Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s with the reduced interest?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    redman said:
    Were the numbers taken to Oxford and MK Dons, the latter for a night game, poor? Be interested to see some numbers. 

Oxford - 1,373 (allocation 1,717)
    MK - 1,565 (initial allocation 1,055)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    I don't think it's down to any one thing but a mixture;

1. COVID - Some people will still be nervous about going somewhere with lots of people, public transport etc
    2. Like others have said, once you get out of the habit of going it's easier to continue that habit and harder to get back into the swing of going (especially if footy is rubbish!)
    3. Streaming - a lot of people really like that, especially for away games, so maybe more are doing so where possible
    4. Cost - Many people have suffered financially over the past 18 months so may not have the ready cash, especially for away games.
    5. Quality - if you get a really poor start to the season on the field, the casual attendee's just don't bother going
    6. Holidays - has always effected attendances in August, maybe more so this year.

Overall I think the extended absence will have made people find other things to do. For some, they simply won't go back to what they used to do without a lot of tempting.
    Think you've got most of it there.  In addition one-off cost of using Valley Express has (for me anyway) gone from £11 to £16 a game - nearly a 50% increase.  I think (as @airmanbrown pointed out) - they've missed the point and are trying to, at least, break even on the coach cost - when the whole point was to increase ticket sales and the other matchday income that goes with it...  Lots of other things that seem to be all about mximising profit over matchday experience for fans.  Will piss a lot of people off.  Think this is all down to Mumford.
  • Options
    I'm sick of Division 3, but committed early to renew my season ticket to support Tommy for coming in and saving our bacon.
    Had intended also to commit to a fair few aways. Went to Oxford with my son and he went to MK.
    We intended to go to Gillingham, but were holding back to see if postponed.
    Now decided to bin it anyway. The dogshit football and failure to fund a competitive squad mean I'll hold back on the not inconsiderable expense of travelling to away games from Dorset for the foreseeable.
    I must admit I expected Oxford to sell out though, given the new ownership heralded bright future.
    Can't explain the general malaise, but speaking for myself Covid worries will be an ongoing factor

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I’ve gone to every game this season (with exception of MK), plus a pre season friendly. I’ll still be going to as many games as I can going forward, as I still love the experience - regardless of the result.

I have noticed an apathy in others though.

The take up on Oxford was disappointing - should have been a nailed on sell out considering the occasion.

I have a feeling Gillingham might also not sell out. Again, that would have been unimaginable if you’d have asked a month ago.

The results on the pitch are having the highest impact in my opinion. Like it or not, we do have some fair weather fans who will only want to put the effort in if we’re winning games. Each to their own.
    That's just sports fans in general. Success draws bigger crowds.

I'll do as many aways as I can this year. Currently only Lincoln I can't do atm. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I have no commitments to keep me at home, and going to football was one of the things I missed most during lockdown, so irrespective of footballing quality I'll be going. I understand that this isn't the case for everyone, so no judgement for those who can't commit to a northern outpost every other week. 

Watching on streams actually made me hate football a little, especially with how downright depressing it was for us to watch. I'm glad to have the real thing back, but not surprised if people have just found other ways to pass the time that are far more enjoyable than watching Charlton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I try to get to away games but are increasingly put off by some of the idiots that follow us away . 

I thought I was alone in nothing these thickos.  I found they didn't  turn up to places like Burton and Walsall in mid week. 
    It's run on a quota system.  They already met theirs.

Apologies for the gross regionalism.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I don't think it's down to any one thing but a mixture;

1. COVID - Some people will still be nervous about going somewhere with lots of people, public transport etc
    2. Like others have said, once you get out of the habit of going it's easier to continue that habit and harder to get back into the swing of going (especially if footy is rubbish!)
    3. Streaming - a lot of people really like that, especially for away games, so maybe more are doing so where possible
    4. Cost - Many people have suffered financially over the past 18 months so may not have the ready cash, especially for away games.
    5. Quality - if you get a really poor start to the season on the field, the casual attendee's just don't bother going
    6. Holidays - has always effected attendances in August, maybe more so this year.

Overall I think the extended absence will have made people find other things to do. For some, they simply won't go back to what they used to do without a lot of tempting.
    I think the spread of reasons is good enough. I'm planning to buy my streaming season ticket for exiles today - I would have done it sooner but Covid bit my finances hard. But as it's a TV option, my family tend to intrude with other options, which wouldn't apply if I could just nip out the door witha cheery 'I'm off to watch Charlton get stuffed!'. To be honest, we looked okay-ish in preseason. It's when we met league 1 that all our deficiencies came out. Going to the Valley to watch us get outplayed is a pain. Travelling long distance to watch the same shit will make a lot of people think of better things they can be doing. Our recent good attendances away from home were as we powered into the play offs in the LB play off winning season. The football was good, the team were classy and the atmousphere was terrific, and it carried into the next season until the injuries took us out. But now, the football is dire. 
  • Options
    I can still remember Chris Powell's Charlton squad a lot better then our 1st 11.
    Powell was a genius. He absolutely adores Charlton and he is missed.

The constant ins and outs of players and the pure business side of it. Doesn't seem and feel like a sport any more.

No genuine loyalty and minimal pride. 

Just money, trophies, pr and a good CV.

Football and Charlton used to more so be about pure passion and pride.

It's gone out the window
  • Options
    Our team is crap.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I can still remember Chris Powell's Charlton squad a lot better then our 1st 11.
    Powell was a genius. He absolutely adores Charlton and he is missed.

The constant ins and outs of players and the pure business side of it. Doesn't seem and feel like a sport any more.

No genuine loyalty and minimal pride. 

Just money, trophies, pr and a good CV.

Football and Charlton used to more so be about pure passion and pride.

It's gone out the window
    I wouldn't say I've lost interest in Charlton, my location and shift patterns mean I can't attend games regularly anyway but I still follow the club as passionately as I always have.

However this post hits it on the head for me, the constant churn of management and players over the last few years means it's really hard to get attached to anything around the club. I was probably more disappointed than most at LB leaving as at least he had been here a decent period of time and had a connection with the club. What I wouldn't give to have Powell back as manager, I'm still convinced its written in the stars that he'll return one day.

I've said before I don't share the pessimism of others around this transfer window, I think we've signed some decent players and I never expected we would be breaking the bank as no matter who our owners have been its just not something as a club we have ever done.

However I was hoping we would avoid the huge influx of loan players and short term deals we seem to have had the last few seasons, I'd much rather us develop our own players than develop other clubs players. I could be wrong but I'm still convinced Lapslie could have been a really good player for us had we given him a run of games and bit more time as opposed to bringing in loan players who had no affinity to the club and ended up contributing almost nothing.

I know needs must sometimes and the likes of Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher contributed a lot to the cause but it always feels a bit galling knowing there'll only be here for a finite period of time before moving on and, for me at least, makes it really hard to feel a connection to the team knowing we have almost an entirely new squad every single season.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The two home league games so far , the atmosphere has been great , but the football is abysmal. I haven't seen the visiting keeper make a save yet ! Football is meant to be in the entertainment business , I'm afraid there is none at The Valley. The bright new era , so far has been a damp squib. No wonder we feel deflated. Still planning a few away days at Sunderland , Lincoln and Fleetwood. I've always felt Championship was our level but now it seems there is an acceptance that division 3 is our home. The height of our ambition seems to be to try and get in the play offs. Even that hope is looking unlikely this season already.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a reduced interest, possibly in certain age groups only, for entertainment in general. Pre-covid, we would eat regularly, particularly our local pub. Since lockdown has ended, we have been less inclined to eat out. It hasn't been a financial decision; it's been a subconscious 'getting-out-of-the-habit' thing, I believe. I suspect that this has affected football and other entertainment sectors as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Even in the dark days we always had at least one player who on his day could get the crowd out of their seats and win us a game. There isn't a single player like that now and it must influence plenty of the fan's attendance decisions.
  • Options
    Bit early to draw this conclusion no ?. Summer holidays and covid surely don't help crowds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Humans are creatures of habit.

Over the last 18 months we’ve got into the habit of not spunking money to go to places like Oxford.

I do believe however results will slowly help pick it back up again.

Also, you can now purchase the stream via the club.
  • Options
    Fed up with L1 football. The current squad was boring to watch last season and this season is even worse. No fan favourites in the side. Plus I have a young daughter so circumstances change 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I was well up for Saturdays game - my first since before lockdown. Had a couple of beers, chatted to my boys about how good it was to go back. Sitting down half an hour before in the ground looking around thinking how good it was to be back….then the team was read out…..the lack of interest started, by half time is was bored of it, by the final whistle I was hoping for another lockdown.  I actually think I spent more time looking up results of other matches than watching the game.

Got my season tickets, and for me it’s spending quality father and son time with my boys - but the 90 min bit in the middle of the day totally ruins it. 

Hopefully a few new signings will happen and reignite the flame.
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of tiers to releasing tickets.  Could be people are waiting for lowest tier of their group before ordering away tickets so seems like poor uptake of initial phases. 
  • Options
    This is why I always stayed in the pub, never lost interest that way.
  • Options
    We have never had a mega sized away support.
    Ask regulars what numbers term upto games such as Shrewsbury away Plymouth
    Etc. 
    The younger supporters will do Gilliingham possibly Wimbledon and in other seasons Millwall portsmouth but not long trips.
  • Options
    I haven’t got the bug yet, the current squad tactics and style of play aren’t helping though

Went to the first game as wanted to show support to TS and Curbs but won’t be there on Saturday as doing stuff with the kids that I know they will enjoy more than me taking them to The Valley 

It’s a bit like wfh I’m used to it and it’s hard to get out of the cycle

I was tempted to go to MK with the boy but in the end I saved myself £100 and watched on Charlton tv

I really hope some new signings perk us all up a bit 
  • Options
    As an overseas based fan ( but usually good for 5-6 games per season) its 60% Covid : 40% serious feeling of anti-climax. When last season ended and I was double jabbed, I was sure that wild horses wouldnt keep me away from London and The Valley for Thomas’ triumphant first gsme in front of a crowd. I wont go on here about the towering shitshow this govt wanted to put me through  to get there; but it worries me that I couldnt be arsed to overcome it, and still dont feel like it, because of the disappointing recruitment and the completely toothless displays so far that it has resulted in. 
    My best man who is now back in London rang me Thurs. He’s always been used to me being over to coincide with a game. He was like “ must be over for a game soon, right?” I was shrugging down the phone. He said “ I can get tickets when you visit AFCW, lets do that”. I said Ok. But I still havent even looked up when that match is 🥲