Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Landline telephones.

13»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    A surprising feature of this thread is the temptation for some people to take the piss out of the older and concerned people, rather than debate all the practical issues.
    It looks as if it might be ‘progress’ but at the cost of casting some others adrift judging by some of the responses from some posters.
    In explaining the technical solutions such as they may be it has led (for me) to more confusion.
    Anyway, is Plumstead Cable Television still going?
    Plumstead cable became Greenwich cablevision which began Cable & wireless which became NTL which became Virgin, I think.
    I think this sort of thing happened all over the country.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    After years of slow internet our village received BT ultrafast broadband in April.  In mid June BT informed me out of the blue that they were doing away with my 'copper' landline at the beginning of July and I would have to have a digital voice handset which would work via the hub.  They informed me the handset would not work during a power cut and therefore advised that in the case of a power cut I would need to use a mobile.    

I have managed to change the cut off date but not sure how many times the system will allow me to do this. We regularly have power cuts - two within the last fortnight, lasting several hours. We also have no mobile reception.

It's a big concern that I will be unable to access the emergency services should I need them during a power cut, given the frequency off power cuts here. I will also have to go to the expense of buying extra handsets as they will only provide one free of charge.

BT are well aware of the problems this changeover will cause in rural areas.

How often have you had to call emergency services in the past, during a power cut? 
    I haven't but if I needed to it was reassuring to have the landline! 
    So, this is an interesting answer and thank you for it.  What you now have is a situation whereby you want to be protected against being unable to do something you've never been unable to do in the past. 

Who should carry the cost of that protection? 
    I'd have thought the service provider. 

Until local conditions improve surely it is incumbent on them to maintain the same level of service.  They are more than  happy to take the client's money, let them provide the service.  They wouldn't treat a business client with such contempt.

• Options
    Stig said:
    seth plum said:
    A surprising feature of this thread is the temptation for some people to take the piss out of the older and concerned people, rather than debate all the practical issues.
    It looks as if it might be ‘progress’ but at the cost of casting some others adrift judging by some of the responses from some posters.
    In explaining the technical solutions such as they may be it has led (for me) to more confusion.
    Plumstead cable became Greenwich cablevision which began Cable & wireless which became NTL which became Virgin, I think.
    Please forgive my shaky recall. I had a friend who lived in Nadine Street in Charlton, adjacent to half way up the hill of Charlton Church Lane. His house was nestled in the corner of Nadine Street in the lee of a huge hill, and by necessity back in the day he had early Plumstead Cable TV.
    That was provided either free, or for a nominal fee and a forever contract, but as the profit making people took over he was continually hassled to upgrade or take out a new contract at a huge price hike.
    Unsurprisingly he told them to get stuffed. I don’t know the end of the story, maybe other locals can throw some light on it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Stig said:
    seth plum said:
    Please forgive my shaky recall. I had a friend who lived in Nadine Street in Charlton, adjacent to half way up the hill of Charlton Church Lane. His house was nestled in the corner of Nadine Street in the lee of a huge hill, and by necessity back in the day he had early Plumstead Cable TV.
    That was provided either free, or for a nominal fee and a forever contract, but as the profit making people took over he was continually hassled to upgrade or take out a new contract at a huge price hike.
    Unsurprisingly he told them to get stuffed. I don’t know the end of the story, maybe other locals can throw some light on it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Cablevision

• Options
    Thank you Guinness.
    Fascinating bit of local cultural history.
  • Options
    The only people who use my landline are my mother and scammers. I decided to get rid of it but Virgin told me the best value package included it which seemed a bit silly but hey ho.
  • Options
    The only people who use my landline are my mother and scammers. I decided to get rid of it but Virgin told me the best value package included it which seemed a bit silly but hey ho.
    A different company for us, but the same story. We just unplugged the phone and threw it in the bin. Untold benefits in the calls we no longer receive ;)