Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hot Tubs- Lazy Spa

Just got one and not sure about when to leave it on. My mate said he has his on 24/7 so he can use it when he wants. 

Concerned about the electricity bill, ours has been on constant since Friday when we set it up.

We have the ‘Ibiza that comes with a timer, but not got a clue. 

Any hot tub advice would be great 

Comments

• Options
    I know a couple of people that leave/left it on 24/7 and it doubled their bill.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    It will cost an absolute fortune to leave it on 24/7.

I have one, and I turn it down to around 30 degrees when not in use, and then put it at 39 a good few hours before use. 

That's cost me £60 in 4 weeks (I have a plug socket that measures how much electricity is going through it), and mines only a 700 litre.

Very expensive to run 24/7, just drop the temperature a bit when not in use, and then a few hours before get it back up, mine will raise about 2 degrees an hour. 
  • Options
    Thanks. 

Also what about the chemicals, if you turn it off for a week. Does it still need chlorine every day or just a day before using? 

• Options
    I have a hot tub and it stays on 24/7. However it is an expensive make/model, has a good insulated shell and has an insulated, fully fitted cover to keep the heat in when not in use.

I believe the Lazy Spa is an inflatable hot tub with no lid??? If so it may well cost you a few bob to keep it running or to heat it up each time you want to use it. 

Not sure about Lazy Spa's as I believe they are at the more economical end of the market in terms of purchase but the general rule of thumb is budget for £1.00 per day running costs, or approx £90.00 per quarter. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Thanks. 

Also what about the chemicals, if you turn it off for a week. Does it still need chlorine every day or just a day before using? 

That's a good question, I have a little buoyancy float thing that I put in with chlorine tablets, which keeps the chlorine topped up. I would be inclined to either 

1) keep chlorine going at all times
    2) "Shock" (double/triple dose) 24 hours before going back in use.

Test srrips will tell you how well it's doing, but I would be inclined to keep a level of "free chlorine" in there at all times. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    robroy said:
    Thanks. 

That's a good question, I have a little buoyancy float thing that I put in with chlorine tablets, which keeps the chlorine topped up. I would be inclined to either 

Test srrips will tell you how well it's doing, but I would be inclined to keep a level of "free chlorine" in there at all times. 
    Very new to this mate. What is free chlorine 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @LargeAddick has a hot tub. He might make an appearance later & give you his advice.
  • Options
    One of those will cost you a fortune if on all the time, especially as the weather cools as they aren't very insulated. I'd be inclined to keep it on at a much lower temperature and just accept the fact you'll need to turn it up 3+ hours or so before you use it.

That said, if you don't use it often then switch it off.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Huskaris said:
    robroy said:
    Thanks. 

Very new to this mate. What is free chlorine 
    Imagine that you add chlorine. 

There will then be a "chlorine parts per million" and a "free chlorine parts per million"

Free chlorine is the chlorine that is "free" to attack bacteria. Having loads and loads of used chlorine etc is an indicator that you might need to start thinking about emptying/refilling the tub. 

You test this with strips that turn different colours. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    One of those will cost you a fortune if on all the time, especially as the weather cools as they aren't very insulated. I'd be inclined to keep it on at a much lower temperature and just accept the fact you'll need to turn it up 3+ hours or so before you use it.

That said, if you don't use it often then switch it off.
    Take this advice if nothing else, as I said I have a solid, insulated plastic shell hot tub with an insulated lid that is 10" thick so I am not best placed to comment on the inflatable ones.
  • Options
    If you're going to keep the heating on it's actually more cost effective to keep the heating on all the time rather than keep turning it off and back down again, as someone else said if you're not going to use it for a while turn the temperature down a few degrees and then back up again for when you want to use it.

Would also advise to keep the lid and cover on whenever it's not used (if you have one)
  • Options
    Had a Paris left it on all time ok first year.second year not sure if heater had something wrong with it but took longer to heat up and don’t think it shut of when reaching temperature ended up with right electric bill about £200 a month.
    now got Bali hot tub it’s bit smaller than Paris heats up in one day from 9am 21degrees to 40degrees by about 6-7 pm. 
    So now leave heater off till the day I want to use it. Just leave pump running circulating water. Put tablet in just before we use it we normally go in it once a week 
  • Options
    I’ve a Lazy Spa Helsinki with inflatable lid. Well insulated and heat stays in. Important to have the filter running at all times and keep an eye on the chlorine levels using test strips regularly. The worst thing you can do is turn it off. I find Clearwater Multi Function Chlorine Tablets (50 x 20g) are the easiest to use. One tablet a week usually if the temperature is set at 38/40. Lasts longer if a lower temperature. As someone said, would leave it on 30 and increase the temperature on the day you’re going to use it - although I generally leave mine at 38! 
  • Options
    If you're going to keep the heating on it's actually more cost effective to keep the heating on all the time rather than keep turning it off and back down again, as someone else said if you're not going to use it for a while turn the temperature down a few degrees and then back up again for when you want to use it.

Would also advise to keep the lid and cover on whenever it's not used (if you have one)
    Sorry mate but that is a myth. 
  • Options
    Got a bubble cover over the top and underneath and also the old cover from the Paris so has 3 covers on it bought bubble cover of Amazon cut it to size you want. 
  • Options
    How does this new fad fit in with the global warming/energy efficiency etc?
    Sorry, it's just a strange world we live in.
    Not sure I would class hot tubs as a "new fad" they have been around for years. The cheap, plug in a 3 pin socket, inflatable types are certainly newer and catering to the masses which I suspect has been driven by lockdowns and staycations. 
  • Options
    Not sure I would class hot tubs as a "new fad" they have been around for years. The cheap, plug in a 3 pin socket, inflatable types are certainly newer and catering to the masses which I suspect has been driven by lockdowns and staycations. 
    It has. I made the mistake of watching (the first 10 minutes) of a documentary on c5 about hot tubs, and they have gone absolutely nuts over lockdown. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Haven’t got a hot tub, but reading this thread could be tempted.

Don’t like the idea of cleaning them out, I think I’d have to get the butler to do it.
  • Options
    Pray for Polar bears should be a hashtag 

• Options

Don’t like the idea of cleaning them out, I think I’d have to get the butler to do it.
    You don't really "clean them out", it is more a case of caring for the water. If you test the water on a regular basis and ensure the results are within the required parameters you can relax and enjoy it.

The instruction manual will explain how to clean and maintain the filters plus water can get 'tired' so a water change based on usage is a good idea to freshen things up.  
  • Options
    I have a hot tub and it stays on 24/7. However it is an expensive make/model, has a good insulated shell and has an insulated, fully fitted cover to keep the heat in when not in use.

I believe the Lazy Spa is an inflatable hot tub with no lid??? If so it may well cost you a few bob to keep it running or to heat it up each time you want to use it. 

Not sure about Lazy Spa's as I believe they are at the more economical end of the market in terms of purchase but the general rule of thumb is budget for £1.00 per day running costs, or approx £90.00 per quarter. 
    I’m with @eaststandmike. We too have an expensive model, fully insulated shell, very good insulated cover (frost, snow will stay all day without melting despite the tub being at 38.5c). It is on all day, every day, ready to go. Agree that the rule of thumb is £1 a day to run.
  • Options

I check the water once a week, ensure that the floating chemical dispenser is sufficiently full and if necessary occasionally top the water up with the other chemicals needed. It really is a five minute job. If you look after it properly the most you need a full water change is twice a year.
  • Options
    When the guys doing out patios finally get round to starting and finishing them, we’re having one of the permanent/cast hot tubs put in. Think we might have to get it craned in through as our extension is now where the side entrance was.
  • Options
    I have two Lazy Spa Helsinki’s. Long story! I’m selling one which is two years old for £325 and comes complete with original box and instructions. If anyone is interested please let me know. 
  • Options
    When the guys doing out patios finally get round to starting and finishing them, we’re having one of the permanent/cast hot tubs put in. Think we might have to get it craned in through as our extension is now where the side entrance was.
    https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk
  • Options
    We’ve got a HotSpring tub (US made) - it’s housed in a summerhouse with tri-fold doors that bring the outside in without getting rained or snowed on! Solid construction, very well insulated and with a very substantial top. It isn’t exposed to extreme weather being inside and we have it emptied, serviced and refilled every three months and the missus checks the chemicals a couple of times a week. It’s set at 39 degrees and is left on 24/7 - costs a couple of quid a day to run.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk
    I fucking wish!