Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What mess needs to be undone?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SamB09 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think CATV is brilliant I also think the move to YouTube for the prematch show was obvious but a very good decision.  I nearly booked a last minute flight to my holiday home to buy the stream, and I may well do in future regardless of the quality past 3pm.

The second sentence hurts my head. You were going to buy a flight to watch the stream?
    I think he was being sarcastic, and was talking about VPNs
  • Options
    Getting away from your initial.post here I suspect Rodders but going back to the tiredness of the Valley and its surroundings. I was in the East yesterday and watching the masses queue up for the usual poor fayre in the pissing rain was as bleak as ever
    I was at the Oval a couple of weeks ago. The choice.of different foods around the ground was unreal. Stalls selling foods from Curry's to Mexican.
    I'm sure there would be plenty of food businesses willing to set up there mobile kitchens and serve elsewhere on the concourse. It would give more choice and free up the bar areas. Might take a bit of planning, but anyone who's been to  a street food market knows they don't take up that much room.
    I got a burger in the ground yesterday because the queue for the van outside was huge and it was without doubt the worst burger I've ever had in my life. I don't even want to think about how much it cost.

Maybe I'm in a minority but if the food was even decent I would probably get something every game but I'll go elsewhere from now on. Against Wednesday I bought a pint at half time and they were waiting to pour until you'd ordered, I couldn't believe my eyes. And why do they need two crap lagers on anyway.

Apart from the kids reading the line ups out (which you can't hear anyway because the sound system is about 30 years old) the actual match day experience is really shit.
    The issues around the quality of what food and drink is available within the stadium is perhaps something that the Supporters Trust can pick up. It has a line into the club individuals don’t and could even do a survey to present to the club. Football has pretty much always abused the goodwill of it’s fans with what’s on offer in the stadiums. No excuse in this age for not offering a small range of high quality foods and drinks. I’m sure many more fans would take advantage of what’s on offer if it was decent. 
  • Options
    We could look at Germany at how they deliver quality fast food quickly in terms of a lot of their clubs. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    To be honest, I don’t see any way you can improve the commercial revenues of this club other than by negligible amounts.  Happy to be told otherwise 
    You are 100% correct.  How much you can even increase it in the championship is debatable. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'd happily go along and do some painting for free as long as I don't have to watch the football at the moment. I watch it on a stream as I can switch it off at the end. My son took his girlfriend yesterday and got zero enjoyment from the game. I warned him although I did pay for it! I have a decent journey driving home from the Valley and it is absolutely no fun making it when you feel so frustrated. 
  • Options
    Posted this on the 100% Adkins support thread but seems relevant for this one too:

I think we are maybe forgetting that it takes a lot longer than 12 months of stability and one summer transfer window to put right all the wrongs at our club since 2014 (and the Spivs before that). 

In terms of quality young players coming through, there is a time delay until the promising kids are old enough to make the first team. Roland probably killed the arrival of a number of 10 year olds post 2014 who would be about 17 now. It can’t be a coincidence that the quality and number of promising young players seems to have dried up - undoubtedly damaged by what is probably a decade of poor ownership and mismanagement. 

TS and NA are sowing the seeds of stability and success. It may not happen this season or even next (developing young talent takes a number of years). But even so there is still time to be in the premier league in 5 years even if we don’t go up this season.
  • Options
    Keep seeing on threads about the mess of the Duchatelet and previous eras and all of the "rebuilding" that needs doing and I have probably said that myself however thinking about it today in terms of actual details and required actions to undo things or relay the foundations what are they?

We are not an overly complicated business so I am just wondering what areas are requiring attention to undo the mess of the last 10 or so years.

This is being used as a reason/ explanation for the state of the playing squad so would be insightful to learn what issues are in place and how they are being addressed.

Do we have convoluted financial liabilities that are being unwound?

This is a genuine question as a joe bloggs fan who reads this forum and just turns up on a matchday I am not aware of issues off the field beyond what I read on here.  So are there issues with the academy, behind the scenes*,  transfer embargoes etc that are being addressed/ need to be addressed first before we can push on (or at least maintain the standard of last season)...if so perhaps there would be more understanding.

By this I don't mean stuff like Janet in accounts can't stand the clicking noise John makes when sucking his pen....just more material issues.

Of course no one would argue that the previous clowns and crooks caused huge damage to the clubs and we know about inflated leases on flats etc but are there other off the field stuff that is holding us back too? 

I can't see what they are or would be and of course a club can't reveal warts n' all but would be good to know as it may shine a light the "mess" that many are talking about as needing prolonged periods to "rebuild".

RCT- Bro ! 

It's good to read that someone else, less hysterical & paranoid than yours truly, has posted similar thoughts to my own.

I've previously stated that TS has been an avid communicator with supporters since the time he took over the reins at our club but of late, this has nosedived ...and I wonder what the reason might be for this. 

Many of the faithful are concerned about off field issues that might throw a light on the reasoning behind the seeming lack of funds available to the gaffer, although this may have been the master plan all along...But the budget for players does appear to have been restrictive of late unless we are misinterpreting the situation. 

There have been discussions on CL regarding individual members of staff ( if GR and his ilk can be lumped into that area) and whether they might be overstepping their briefs ( NOT Y fronts!) but also whether lack of staff in general is inevitably causing problems. So many possibilities, which Rodders hints at but there will be issues well beyond our ken, I'm certain.

I suggested recently that this might be a good time for Thomas to speak directly to supporters on Charlton TV with the aim of quelling some of the fears we are harbouring. No questions posed, just an honest, clear & well thought out "statement"  to lay certain cards on the table. Indeed, to "shine a light on the mess that many are talking about".

I believe that this would gain our owner a heck of a lot of respect - some of which has seemingly been eroded of late - and would be seen as a win win for all parties concerned. 

It's good to talk, isn't it ?
  • Options
    Posted this on the 100% Adkins support thread but seems relevant for this one too:

I think we are maybe forgetting that it takes a lot longer than 12 months of stability and one summer transfer window to put right all the wrongs at our club since 2014 (and the Spivs before that). 

In terms of quality young players coming through, there is a time delay until the promising kids are old enough to make the first team. Roland probably killed the arrival of a number of 10 year olds post 2014 who would be about 17 now. It can’t be a coincidence that the quality and number of promising young players seems to have dried up - undoubtedly damaged by what is probably a decade of poor ownership and mismanagement. 

TS and NA are sowing the seeds of stability and success. It may not happen this season or even next (developing young talent takes a number of years). But even so there is still time to be in the premier league in 5 years even if we don’t go up this season.
    So stability from Tommy is gonna be potential relegation to league 2 - which is a possibility if the ‘stable’ recruitment carries on in the same vein?

It started with Ronnie Schwartz but I see an element of TS being treated as some kind of messiah whatever he does.

Stability is one thing. Going backwards from the teams we had under supposed much worse ownerships past is another 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep seeing on threads about the mess of the Duchatelet and previous eras and all of the "rebuilding" that needs doing and I have probably said that myself however thinking about it today in terms of actual details and required actions to undo things or relay the foundations what are they?

We are not an overly complicated business so I am just wondering what areas are requiring attention to undo the mess of the last 10 or so years.

This is being used as a reason/ explanation for the state of the playing squad so would be insightful to learn what issues are in place and how they are being addressed.

This is a genuine question as a joe bloggs fan who reads this forum and just turns up on a matchday I am not aware of issues off the field beyond what I read on here.  So are there issues with the academy, behind the scenes*,  transfer embargoes etc that are being addressed/ need to be addressed first before we can push on (or at least maintain the standard of last season)...if so perhaps there would be more understanding.

By this I don't mean stuff like Janet in accounts can't stand the clicking noise John makes when sucking his pen....just more material issues.

Of course no one would argue that the previous clowns and crooks caused huge damage to the clubs and we know about inflated leases on flats etc but are there other off the field stuff that is holding us back too? 

I can't see what they are or would be and of course a club can't reveal warts n' all but would be good to know as it may shine a light the "mess" that many are talking about as needing prolonged periods to "rebuild".

RCT- Bro ! 

It's good to read that someone else, less hysterical & paranoid than yours truly, has posted similar thoughts to my own.

I've previously stated that TS has been an avid communicator with supporters since the time he took over the reins at our club but of late, this has nosedived ...and I wonder what the reason might be for this. 

Many of the faithful are concerned about off field issues that might throw a light on the reasoning behind the seeming lack of funds available to the gaffer, although this may have been the master plan all along...But the budget for players does appear to have been restrictive of late unless we are misinterpreting the situation. 

There have been discussions on CL regarding individual members of staff ( if GR and his ilk can be lumped into that area) and whether they might be overstepping their briefs ( NOT Y fronts!) but also whether lack of staff in general is inevitably causing problems. So many possibilities, which Rodders hints at but there will be issues well beyond our ken, I'm certain.

I suggested recently that this might be a good time for Thomas to speak directly to supporters on Charlton TV with the aim of quelling some of the fears we are harbouring. No questions posed, just an honest, clear & well thought out "statement"  to lay certain cards on the table. Indeed, to "shine a light on the mess that many are talking about".

I believe that this would gain our owner a heck of a lot of respect - some of which has seemingly been eroded of late - and would be seen as a win win for all parties concerned. 

I think that time is in September.
    Have you heard that something is planned for September or are you simply saying you think that IF a statement were to be made, it should be held off til then?

Apologies for confusion.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    From my perspective as an outsider, I'd say that an issue is around years of shoestring management. For over a decade now the club has tried to do everything on the cheap, there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought given to how best to do things. When you're understaffed, your daily focus tends to be just what do we need to get by. I don't get the feeling that anyone at the club puts much effort into trying to do things better. It has the feel of an organisation stuck in a rut. The whole culture is 'that'll do'. For those of a certain vintage, you might want to think back to news reports about British Leyland in the 70s. That is exactly the feel that Charlton Athletic has to me.

I'll give you an example. We walked out of the club shop empty handed yesterday. We would have spent at least £50, maybe nearer £100, but couldn't be bothered to wait. I know they are limited for space, but they have just a couple of tills stuck in the corner with a queue going right around the outside walls (stopping anyone not in the queue from browsing). There used to be a whole line of tills, but like everything else it's been pared back. Someone (and I don't know in this case whether it's someone within the club or some outside franchisee) has viewed the service provided as a cost, and has made cut backs. That may have been a pragmatic decision to make the shop viable. The trouble is, when you do that sort of thing across a whole business, everything goes into nose dive.

I think a related issue is lack of fan engagement. I can remember in the past the club used to get lots of things done free, or at least very cheaply, by engaging the fans to help out. People will do that, if they are genuinely excited about their club and feel a part of it. That line goodwill was very quickly severed by Duchatelet and Meire. Sandgaard has the opportunity to rebuild that culture if he wants. But it will be incredibly difficult, if people don't even want to attend The Valley for matches, let alone work parties.
    Agree with this, the last paragraph in particular. The culture of the place is all wrong and that's because it has been framed by the Duchatelet/Meire era. I would have had Keohane out on day one, not for reasons of spite (I've had no dealings with him) but because he is the chief remaining representative of that era and I know good people left in part so as not to have to deal with him. There are some talented and committed staff, but people are also knackered from years of mismanagement. Relationships with useful volunteers need to be rebuilt. I think there is some understanding of that.
    That’s where we differ, I’d do it out of spite. 😉
  • Options

So stability from Tommy is gonna be potential relegation to league 2 - which is a possibility if the ‘stable’ recruitment carries on in the same vein?

It started with Ronnie Schwartz but I see an element of TS being treated as some kind of messiah whatever he does.

Stability is one thing. Going backwards from the teams we had under supposed much worse ownerships past is another 
    Maybe time for some perspective. Just had a look at last season. After 4 games we’d just drawn at home 0-0 to Sunderland. We’d won 1, drawn 1, lost 2. We’d scored 3 goals and conceded 5 and had 4 points. In the Sunderland game we had no shots on target. But none of the bottom 4 at that point went down in the end and Blackpool were in the same position we are in now (4th bottom). They went on and got promoted via the play offs.

Our 5th game was a 1-0 win against Wigan and the start of our run of 6  wins and 7 games without defeat. After 11 games, only one of the bottom 4 at that time actually got relegated (Bristol Rovers).
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I suggested recently that this might be a good time for Thomas to speak directly to supporters on Charlton TV with the aim of quelling some of the fears we are harbouring. No questions posed, just an honest, clear & well thought out "statement"  to lay certain cards on the table. 

Agreed, its almost as if they hoped that putting out a sub-standard squad might go unnoticed, and they won't need to justify it. 
  • Options
    I'd happily go along and do some painting for free as long as I don't have to watch the football at the moment. I watch it on a stream as I can switch it off at the end. My son took his girlfriend yesterday and got zero enjoyment from the game. I warned him although I did pay for it! I have a decent journey driving home from the Valley and it is absolutely no fun making it when you feel so frustrated. 
    I have access to a spare ticket next week. I've offered it to some Charlton supporting friends but if they turn it down, that will be it. Normally I'd try to bring a 'neutral' mate along, but frankly I'd be too embarrassed to at the moment.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I have access to a spare ticket next week. I've offered it to some Charlton supporting friends but if they turn it down, that will be it. Normally I'd try to bring a 'neutral' mate along, but frankly I'd be too embarrassed to at the moment.
    Hopefully the under-par crowds will be an alarm bell to TS that the fans won't just be happy will L1 mediocrity (or worse!)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

RCT- Bro ! 

Have you heard that something is planned for September or are you simply saying you think that IF a statement were to be made, it should be held off til then?

Apologies for confusion.
    Just that I don’t see much point in TS addressing fans on what he hopes to do in the transfer market, which is a bear trap if it then doesn’t happen. Get some players and then explain if necessary, but deal in facts not promises.
    We need more of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

RCT- Bro ! 

Apologies for confusion.
    Just that I don’t see much point in TS addressing fans on what he hopes to do in the transfer market, which is a bear trap if it then doesn’t happen. Get some players and then explain if necessary, but deal in facts not promises.
    That seems sensible. Especially given he's already misstepped with the "blow the league" comment.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Maybe time for some perspective. Just had a look at last season. After 4 games we’d just drawn at home 0-0 to Sunderland. We’d won 1, drawn 1, lost 2. We’d scored 3 goals and conceded 5 and had 4 points. In the Sunderland game we had no shots on target. But none of the bottom 4 at that point went down in the end and Blackpool were in the same position we are in now (4th bottom). They went on and got promoted via the play offs.

Our 5th game was a 1-0 win against Wigan and the start of our run of 6  wins and 7 games without defeat. After 11 games, only one of the bottom 4 at that time actually got relegated (Bristol Rovers).
    I don’t know what to say anymore 
  • Options
    @RodneyCharltonTrotta and all, in this thread I've just whacked up the annual salary budgets for last season in L1, according to data provided by that website (I also try to list all the obvious reason why it can't be taken as 100% accurate). Thought I'd leave it there rather than put it all up here so that there we can discuss the budget in detail. But to me it suggests that unless Thoams has really gone for a signficantly (e.g 20%) lower budget than last season, we really should have had enough to build a decent squad...in which case the mess might be more in how they 've gone about using it...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @RodneyCharltonTrotta and all, in this thread I've just whacked up the annual salary budgets for last season in L1, according to data provided by that website (I also try to list all the obvious reason why it can't be taken as 100% accurate). Thought I'd leave it there rather than put it all up here so that there we can discuss the budget in detail. But to me it suggests that unless Thoams has really gone for a signficantly (e.g 20%) lower budget than last season, we really should have had enough to build a decent squad...in which case the mess might be more in how they 've gone about using it...
    This may be supported by the fact we have made a couple of significant signings which are above and beyond what we normally do in League One. Sadly we have a historical record of this in recent years. Maybe the salary budget is the problem and maybe it isn't so much that there wasn't a logic to it, but that events may have changed things. Brexit changes and high spending League One clubs.
  • Options
    Or it could be that transfers are being agreed or vetoed by a committee !!! everyone knows that is one sure way to hardly ever reach a decision and when it does it is normally too late