Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Does anyone here keep Koi?

I know a few guys here are keen carp fishermen, as I was. But do any of you keep Koi?

3 years ago when we decided we weren't going to flip this house (which was the original intention), I decided after all these years I would love to raise some Koi. We have a 4000 litre pond, so I set about emptying it to clean, I had a couple of hundred Comets at the time but lost around half due to disturbing years and year of rotting leaf matter on the bottom of the pond. I managed to transfer the remains fish into a huge water storage tank in the garden where happy.

Having cleaned the pond, I bought a filter and two small pumps....got a lot of daft advice from the aquarium shop who sold me the equipment. needles to say none of to was sufficient to keep the water anywhere near adequate for Koi keeping.

I learned some very harsh lessons early on. Someone locally was selling some Koi, the only proviso was I had to catch them from a small lake. So, I put my carp gear to good use, caught six Koi all around 60cm in about an hour and transferred them into my small 4000 litre pond. This is where I learned quickly about inadequate filtration, lack of oxygen, nitrate levels and ammonia spikes....also at the same time realising the pond was too small!

I went out and bought a 12,000 litre kids swimming pool and a much bigger filter, along with an air pump to drive 4 big diffusers and a pump that could shift enough water through the filter. This was a temporary measure however.

The House we bought to renovate had one very odd feature. When the house was built over three stories back in 1983, much of it was unfinished. The couple really only ever used the middle level which is ground level at the front of the house. The top floor and bottom floor were unused.

The weird parts were the way the house was segregated room wise ( Im sure it made sense to them at the time) and secondly they had built an indoor swimming pool that had never had a drop of water in it. It was plumbed but nothing had been connected, it had a brand new filter and pump, both used in boxes from 1983.

Having had a previous house with a pool, I had no intentions whatsoever to use it for what it was designed for as we had rarely used ours and it was frankly a pain on the arse to maintain.

So, how about turning it to a Koi pond? I set about gathering information, again getting a lot of conflicting advise until I stumbled across a guy who had built ponds for 40 years. He came up with a plan and two years ago this weekend, we filled the pond up. Its about 30,000 litres.

I have to say, its one of the most satisfying things Ive ever done. Initially I had four bigger fish from the initial lot I caught and a few others Id picked up along the way. Once the water had matured, I started to add fish.

Here in Australia the main koi keepers are Asians, Im fortunate as in other states its illegal to keep anything that's called a carp, so in NSW there is a reasonable following for Koi keeping. Although we have limited bloodstock as the origin of most fish here date back a while, the upside is they aren't as expensive as in Europe and the US.

I started buying small fish with potential and due to the warmer climate here Ive watched some of my fish grow from fingerlings to 40 to 50cm in literally no time at all. Nowadays I grow the smaller fish on in the small out door pond which often gets up to 30+C and the larger fish in the indoor pond which rarely rises above 24 or below 14, which is ideal.

I was going to say keeping the fish, but probably more appropriate to say keeping the water has been a really amazing experience. I love watching the fish and now when I enter the indoor pond the fish swarm towards me to be fed and some like a tiny Chargoi I bought 3 years ago the size of my small finger will feed from my hands, she's now about 60cm and a really good weight.

In what for me has been a really awful last twelve months the Koi have kept me occupied and distracted....I guess this thread isn't going to interest most people, but I just wondered if anyone else here has enjoyed keeping fish as much as I have.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah kept them for about 30 years. Like you learnt the hard way, imho they can live in dirty(ish) water but it’s all about enough oxygen.

Got a pond now circa 45000 litres, all koi bar two sturgeon one of which is circa 1.2m largest koi 90cm.

All apart from sturgeon feed from hand, about 35 fish in all, some lovely ones a few not so lovely.

Will post pictures later.
  • Options
    Yes, with fish it's always about getting (and keeping) the water right. I've never kept koi, but for years kept tropicals. I remember going on holiday once and a friend of my wife volunteered to come round and feed the fish. I tried to show her what was needed but she insisted she knew all about it as her dad kept fish. When we got back from holiday we found the tank had a layer of scum around the top, the filthiest brown water and a huge pile of rotting sediment at the bottom. The only sign of life as a big pair of white lips that kept appearing at the top of the tank, these were from the sole surviving fish, a plecky that was coming to the top to take gulps of air. Our whole house stank of the filthiest stagnant water. It turns out that the fish this woman's dad kept were koi in a garden pond. She was used to throwing them handfuls of food every day and every day she did the same for ours, not once stopping to think about what was happening. She must have been bringing the stuff round as I only had a little pot of Tetra Min.

To make matters worse, for us - not the fish who'd already reach their nadir, our car broke down just a few miles into our journey and we had to be towed from Carmarthen to Southend. Naturally after such a long journey we invited the recovery bloke in to use the facilities. The one time he entered our house, it stank like a sewer. I can't imagine why he never hung around for a cup of tea. So embarrassing.
  • Options
    I've got a couple in my pond, one's about 50cm, the other a bit smaller. We've been waiting to have our garden redone for a while so other than cleaning out the pond, have pretty much left it alone.

Haven't added any fish for some time and they all seem pretty happy and healthy. Got a couple of fairly large mirror carp that I bought about 15 years ago that whilst they're not great for the water quality, really don't want to get rid of them.

Other than that, have a grass carp and a handful of goldfish/comets.

We're having a raised pond built when we have the patios done, roughly 7k litres.

• Options

Brilliant photos👍
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I converted a raised planter I'd built into a small pond last May as a lockdown project. Got fed up growing tomotoes with varying degrees of success. Nowhere near big enough to have more than a handful of comets and goldfish in it and looked quite smart once the plants around it got established.

Would love to run a set up like some mentioned on here but space and finances prevent this - think I'd still have kept the indoor swimming pool though!

All was going well and the fish growing on nicely until last month, when I'm sure one of the numerous cats that the neighbour's downstairs must keep apparently seems to have perfected his fishing technique so I've lost a couple recently.

I've been using an sonic deterrent, which seemed to be working well until now. I may need to resort to something else now but would like to see the little feckers try to take on a full grown koi like those above.

I don't like cats...
  • Options
    I used to at an old house and would like to when we move in a month or so,

Have a look on YouTube for 'Wrighty' he has some interesting filtration systems, pond set up etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have started planning a raised brick built rendered/waterproofed etc Koi/Fish Pond, once I have completed the wife's decking/patio areas I might be able to start on the pond proper its the filter area I am concerned about what size/type any suggestions would be good pond will be apx Length 5ft x Width 3ft x Depth 4ft would love to throw in a viewing window on the side as well
  • Options

Fair old lumps in there mate
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    magic1999 said:
    I have started planning a raised brick built rendered/waterproofed etc Koi/Fish Pond, once I have completed the wife's decking/patio areas I might be able to start on the pond proper its the filter area I am concerned about what size/type any suggestions would be good pond will be apx Length 5ft x Width 3ft x Depth 4ft would love to throw in a viewing window on the side as well
    I changed over filtration to a Nexus 320+, have to say works very well. Sort of mid range cost wise but effective & easy to clean. Incorporates your air pump (separate purchase).

Viewing windows look great, not cheap but worth it, love one myself maybe next time,
  • Options
    @Hartleypete I won't tell the wife the cost of a Nexus 320+ that might put her off the idea its taken me 5 years to convince her to get a fish pond .... she has her wildlife pond for frogs & newts but I want the fish 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    @Hartleypete I won't tell the wife the cost of a Nexus 320+ that might put her off the idea its taken me 5 years to convince her to get a fish pond .... she has her wildlife pond for frogs & newts but I want the fish 
    Will show you something that might suit you. 

They start off at around 6ft x 3ft x3ft....bigger sizes are also available.The nice thing with this is you can set up a bottom drain.

My son is considering setting up a business selling them sometime soon.

Filter wise.You could go the Japanese mat filtration route albeit its not ideal, and a bit oudated. Drum filters seem to be the way forward (as Im learning myself still) but didn't suit my swimming pool set up and plumbing. I have two large swimming pool filters with a blower and filled with biomdedia running off of two 2 speed swimming pool pumps and two huge UV lights.

The other alternative is buy something like an Oase Pressure filter or a cheaper knock off version. This way you have a built in uv light. Ive got an Oase 30000 pressure filter on the small pond. Its adequate but not ideal. Also, these can be buried up to the neck so you don't need to see the filter.

I will post some photos of my set ups tomorrow.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    No, but fascinating story. 

Do you have any photos you can share?
    yes, will post some tomorrow.
  • Options

Some lovely big fish there mate...love it
  • Options
    Would love to have done this….too old now sadly for any long term projects that is.
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Seems harsh.

What did she do?
  • Options
    I converted a raised planter I'd built into a small pond last May as a lockdown project. Got fed up growing tomotoes with varying degrees of success. Nowhere near big enough to have more than a handful of comets and goldfish in it and looked quite smart once the plants around it got established.

Would love to run a set up like some mentioned on here but space and finances prevent this - think I'd still have kept the indoor swimming pool though!

All was going well and the fish growing on nicely until last month, when I'm sure one of the numerous cats that the neighbour's downstairs must keep apparently seems to have perfected his fishing technique so I've lost a couple recently.

I've been using an sonic deterrent, which seemed to be working well until now. I may need to resort to something else now but would like to see the little feckers try to take on a full grown koi like those above.

I don't like cats...
    Another possible suspect? 

My brother has lost several fish to herons in the Bromley area.  Has now resorted to netting over the pond.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't like cats...

My brother has lost several fish to herons in the Bromley area.  Has now resorted to netting over the pond.

The can decimate a pond population. I've lost lots of fish to them over the years, have had netting over mine for a while now.

Luckily didn't get my mirror carp, they were either too big or couldn't be seen due to their dark colour.
  • Options

I don't like cats...

Artificial life size herons are available in most large garden centres and are considered to be a very good deterrent in keeping the real buggers away…..not exactly sure why but evidently it’s supposed to work?
  • Options

I don't like cats...

Artificial life size herons are available in most large garden centres and are considered to be a very good deterrent in keeping the real buggers away…..not exactly sure why but evidently it’s supposed to work?
    Yeah my brother in law lost around 20 fish over a 2 year period to herons. Has had an artificial one for around 2 years now with no losses at all in that time. 
  • Options
    I think the problem with heron, and cormorants on larger waters, is that they see movement and go for it, even if the fish is too big for them. The resulting injury can the go on to then kill the fish. If the fish is caught in time and the injury spotted it can be treated, but thats unusual as carp won't generally eat if they're unwell or suffering

Similar to otters; one of my friends has lost a few 50 and 60 pounders, as well as smaller fish, to otter. All they seem to eat is the small gland behind the gill, leaving the rest of the fish untouched. I've helped the bailif remove a couple of bigguns over the years.
  • Options
    You can never be heron proof, but when building a koi pond try to make it at least 3feet deep and in a way that a herons cannot wade in.
  • Options
    I haven’t got a hot tub, and I haven’t got koi carp, feel like I’m missing out… might get a hot tub and put some koi carp in it.
    I don't even know anyone who has a hot tub :neutral:
  • Options
    Used to keep tropical fish and that could be challenging enough sometimes. Fair play. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I don't like cats...

It's possible but I'd say unlikely tbh. Never seen a heron in my particular area.

More likely a cormorant around here but since I've caught the furry little feckers downstairs even hooking my pond plants out and dragging them off they remain my prime suspect. Might have to resort to netting if it continues. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Brilliant photos👍
    Amazing