we actually doing anything ok? Could I get a game?
  • Options
    80. Good turn in midfield by Holland who is brought down and wins a foul for United #OUFC 2-1 #CAFC
  • Options
    Hopefully Chucks will come on & grab a goal ........Oh

Well hopefully Chucks replacement will come on & grab a goal ........Oh

Erm ........
    Catch 22 because anyone who is happy to sit on the bench behind Stockley probably isn’t good enough. No Premier League club is going to loan us a striker to sit on the bench either.
    Maybe we should of thought of this when deciding to play with just one up front, it's just ridiculous & even more so when Stockley is that one. Yes he'll run his nuts off & will get a fair amount of headed goals but it's not going to be enough. Yes Adkins has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the game but there is no way we'll win promotion playing Stockley up front on his own.
  • Options

81' Good save from MacGillivray to pluck a goal-bound Oxford effort out of the top corner. #oufc 2 #cafc 1
  • Options
    This is painfully bad.
  • Options
    This is dreadful. Our midfield might as well not be playing. 
  • Options
    Wimbledon go from 3-1 down to 3-3 in a couple of mins.
    On for a triple golfie if they score again?
  • Options
    Watson should be no where near a L1 team
  • Options
    Matthews is the least attack minded right back I've ever seen
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!