Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    They could have had 3 or 4. Have we had a shot?
    Technically yes. 
  • Options
    This is so grim
    But I honestly don't think we will go down with this team??
    Sad that this is even thought about. Shows how bad we've gotten. 
  • Options
    So glad that we dropped out did keeper otherwise we would be 0-3 down
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    Two shots, none on target BBC
    Three shots and one on target (whenever that was), the same as Wigan on BBC.
  • Options
    Have you ever seen a guy in the pub who’s blown a fortune on the fruit machine but can’t stop now in case it’s just about to pay out?

That’s basically us with Albie Morgan corners at this point.
  • Options
    Dobson playing well. We are seriously crying out for a number 10. Albie is a number 8 type player, he’s not a 10. 

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    But Wigan have had more than one on target. 

Seems like the BBC stats are very incorrect. 
  • Options
    We’ve looked okayish in possession on a couple of occasions, in particular a couple of tidy moments from Morgan and Kirk, to try and find a positive from the performance.

on the negative front… they’ve had 4 or 5 clear cut chances and we have had precisely zero. Watson’s attempted spectacular volley the only remotely meaningful attempt on goal I can even think of.

This translates to me as extremely worrying; our defence is supposed to be our strong point but we are handing out chances left right and centre, and attacking wise we have no goals in us whatsoever and look like we’ll rely primarily on set pieces. 

Also george Dobson looks like a less dynamic george lapslie. 

Still in the game though - we need to draw first blood. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Only shows 1 shot on target for Wigan yet our keeper made several saves?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    1 very wide & not very handsome.

Very poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a 20 min spell of possession,  but haven't looked like scoring once... We are competing,  but just don't have anyone to play that killer ball. Mcgivallry is playing a blinder, they could have had a couple
  • Options
    do we need a whole new team? we dont even look average
  • Options
    do we need a whole new team? we dont even look average
    This is our depth playing, not the first 11
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    Three  shots, one on target BBC
    Out of interest how many shots on target have we had this season.
    Sheff We’d was one shot on target
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    But Wigan have had more than one on target. 

Seems like the BBC stats are very incorrect. 
    2 good saves from our supposed dud and they also hit the bar
  • Options
    Not done enough first half, thanks to Mac we are still in there, but we are still in this game and have it in us to get this one, Wigan have been more decisive, but come on lads get into it second half
  • Options
    Grew into the game but havent certainly gotten away with it.

Lots of pretty passes in midfield but with no end product so far

As already said, our tactic of lobbing it to Stockley is far too obvious, and when it is played up to him away from goal he's far too isolated from Kirk and Jaiyesemi.

Crosses certainly need to be away from Amos more, know we've a bit of a new squad, and he had a phobia dealing with long shots, but Ben will come and collect crosses close to him all afternoon long!! 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Sounds like more of the same, sadly. Not even convinced we can win, even if we score first.
  • Options
    Desperate for a 10 I know I keep saying it but Albie is completely lost a season in the conference is where he needs to go, he lacks any drive to push forward and open teams uo
  • Options
    Had tons of the ball but done eff all with it. Midfield looks less porous with Watson and Dobson but passing has been so ‘safe’, and we’ve not even go that right at times. Albie looks lacking in confidence. Kirk barely had a touch. Again, neither winger being helped by a lack of support and overlaps from full back and our crossing continues to be more frustrating than watching your dad use a computer. 

No real improvement on previous performances, for me and I’m not particularly impressed. 

Wigan not great either but could also easily be 3 or 4 up but for a couple of wasted chances and good saves by CM. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Only shows 1 shot on target for Wigan yet our keeper made several saves?
    One was given as a foul in the build up
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    That's nonsense. One off target from Watson is all I saw. They hit the bar and could have had 3 more.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    1 very wide & not very handsome.

Very poor.
    Relatively speaking (compared to the rest of the season) it’s actually been an incredible performance from Charlton so far.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Midfield is poor. You could see Stockley and Adkins visibly losing their shit with Morgan. Watson is same old same old and I’m less convinced of Dobson each time I watch him.

We are going nowhere fast with Matthews, Gunter and Watson in the starting XI.

Thankfully Matthews did start to push forward a bit in the last 10 minutes of the half but I’ve had enough of him getting to half way, passing forward then holding his position.

Gunter has been doing very similar on the left, albeit on his weaker foot. No wonder we look like we don’t have options in the final third.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Stockley screaming at Morgan there.
    Not surprised when Morgan takes an age and then passes it off to Dobson to put it in the box. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Chunes said:
    Three  shots, one on target BBC
    Out of interest how many shots on target have we had this season.
    Sheff We’d was one shot on target
    3 in both the other 2.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Half way to my nil nil score prediction. Keep it dull lads.
  • Options
    Our only idea is to get it wide and cross to Stockley. We must be so easy to play against.
  • Options
    BBC stats way off. MacGillivray has made THREE great saves. Last one probably the best.

One the other hand (geddit) we don't know if Amos is any good BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T HAD A SHOT ON TARGET.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!