Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Landline telephones.

I heard on the wireless that landline telephones will go in 2025.
Very poor decision for those in remote areas without a signal from outer space, who arguably have more need for a telephone than most.
It will also have a negative impact on the older and poorer people.
What happens to telephone boxes?

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Very poor decision for those in remote areas without a signal from outer space, who arguably have more need for a telephone than most.
    Won’t the 5G network be complete by 2025 so signal shouldn’t be an issue ? As for public telephones. Who on Earth needs them now ? 
  • seth plum said:
    Won’t the 5G network be complete by 2025 so signal shouldn’t be an issue ? As for public telephones. Who on Earth needs them now ? 
    Tourists, well the red ones anyway.
  • so what will ticket offices/call centers etc do? forward calls to staff mobiles?

• If there are any areas not covered by 5g, I'd suggest a satellite phone is probably a better alternative that maintaining a whole network just for a few outliers.

You asked what would happen to phone boxes, but we know what's happening to them anyway don't we. Some are taken down and sold off as garden ornaments or shower cubicals. Some are left in place and used as internet points, book-swap shelves or defibrillator cabinets. Most of them around my way are used us urinals - it was ever the same.
  • so what will ticket offices/call centers etc do? forward calls to staff mobiles?

I would assume they will use Teams or Skype or other such internet based call systems? 

the physical unit of a telephone will still be there, just that the call will get there via a different route. Call centres will still be staffed by people with phones and headsets...
  • Stig said:
    If there are any areas not covered by 5g, I'd suggest a satellite phone is probably a better alternative that maintaining a whole network just for a few outliers.

You asked what would happen to phone boxes, but we know what's happening to them anyway don't we. Some are taken down and sold off as garden ornaments or shower cubicals. Some are left in place and used as internet points, book-swap shelves or defibrillator cabinets. Most of them around my way are used us urinals - it was ever the same.
    Urinals and a place for the brothels to put their advertisement cards in.
  • I think this means that everyone who still needs a landline will need to get a new IP phone to replace their existing analogue phone. After that, the user will have the same use and service as before. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• my computer,also I have a Internet radio both connected with a ethernet cable because its better than wifi.
  • Will somebody please think of the brasses and the calling cards 
  • shine166 said:
    Will somebody please think of the brasses and the calling cards 
    we'll have to put a concert on for them
  • mobile signal is terrible,anyone who listens to phone in programmes will know.
  • edited August 2021

I think this means that everyone who still needs a landline will need to get a new IP phone to replace their existing analogue phone. After that, the user will have the same use and service as before. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly, nothing will change, except some cables being swapped, a new socket being fitted and changing phones and tariff with a provider.

Fibre cables will be connected to everything, from bus stops to street lamps. We are going to get a network that is fit for purpose and that should eliminate many of the problems of the old one. 

• Moved house and haven't set the landline up,.used to only get text messages sent to it by one of my wife's friends. At work we are moving to "micolab" which means you make calls through your mobile or computer with a headset, and since lockdown there have been more Teams and Zoom calls
  • My understanding is that landlines are connected by wires, either underground or from up telegraph poles.
    If that stops happening then people will be obliged to be connected through the air somehow.
    Leaving aside issues regarding who might provide that service and costs, what about if you live somewhere, I dunno, a deep valley or something, and the signal doesn’t get through?
    I seem to remember one of the earlier set ups to deal with that kind of thing was something called Plumstead Cable TV because of the topography in the hilly part of Plumstead leading up to the commons.
    Is the loss of landlines really going to be easy peasy for everybody?
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    My understanding is that landlines are connected by wires, either underground or from up telegraph poles.
    If that stops happening then people will be obliged to be connected through the air somehow.
    Leaving aside issues regarding who might provide that service and costs, what about if you live somewhere, I dunno, a deep valley or something, and the signal doesn’t get through?
    I seem to remember one of the earlier set ups to deal with that kind of thing was something called Plumstead Cable TV because of the topography in the hilly part of Plumstead leading up to the commons.
    Yes.  No-one is going to be cut off. 

In the same way that no-one lost the ability to cook when we moved to North Sea gas, no-one was unable to drive when two-star petrol was phased out; and no-one was unable to spend money when decimal currency was introduced.  

I suspect you even know people that can still receive BBC television without an aerial.  
  • Stig said:
    If there are any areas not covered by 5g, I'd suggest a satellite phone is probably a better alternative that maintaining a whole network just for a few outliers.

We are an outlier in a valley where we don't even get 4g.  With fibre ending half a mile away and copper overhead wires to the house we only get 12mb internet download on a good day.  BT say that's as good as it's ever going to get.

Sometimes have to switch off video on Zoom calls so I stay connected and on Charlton Live streaming I expect to lose 10 minutes of the game with signal failures.

Never answer the landline but use it to call people back on the landline when the mobile signal fails, so unfortunately it continues to have a use.

Satellite phones with download speeds of 2.4kbps are OK for voice calls but nothing else.

Don't care if there's no landline as long a I have been supplied with the same access to a communication network as most everyone else.

• edited August 2021
    so what will ticket offices/call centers etc do? forward calls to staff mobiles?

I have my office phone on my desk at home with an ethernet cable plugged into my router. Work calls are received via that phone. I have a wireless headset connected to my work phone.
  • seth plum said:
    Mobile networks wouldn't have the capacity. 
  • One of my mates has the old red phone box converted into a shower, looks the bollocks.
  • seth plum said:
    My understanding is that landlines are connected by wires, either underground or from up telegraph poles.
    Wires will be used for Wi-fi  and a landline if you want one for a while yet.  They're digging up my pavement at this moment putting in new fibre wires so I don't think there's any way they will not be sing them in 5 years time!
  • Seth, chill your tits 

Its been a desire for some time to go full fibre in the UK which is a good thing, its a hundred times more reliable and less complex than a copper network. Nobody will be losing their landline but you will have a strand of glass acting as the conduit for your phone calls as opposed to a copper wire. Voice over IP, which is phone calls over broadband is the norm for so many businesses now and it is also a huge factor in enabling desk based workers to work remotely through this pandemic

The phone network will largely look the same with poles and underground boxes with metal lids as well as the green boxes at the side of roads. One thing that may change is telephone exchanges won't be needed, just hubs. So whilst we may all rub our hands together thinking of the positive impact that will have in BT group shares remember all those vehicles that are currently parked in these exchanges will be coming to a residential street near you 

No service provider wants to send phone signal over airwaves if they can help it as that requires a line of sight and trees can be pesky for interfering with that line of sight as well as that method being expensive 

• The Mail on Saturday 'broke' this story I believe, short on detail, authoritative sources (or any sources!), and pitched to scare and satisfy it's readership. It was then picked up by the media group's news network  I presume, including the radio  station Seth first heard it on.