Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    Emma Raducanu smiles and points at a billboard with her face on

I am EVERYWHERE  :love:
  • Options
    Officially up to 23 in the world rankings now, hopefully that continues to rise in the next year.
    Raducanu has basically no ranking points to defend until Wimbledon next year. 
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Officially up to 23 in the world rankings now, hopefully that continues to rise in the next year.
    Raducanu has basically no ranking points to defend until Wimbledon next year. 
    Exactly, so hopefully she carries out getting some from now!  Sure she will.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Please god Raducanu can handle the inevitable backlash that will come her way sometime. I think Emma is Raducanuish rather than any particular nationality. Her accident of birth has shaped her and one manifestation of that is hearing her speaking in Mandarin. 
    Every so often a remarkable sportsperson emerges and Emma Raducanu is very special.
    The whole world can admire her for what she is…sheer class.
    Feel sure her Romanian / Chinese heritage is what has got her to where she is.
    If her British ancestry ran back a few generations, she would have capitulated at 5-3 in the second set and that would have been that!
    Like all good Brits do.
    She will be accepted as British only as long as she keeps winning...
    Rubbish

Besides she's not someone who's lived in an international enclave, flying around the world to train at the best tennis academies. She grew up in the borough of Bromley, she went to school in Bromley, she learned to play tennis in Bromley. She's a triumph for BRITISH sport

Indeed she's more British than Virginia Wade, who spent most of her childhood in S Africa. 
    This was written tongue in cheek and is NOT my personal view.
    Seem to remember someone labelling Andy Murray as British when winning and Scottish when losing...
    A fantastic achievement. 
    I hope she continues to succeed in spite of the inevitable press build up and subsequent attempt to demolish her.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Please god Raducanu can handle the inevitable backlash that will come her way sometime. I think Emma is Raducanuish rather than any particular nationality. Her accident of birth has shaped her and one manifestation of that is hearing her speaking in Mandarin. 
    Every so often a remarkable sportsperson emerges and Emma Raducanu is very special.
    The whole world can admire her for what she is…sheer class.
    Feel sure her Romanian / Chinese heritage is what has got her to where she is.
    If her British ancestry ran back a few generations, she would have capitulated at 5-3 in the second set and that would have been that!
    Like all good Brits do.
    She will be accepted as British only as long as she keeps winning...
    You should write for the Guardian. 
    Must check the Grauniad to see whether Boris has described her as 'world beating'...
  • Options
    Emma practising with Andy M .. 

https://youtu.be/6GCXJ_rLtRc
    One of the things I really like about the Murrays is that they do give back to British tennis, they always seem willing to help, whether with tactical or fitness advice or organising events like the Battle of the Brits event last year

Wasn't Andy Murray very critical of the LTA scheme at one point?
    Seem to remember one young tennis prodigy claiming that their success was due to them avoiding it...
  • Options
    Her parents must be so proud of her especially the way she acts in public.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'm delighted to see someone who looks a bit like me - or, well, perhaps more accurately, cos they're girls, a bit more like my German-Chinese cousins who were born here - with some truly phenomenal success in the sporting arena.

There aren't many British Chinese sportspeople - Alex Yee is one of a handful of examples as well - and I'm glad Emma lends some much needed representation.

What a tennis player. Just fantastic.
    With all due respect, I saw The Chase and I look more like Serena Williams 🤣
  • Options
    First time there’s been both a male and a female first time GS winner since the French Open of 2004.
  • Options
    And nice to see Piers Morgan praising her.

I don't know if that's sarcasm or genuine.  Morgan is a misogynist canker and I don't pay any attention to anything he says.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    And nice to see Piers Morgan praising her.

I don't know if that's sarcasm or genuine.  Morgan is a misogynist canker and I don't pay any attention to anything he says.
    At least he's recognised her turning it around after Wimbledon, whereas nothing from John McEnroe at all. Mac gone down in my estimation. 

I don't specifically tune it to listen to or read what he has to say but have heard and read him and sometimes I disagree with him and other times I agree. I don't automatically dismiss anyone's view or opinion based on politics or otherwise - how narrowminded and bigoted would that be?
  • Options
    Wondering if her panic attack in Wimbledon will be the making of Emma. It was early enough in her career that it could be addressed with a relatively low profile.compared to say Simone Biles where it was all over the news
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Wondering if her panic attack in Wimbledon will be the making of Emma. It was early enough in her career that it could be addressed with a relatively low profile.compared to say Simone Biles where it was all over the news
    It was completely understandable in the circumstances but how she moved on is nothing but remarkable. McEnroe could at least acknowledge that. I think Osaka and Biles dealt with their issues differently, but that's for a different thread
  • Options
    Bet Jo Konta is gutted
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    AndyG said:
    Amazon Prime have agreed to share the rights to show the match with Channel 4

Wow that's a massive coup for channel 4. I would think this will smash their record viewing figures
    And another reflection of where sport sits with the BBC - they had planned to show highlights of the match on Sunday morning but have now ditched that. Absolutely pathetic effort as usual.
    Disregarding wall to wall coverage of Wimbledon for 2 weeks every year, plus qualifying, of course. Does that not count?

Is that the last of the great sporting events they have managed to hold onto? The BBC even used to cover the US Open live didn't they? They had the opportunity to show the only female to reach a Grand Slam Final for 44 years and were outbid by Channel 4. Then they pulled the plug on showing the highlights the following morning presumably in a fit of temper of being outbid for the live showing.

Would it be worth considering that C4's advertising revenue gives them an advantage over BBC?   And that deal negotiated between C4 and the rights holder (Amazon) has been structured so that C4 exclusivity runs longer than Sunday morning?  

And, anyway, why does it matter whether it's on BBC, if it's on C4? 
    From the perspective of it being shown on terrestrial TV, absolutely nothing. But from the perspective of missing out on the opportunity to show something in British Ladies tennis that hasn't happened 44 years, they really have missed out. Instead of constantly facing criticism for the way that they have short changed licence fee payers on top sporting events (far too numerous to mention) and for the cost of covering a couple of hours of tennis they could have been showcasing and supporting someone who "I've never seen such a meteoric rise" (Navratilova) and "who makes us want to pick up our racket and play again" (Rusedski and Keothavong). Someone who, potentially, will inspire a nation of youngsters to start playing tennis.

"We did make a competitive bid for the rights to show the US Open final live". Not for the first time in sporting history the BBC executives bottled it. Their definition of "competitive" no doubt. The phrase "price and value" springs to mind. If and when she wins Sports Personality of the Year, instead of showing us footage from today's match, the BBC can show us her leaving the court at Wimbledon in tears. Because they covered that one in every minute detail. Why go to the wedding when you've already been to the funeral?

I do have Prime Video but I am watching it on C4. I just would have loved to have been doing so on a British Broadcasting Corporation channel.

And that is all I am saying on the subject because I want to enjoy the match and cheer her on. Go Emma!!!!

I do think you're talking a load of twaddle.  After years of the BBC providing coverage of many sports, the commercial channels have paid loads of dosh to take those away from the Beeb with the aim of making money from them.  The BBC has been hamstrung by having its budget attacked, for example having to find the money to give the over 75s free licences whereas that was previously paid out of general taxation, so they are even more restricted with how much they can pay.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    AndyG said:

Wow that's a massive coup for channel 4. I would think this will smash their record viewing figures
    And another reflection of where sport sits with the BBC - they had planned to show highlights of the match on Sunday morning but have now ditched that. Absolutely pathetic effort as usual.
    Disregarding wall to wall coverage of Wimbledon for 2 weeks every year, plus qualifying, of course. Does that not count?

Is that the last of the great sporting events they have managed to hold onto? The BBC even used to cover the US Open live didn't they? They had the opportunity to show the only female to reach a Grand Slam Final for 44 years and were outbid by Channel 4. Then they pulled the plug on showing the highlights the following morning presumably in a fit of temper of being outbid for the live showing.

Would it be worth considering that C4's advertising revenue gives them an advantage over BBC?   And that deal negotiated between C4 and the rights holder (Amazon) has been structured so that C4 exclusivity runs longer than Sunday morning?  

From the perspective of it being shown on terrestrial TV, absolutely nothing. But from the perspective of missing out on the opportunity to show something in British Ladies tennis that hasn't happened 44 years, they really have missed out. Instead of constantly facing criticism for the way that they have short changed licence fee payers on top sporting events (far too numerous to mention) and for the cost of covering a couple of hours of tennis they could have been showcasing and supporting someone who "I've never seen such a meteoric rise" (Navratilova) and "who makes us want to pick up our racket and play again" (Rusedski and Keothavong). Someone who, potentially, will inspire a nation of youngsters to start playing tennis.

"We did make a competitive bid for the rights to show the US Open final live". Not for the first time in sporting history the BBC executives bottled it. Their definition of "competitive" no doubt. The phrase "price and value" springs to mind. If and when she wins Sports Personality of the Year, instead of showing us footage from today's match, the BBC can show us her leaving the court at Wimbledon in tears. Because they covered that one in every minute detail. Why go to the wedding when you've already been to the funeral?

I do have Prime Video but I am watching it on C4. I just would have loved to have been doing so on a British Broadcasting Corporation channel.

And that is all I am saying on the subject because I want to enjoy the match and cheer her on. Go Emma!!!!

I do think you're talking a load of twaddle.  After years of the BBC providing coverage of many sports, the commercial channels have paid loads of dosh to take those away from the Beeb with the aim of making money from them.  The BBC has been hamstrung by having its budget attacked, for example having to find the money to give the over 75s free licences whereas that was previously paid out of general taxation, so they are even more restricted with how much they can pay.
    The truth of the matter is they have decided to spend the budget that we give them on rubbish woke women's football and the Hundred. Pretty sure if licence payers were consulted the majority wouldn't want it spent that way. Gone for the cheap option. 

9.2m watchers for Channel 4 on Saturday night tells its own story. 
  • Options
    “woke women’s football”?!
  • Options
    I think the coverage of women’s football has led to a greater number of in person attendances.
    The quality of women’s football has improved a lot since Charlton were in women’s finals.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'm delighted to see someone who looks a bit like me - or, well, perhaps more accurately, cos they're girls, a bit more like my German-Chinese cousins who were born here - with some truly phenomenal success in the sporting arena.

There aren't many British Chinese sportspeople - Alex Yee is one of a handful of examples as well - and I'm glad Emma lends some much needed representation.

What a tennis player. Just fantastic.
    I bet she ain’t got a jazz home studio though 
    Expect a state of the art JHS is top of her list.
    And I'm convinced that owning a JHS is the source of her inspiration. 
    Since she first picked up a racquet at the age of eight...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think the coverage of women’s football has led to a greater number of in person attendances.
    The quality of women’s football has improved a lot since Charlton were in women’s finals.
    Does the CAFC women's team provide a better match day experience the men's currently?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Does the CAFC women's team provide a better match day experience the men's currently?
    Can’t be any bloody worse!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    AndyG said:

Thanks for that. Must remember to use that turn pf phrase next time you have a point of you:

Are you seriously telling me that covering the following used to cost nothing:

Cricket including every single Test match and the John Player Cricket League every Sunday
    Horse racing every Saturday and midweek including the Derby, Aintree and Cheltenham 
    Boxing including world title fights
    Rugby League every Saturday and the BBC 2 Floodit programme
    Rugby Union including ALL of the Six Nations matches
    Golf including the Open, the Masters and the Ryder Cup
    Motor racing including every Grand Prix
    Ski Sunday
    Every major athletics meeting
    Football including being the sole provider of FA Cup games

The peak viewing figures for the match was 9.2 million. But it actually reached 12.6 million people. For 44 years we've been talking about Viriginia Wade being the last of our women to do it and now an 18 year old had the opportunity to emulate that. How embarrassing for the British Broadcasting Corporation that even the Queen watched the tennis on C4 rather than Last Night of the Proms - but, there again, so did at least another 10 million plus people.

So I ask again. Given that all the above live events used to be (and simultaneously too) covered by the BBC, what do they now spend the Licence fee money on specifically in relation to sport? Wimbledon and.......................

It's not just the fact that they didn't show it. It's the fact that the BBC are so hypocritical as it pretends to cover sport and pretends to make serious bids to show it. They don't. They pay lip service to it now. How many times have we heard that "we made a competitive offer" for the rights? The team that loses every single match isn't "competitive" - is it? If they don't have the money then say "we don't have the money" because we have to give free Licence Fees to over 75s now. The very people who might never, by the way, see one of our tennis players win a Grand Slam again in their lifetime.

But here's some food for thought - 
    • The 253 senior leaders at the BBC were paid £148,221 each on average, costing a total of £37.5 million
    • Analysis shows the median salary of a BBC employee is 83 per cent higher than the median salary across the UK. 
    • The highest earning executive in 2019-20 was former director general Tony Hall. He received a total of £471,000 in salary and taxable benefits, including a car and driver.
    That's where the Licence Fee payers money is going. Paying Executives. The very people who say that the BBC doesn't have enough money to show a one off, once in a lifetime, sporting event that was guaranteed to be historic even if Raducanu had lost.

Now let's hear some of your "twaddle"

• Options
    Emma certainly seems to be enjoying herself (and rightly so).

Unheard of 4 months ago, now last night she attended the Met Gala with tons of A list celebs.