Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hot Tubs- Lazy Spa

2»

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    We’ve got a HotSpring tub (US made) - it’s housed in a summerhouse with tri-fold doors that bring the outside in without getting rained or snowed on! Solid construction, very well insulated and with a very substantial top. It isn’t exposed to extreme weather being inside and we have it emptied, serviced and refilled every three months and the missus checks the chemicals a couple of times a week. It’s set at 39 degrees and is left on 24/7 - costs a couple of quid a day to run.
    Nice one Bob, ours is a Hotspring, lovely bit of kit.
  • Options
    We have a rigid foam spa from wave. 
    More solid and better heat retention than the inflatable but without the cost of a hard shell. 

We have it at 41 degrees (they turn off at target temperature and warms up when goes two degrees below it ). We don’t turn it off at all. 

costs about 75p a day.  

Would defo make sure you have foam mats underneath as extra layer of insulation. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    More solid and better heat retention than the inflatable but without the cost of a hard shell. 

We have it at 41 degrees (they turn off at target temperature and warms up when goes two degrees below it ). We don’t turn it off at all. 

costs about 75p a day.  

Would defo make sure you have foam mats underneath as extra layer of insulation. 

Wow, it would not take much for me to be off my nut in 41 degrees, 38 degrees gets me pissed a lot quicker but 41!  B)
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    If you're going to keep the heating on it's actually more cost effective to keep the heating on all the time rather than keep turning it off and back down again, as someone else said if you're not going to use it for a while turn the temperature down a few degrees and then back up again for when you want to use it.

Would also advise to keep the lid and cover on whenever it's not used (if you have one)
    Sorry mate but that is a myth. 
    this theory applies to hot water systems unless non occupied for 14 days or more. instead of heating up a full cylinder once or twice a day - thats why we always advise customers to have there programmers set to constant and so it tops up the cylinder as you use. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Right, think I’m gonna turn it off Monday to Thursday and then shock it Thursday evening to get ready for Friday nights. 

Keep it topped up with chlorine throughout the week. 

Does this sound like a plan? 

Edit: I’m talking about the hot tub and not the Mrs 
  • Options
    We've had our hot tub 14-15 months now, fully insulated shell and lid and tbh, we havent noticed much of an increase in our leccy bill.  Thanks to a previous post on here, the guys in the know advised me to get a 32amp connection, glad we listened!

In the 1980s my rich Uncle had a massive house in Orpington and he had an indoor pool built in the garden, it was absolute class.

He and his wife were solid working class made good so they had no idea about this sort of stuff so once it was built they left it heated 24/7, this was a decent size pool too, probably about 25 metres long and 7 metres wide.

No joke, you’d go for a swim and the whole pool annex was like being in Equatorial Guinea, it was steaming and humid and the pool was like a warm bath.

After about six weeks they got a visit from the LEB asking them what the hell they were doing using industrial quantities of power in a residential area, apparently they were putting massive strain on the local power network!

The power bill for that first quarter was a shocker, obviously!

My sister in law has just bought a house off Cudham Lane (other side of the Green St Green roundabout) with a huge pool.  When they moved in, they discovered the pool boiler was broken and were quoted thousands to replace it.  My brother in law is a bit of a clever hands-on kind of bloke and he's built a new boiler out of a giant oil drum and coiled copper piping.  They burn wood in the drum and it heats the water in the copper pipe and the pressure keeps the water circulating.  The pool is constantly warm now.  Not hot tub warm but around 32-34c.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

costs about 75p a day.  

Wow, it would not take much for me to be off my nut in 41 degrees, 38 degrees gets me pissed a lot quicker but 41!  B)
    bloody hell 41c?  I love a hot bath but there's no way I could sit in our hot tub at 41!  Ours is set to 37.5 and is more than warm enough for Christmas Day when it was freezing cold outside.  
  • Options
    Got mine at 37.5 too.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    We've had our hot tub 14-15 months now, fully insulated shell and lid and tbh, we havent noticed much of an increase in our leccy bill.  Thanks to a previous post on here, the guys in the know advised me to get a 32amp connection, glad we listened!

In the 1980s my rich Uncle had a massive house in Orpington and he had an indoor pool built in the garden, it was absolute class.

He and his wife were solid working class made good so they had no idea about this sort of stuff so once it was built they left it heated 24/7, this was a decent size pool too, probably about 25 metres long and 7 metres wide.

No joke, you’d go for a swim and the whole pool annex was like being in Equatorial Guinea, it was steaming and humid and the pool was like a warm bath.

After about six weeks they got a visit from the LEB asking them what the hell they were doing using industrial quantities of power in a residential area, apparently they were putting massive strain on the local power network!

The power bill for that first quarter was a shocker, obviously!

My sister in law has just bought a house off Cudham Lane (other side of the Green St Green roundabout) with a huge pool.  When they moved in, they discovered the pool boiler was broken and were quoted thousands to replace it.  My brother in law is a bit of a clever hands-on kind of bloke and he's built a new boiler out of a giant oil drum and coiled copper piping.  They burn wood in the drum and it heats the water in the copper pipe and the pressure keeps the water circulating.  The pool is constantly warm now.  Not hot tub warm but around 32-34c.
    Great idea, but I wonder how much wood they have to burn, especially in winter? Or is it an outdoor pool only used in summer?

One thing I do know is that having an outdoor pool in the UK can apparently be a real problem in winter if it gets really cold and the pipes freeze up and crack, replacing cracked pipes is bloody expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited August 2021
    We bought ours and installed it with a 32amp connection and left it on 24/7 at 38c......used it most days, but first quarter we found it was costing $40 a day to heat it.

So now if we want to use it we turn it on at around mid day to warm up for use by tea time. Needless to say, we rarely use it nowadays.

At its peak with two swimming pool pumps (I keep Koi in a converted swimming pool)  and the hot tub going plus our daily usage it was costing $60+ per day.

Electricity here is very expensive.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

costs about 75p a day.  

Got one of these a month ago, bubble insulated lid which sits on the water, foam mat underneath. Turn it down to 30 to 35 when not using it and fire it up around lunchtime when needed. Nice bit of kit for the money.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I didn’t know there were so many peasants amongst our ranks. We imported a hot spring from Iceland and had it installed in the back garden, next to the crystal caves, opposite the boat dock (the south one, not the west one… duh).

Yes, we've got a water feature in our garden.

NY Hotel in Niagara Falls - USA  Sheraton Niagara Falls

• Options
    don't turn it off - the water will go stagnant and you'll be changing it more often than not. We've had one for about 6/7 years now - leave it on all the time, temp set at 39c costs about 25p a day to run

once a week do the chemicals, chlorine / spa and scale stuff etc...change the water every 3 months - get a pump that drains it our, it's easy.

when you change the water you'll need to do the chemicals every day for about 10 days to get the right pH level
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Huskaris said:
    How does this new fad fit in with the global warming/energy efficiency etc?
    Sorry, it's just a strange world we live in.
    Not sure I would class hot tubs as a "new fad" they have been around for years. The cheap, plug in a 3 pin socket, inflatable types are certainly newer and catering to the masses which I suspect has been driven by lockdowns and staycations. 
    It has. I made the mistake of watching (the first 10 minutes) of a documentary on c5 about hot tubs, and they have gone absolutely nuts over lockdown. 
    My daughters Uni flat mates dad has a hot tub company, 2 years ago he was selling on average about 5 a week. For the past year he now sells on average 30 a week and he's done no more advertising etc.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    How does this new fad fit in with the global warming/energy efficiency etc?
    Sorry, it's just a strange world we live in.
    Not sure I would class hot tubs as a "new fad" they have been around for years. The cheap, plug in a 3 pin socket, inflatable types are certainly newer and catering to the masses which I suspect has been driven by lockdowns and staycations. 
    It has. I made the mistake of watching (the first 10 minutes) of a documentary on c5 about hot tubs, and they have gone absolutely nuts over lockdown. 
    My daughters Uni flat mates dad has a hot tub company, 2 years ago he was selling on average about 5 a week. For the past year he now sells on average 30 a week and he's done no more advertising etc.
    Good luck to him!

You can bet your balls that 90% of them will be sitting idle once life returns to normal!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We haven’t got the space to have one permanently in the garden. My wife wanted one so we hired it for a few days, the man came round, set it all up and took it away a few days later at which point we were bored with it. Hiring was a great alternative without the continuing drain on my smart meter.