Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    Only time I can remember a qualifier winning a major tournament of their chosen sport is Shaun Murphy winning the world snooker championships as a qualifier, what we saw tonight was far bigger achievement.

I didn't think Leicester winning the prem in 2016 would be topped but it was tonight, can't imagine we will ever see someone winning the qualifying tournament and then the major without dropping a set again.
  • Options
    Just wow. Somehow I knew she’d win. It just felt like her destiny. I thought Leylah played well and the scoreline didn’t really reflect the match. Emma was just too ruthless when it mattered. I hope these two are a fixture at the top of women’s tennis for years to come. Both well mannered, gracious women as well as amazing tennis players. Unlike the scowling, self entitled Naomi Osaka.
  • Options
    She didn’t even play a tie break, did she? Not in the main draw in any case.
  • Options
    6-2 6-1. Blew away Rogers who just came off a win against the No. 1 seed. Great stuff.

Next up, Belinda Bencic. Tokyo gold medallist. 
    Bencic will be another level, high ranked and really in-form.

Would be amazing if Emma could do it.
    I honestly thought Bencic in the QF was a step up that would prove too much.  Shows what I know.
    Me too. Am trying to put it into perspective of other achievements - so would be interested in others' views
    The only thing that springs to mind at the minute in terms of comparable in their unlikeliness: Leicester winning the Premier League…
    There was ivanisovic as a 125/1 wildcard winning Wimbledon, but he was a seasoned pro and former finalist
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    6-2 6-1. Blew away Rogers who just came off a win against the No. 1 seed. Great stuff.

Next up, Belinda Bencic. Tokyo gold medallist. 
    Bencic will be another level, high ranked and really in-form.

Would be amazing if Emma could do it.
    I honestly thought Bencic in the QF was a step up that would prove too much.  Shows what I know.
    Me too. Am trying to put it into perspective of other achievements - so would be interested in others' views
    The only thing that springs to mind at the minute in terms of comparable in their unlikeliness: Leicester winning the Premier League…
    There was ivanisovic as a 125/1 wildcard winning Wimbledon, but he was a seasoned pro and former finalist
    Don't know what odds Becker was as a 17 year old and first unseeded winner of Wimbledon but my Dad backed him that year following his win at Queen's. Don't imagine he was anything like 125/1 though
  • Options
    Anyway, what time are  the BBC showing the highlights for those that missed the match because they were watching Last Night of the Proms and desperately trying not to know the result before doing so
  • Options
    She didn’t even play a tie break, did she? Not in the main draw in any case.
    She won a set 7-5 in one of the qualifiers.
    Amazing that in the competition proper she only played one set that went to 3-3, and that was in the final. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Words still fail me. You don't win Grand Slam events that way, coming through qualifying without dropping a set, it's impossible.

Especially as a British player. It's been such a relaxing ride, none of the anguish and mental torture you'd expect!
  • Options
    Woke up to this incredible news. Well done!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    That is the first US Open Women's Final that I've watched in a decade. How refreshing to have two teenagers who seem to actually LIKE playing. They actually smile. Unlike Serena and Osaka, who seem like sourpusses all the time. I hope we get to see so much more of both of them and I hope the press does not put too much pressure on them and they get to live the rest of their teen years as teens. That was a blast to watch. Congrats to Britain on breaking the drought. Fernandez' comments about New York's resilience since 9/11 was great. And to think... neither we even alive on 9/11. Wow.
  • Options
    Amazing achievement Emma... SPOTY this year is becoming rather difficult to decide a winner
  • Options
    A pretty and talented young lady with a good head on her shoulders and an infectious smile. The world is her oyster now companies will be queuing up to endorse her.  Was great to watch after that steaming pile of shit earlier in the day. 
  • Options
    Amazing achievement Emma... SPOTY this year is becoming rather difficult to decide a winner
    Raducanu will win it easily. 
  • Options
    What an amazing performance.

She’s from a Palace borough but won’t hold it against her.

well done Emma, unbelievable stuff
    Yeah the Bromley girl and her choice of colours is a bit suspicious!

Remarkable performance. 
  • Options
    That is the first US Open Women's Final that I've watched in a decade. How refreshing to have two teenagers who seem to actually LIKE playing. They actually smile. Unlike Serena and Osaka, who seem like sourpusses all the time. I hope we get to see so much more of both of them and I hope the press does not put too much pressure on them and they get to live the rest of their teen years as teens. That was a blast to watch. Congrats to Britain on breaking the drought. Fernandez' comments about New York's resilience since 9/11 was great. And to think... neither we even alive on 9/11. Wow.
    I think Fernandez is a great player and will win many Slams but I thought her comments re: 9/11 sounded very stage managed.
  • Options
    Love her saying ,  no phone , no idea what she’s doing tomorrow and just soaking it all in … class beyond her years 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love her saying ,  no phone , no idea what she’s doing tomorrow and just soaking it all in … class beyond her years 
    Yeah that was class, especially in this day and age when you're half surprised that the player doesn't post something whilst still on the court.

In terms of not knowing what she's doing next i think that's going to have more to do with her elevated status now. She certainly isn't going to be playing the low ranked events she was probably scheduled to go to. She'll probably now be going to the big WTA tournaments like Indian Wells in a few weeks
  • Options
    Absolutely freakish achievement but she seems so “normal”. Gotta hand it to her. 
  • Options
    I read that Andy Murray and others advised her not to look at the press or social media.
  • Options
    I read that Andy Murray and others advised her not to look at the press or social media.
    To be honest if she was ever going to pay attention to the press or social media then today would certainly be the day 
  • Options

Back home, Raducanu has become a role model. She finished at Newstead Wood, a selective grammar school for girls in Orpington, this summer.

The head teacher Alan Blount said others are now starting to see her success as attainable.

She was here just a few weeks ago. It’s not someone who left years ago — it’s not an older generation. It’s real,” he said.

There certainly seems to be something in the water at Newstead Wood. Olympian Dina Asher-Smith, 25, is a former pupil, while actor Gemma Chan, 38, and Libby Jackson, 40, a leading space exploration expert at the UK Space Agency, also went there.

At her local tennis club, in Beckenham, south London, a viewing party was held. Her former strength and conditioning coach, Suzanne Williams, who met the sports star aged eight, said: “For girls to know that it’s in their reach, because they’re at the same place she was, it doesn’t feel too far removed from them, it’s just incredible for them to get this role model.”

And that really is the point. It is that "if she can do that so can I". It's why and how you get at the top of tennis players like Djokovic, Nadal and Murray who are all of a similar age and played against and trained with each other as kids pushing each other for over a decade (along with Federer of course). We had a similar thing with Seb Coe and Steve Ovett so perhaps another of our girls will also now step up to challenge at the top too.

• Options
    As was said of the Dublin born Duke of Wellington, being born in a stable does not make one a horse. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Did I hear Emma won all 20 sets she played in qualifying and  the tournament? Wow!
  • Options
    I imagine that one of the most marketable and in demand sports stars in the world, is unlikely to visit a lowly league one football club, fairly near where she grew up any time soon. 
  • Options
    This is an article from eight years ago:

https://www3.lta.org.uk/in-your-area/Kent/news/February-2013/Emma-Raducanu-wins-Winter-National-10U-Girls-Tournament/

The girl that Emma beat in that comp. Kylie Bilchev, is still playing and actually competed in this year's Wimbledon Girls U18 tournament. That, in itself, is a fantastic achievement and should not be undermined in any way by what Emma has just done. It does put it into perspective though. Who knows? Kylie might now be thinking "I can do that". She might well not get there but I bet if she had that belief she will become an even better player than the one that played at Wimbledon this year.