Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    Women's tennis seems to have very few dominant players at present compared to the men's game. It does make things wide open and there seems to be a higher turnover of top players.

Raducanu now has to cope with a massive amount of attention and hype which I hope she can cope with. It's all happened very quickly.
    The press/media are going to be all over her like a rash.
    Let’s face it, she is drop dead gorgeous and in so many ways too.
    They will build her up to be like a goddess for a couple of years whilst at the same time be planning to burst her bubble at the first opportunity.
    She is very precious but extremely vulnerable, she needs protection and guidance of the very first order.
    My first advice to her, as a boring old guy of 73, is stay away from social media from the word go. That will of course be pretty difficult for any young person to contemplate but I can just see a plethora of trolls and weirdos out there queuing up to disrupt the wonderful life she has at their earliest opportunity.
    I wonder if some of you dads out there can imagine how proud you would be right now, whilst at the same time how worried you would be if she was your daughter, I know I would be.
    She needs professional advice and serious plans/guidance for her immediate future IMHO.
    Good luck dear Emma…..enjoy it while you can.🤞
    Valleysarr…..care to explain why you think this is funny and what the LOL is for?
    Or maybe you’re one of those trolls I am referring to?
  • Options
    Her colours were definitely Romanian. Born in Canada to Chinese and Romanian parents. A British superstar ?! 

Very much a British super star with an international background is Emma Raducanu.

The Ex British Number 1 Joanna Konta was born in Sydney to Hungarian parents and her home is in Eastbourne since she was 14. Only got British Citizenship in 2013 when she was 21.

So many of the England football team and UK Athletics team have parents and grandparents from Africa and the Caribbean.  

Where Emma is different from Konta and Greg Rusedski she learnt her tennis in England as she has has lived in England since was 2.

......…..

If you know the history of tennis winning a slam as a teenager* doesn't mean you will dominate tennis as Tracey Austin and Maria Sharapova will testify but Emma Raducanu is in the records books and that's is etched on the trophy and our memories.

* Serena Williams is the exception.
    I don’t have a problem with it at all. 
    What language do you think they speak at home ???
    Esperanto. 
  • Options
    Women's tennis seems to have very few dominant players at present compared to the men's game. It does make things wide open and there seems to be a higher turnover of top players.

Raducanu now has to cope with a massive amount of attention and hype which I hope she can cope with. It's all happened very quickly.
    The press/media are going to be all over her like a rash.
    Let’s face it, she is drop dead gorgeous and in so many ways too.
    They will build her up to be like a goddess for a couple of years whilst at the same time be planning to burst her bubble at the first opportunity.
    She is very precious but extremely vulnerable, she needs protection and guidance of the very first order.
    My first advice to her, as a boring old guy of 73, is stay away from social media from the word go. That will of course be pretty difficult for any young person to contemplate but I can just see a plethora of trolls and weirdos out there queuing up to disrupt the wonderful life she has at their earliest opportunity.
    I wonder if some of you dads out there can imagine how proud you would be right now, whilst at the same time how worried you would be if she was your daughter, I know I would be.
    She needs professional advice and serious plans/guidance for her immediate future IMHO.
    Good luck dear Emma…..enjoy it while you can.🤞
    Yeh, I think you are dead right.
    It's crazy and it sounds nuts but I almost feel sorry for her at the thought of what might be in store.
    Trolls and freaks on social media; the gutter press prying into every aspect of her life and that of anybody close to her.
    Sensationalist press stories about anything from a boyfriends alleged indiscretions to borderline racist innuendo about her parents heritage or supposed loyalties - I can imagine many things like this.
    Then of course there will come the expectation, now that she has won a slam that she should win more, especially Wimbledon - followed by the backlash if she doesn't.
    Will that open, honest and engaging personality survive all this shit intact. I really hope so

• Options
    Not a big Medvedev fan but hoping he can convert this lead into a win against Novak.

Not going Djokovic’s way at all, he’s just smashed his racquet up after losing out on two break points.
  • Options
    Medvedev breaks next game to go a set and a break ahead.
  • Options
    I’d genuinely forgotten that there was still the men’s final to play! 😂
  • Options
    Medvedev wins the second set. 6-4 6-4
  • Options
    Medvedev two sets up and looking hot favourite here. 
  • Options
    Broken in the first game of the third set now too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Double break for Medvedev. Hard to see Djokovic getting back into this now.
  • Options
    Classless crowd to match a classless player…
  • Options
    Medvedev nervy here.

Hope he sees this second chance out.
  • Options
    Why is Djokovic crying?!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Thank Christ he serves it out. Absolutely awful crowd behaviour. Shocking.

Medvedev wins his first major title. 6-4 6-4 6-4
  • Options
    Wow, wasn't expecting that

Champagne corks will be popping in the Federer and Nadal households
  • Options
    Djokovic for once in his life actually looked tired, so maybe the 5 set semi with Zverev caught up with him. He also made a lot of errors you wouldn't usually expect from him. Fair play to Medvedev though, he had a great tournament, dropping just one set and i'd expect that's the first of many slams he will go onto win.
  • Options
    What did the crowd do?
  • Options
    I only caught a bit of it but cheering double faults and missed serves and not going quiet all the time as serves being made .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Her colours were definitely Romanian. Born in Canada to Chinese and Romanian parents. A British superstar ?! 

Very much a British super star with an international background is Emma Raducanu.

The Ex British Number 1 Joanna Konta was born in Sydney to Hungarian parents and her home is in Eastbourne since she was 14. Only got British Citizenship in 2013 when she was 21.

So many of the England football team and UK Athletics team have parents and grandparents from Africa and the Caribbean.  

Where Emma is different from Konta and Greg Rusedski she learnt her tennis in England as she has has lived in England since was 2.

......…..

If you know the history of tennis winning a slam as a teenager* doesn't mean you will dominate tennis as Tracey Austin and Maria Sharapova will testify but Emma Raducanu is in the records books and that's is etched on the trophy and our memories.

They speak English which is Emma's native tongue and the language that links all three of them. Emma was also taught Mandarin by her Mum. 
    Nope. Mandarin to mum, Romanian to Dad and English to friends / coaches. She’s a clever girl. 
    If your parents spoke a different language you wouldn’t just speak English to them would you ? 
    Emmas's Dad can't speak Manadarin. Her Mum can't speak Romanian. So the only language that unites the three of them is English. 

As for your assertion that "if your parents spoke a different language you wouldn't just speak English to them would you?"  Mine didn't. And they were both Hungarian. 
  • Options
    What did the crowd do?
    Booing Medvedev before he stepped up and trying to put him off his serve 
  • Options
    I only caught a bit of it but cheering double faults and missed serves and not going quiet all the time as serves being made .
    What did the crowd do?
    Booing Medvedev before he stepped up and trying to put him off his serve 
    Ah, ok. Cheers both.
    A bit ropy, that.
  • Options

......…..

They speak English which is Emma's native tongue and the language that links all three of them. Emma was also taught Mandarin by her Mum. 
    Nope. Mandarin to mum, Romanian to Dad and English to friends / coaches. She’s a clever girl. 
    If your parents spoke a different language you wouldn’t just speak English to them would you ? 
    Emmas's Dad can't speak Manadarin. Her Mum can't speak Romanian. So the only language that unites the three of them is English. 

As for your assertion that "if your parents spoke a different language you wouldn't just speak English to them would you?"  Mine didn't. And they were both Hungarian. 
    Bloody foreigners coming over here and stealing our forum bandwidth 
  • Options
    I hear she can’t speak much, or as much, Romanian as Mandarin. Her mother and Emma would chat women’s talk more than daughter/father talk.
    If her trajectory goes the way it looks it will then Emma Raducanu is a gift to the world like Usain Bolt.
    The thing to really get excited about is she is a South East Londoner.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if a certain Home Secretary has instructed Border Force at Heathrow to check her papers carefully...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Please god Raducanu can handle the inevitable backlash that will come her way sometime. I think Emma is Raducanuish rather than any particular nationality. Her accident of birth has shaped her and one manifestation of that is hearing her speaking in Mandarin. 
    Every so often a remarkable sportsperson emerges and Emma Raducanu is very special.
    The whole world can admire her for what she is…sheer class.
    But she is British, that’s her nationality - source = Emma Raducanu.

I don’t understand why you would want to deny someone their right to self determine their nationality & identity to which they are fully entitled.
    He didn't deny anyone anything.......he said that is how he sees her.

It's cobblers.......but just one person's opinion.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Please god Raducanu can handle the inevitable backlash that will come her way sometime. I think Emma is Raducanuish rather than any particular nationality. Her accident of birth has shaped her and one manifestation of that is hearing her speaking in Mandarin. 
    Every so often a remarkable sportsperson emerges and Emma Raducanu is very special.
    The whole world can admire her for what she is…sheer class.
    But she is British, that’s her nationality - source = Emma Raducanu.

I don’t understand why you would want to deny someone their right to self determine their nationality & identity to which they are fully entitled.
    He didn't deny anyone anything.......he said that is how he sees her.

It's cobblers.......but just one person's opinion.
    You are right it is the way I see her, and like me you are entitled to your opinion that what I say is cobblers.
    I would suggest that nationality is about something technical that gets you a passport, but identity is something very different, and that in Emma’s case is likely to be quite individual with a huge mixture of factors.
    For example Mandarin is quite literally her mother tongue, her surname is Romanian, she likes chocolate, and wears a Christian crucifix, and she has A levels in Economics and Mathematics.
    Everybody can be proud of and admiring of her, but not only because of her passport, there is so much more.
    As I say and repeat, she is Raducanuish.