Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Does anyone here keep Koi?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Looks amazing Tel. Was gonna sat I bet you need some system to run it, then see the photo.
  • Options
    I've got a couple in my pond, one's about 50cm, the other a bit smaller. We've been waiting to have our garden redone for a while so other than cleaning out the pond, have pretty much left it alone.

Haven't added any fish for some time and they all seem pretty happy and healthy. Got a couple of fairly large mirror carp that I bought about 15 years ago that whilst they're not great for the water quality, really don't want to get rid of them.

Other than that, have a grass carp and a handful of goldfish/comets.

We're having a raised pond built when we have the patios done, roughly 7k litres.

I'd like to catch a couple of small common Carp to grow on. Will have to find a place where I can catch some small ones. Then quarantine them. I've got a couple of Koi known here as Crow. They are really dark, you might see them in the photos I've loaded up .
  • Options
    I converted a raised planter I'd built into a small pond last May as a lockdown project. Got fed up growing tomotoes with varying degrees of success. Nowhere near big enough to have more than a handful of comets and goldfish in it and looked quite smart once the plants around it got established.

Would love to run a set up like some mentioned on here but space and finances prevent this - think I'd still have kept the indoor swimming pool though!

All was going well and the fish growing on nicely until last month, when I'm sure one of the numerous cats that the neighbour's downstairs must keep apparently seems to have perfected his fishing technique so I've lost a couple recently.

I've been using an sonic deterrent, which seemed to be working well until now. I may need to resort to something else now but would like to see the little feckers try to take on a full grown koi like those above.

I don't like cats...
    Another possible suspect? 

My brother has lost several fish to herons in the Bromley area.  Has now resorted to netting over the pond.

The can decimate a pond population. I've lost lots of fish to them over the years, have had netting over mine for a while now.

Luckily didn't get my mirror carp, they were either too big or couldn't be seen due to their dark colour.
    Same issues here, Herons, Egrets and bloody Kookaburras. Also long neck Turtles bastard things. Not to mention snakes. I've netted the outdoor pond. Does the job ok. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    I've got a couple in my pond, one's about 50cm, the other a bit smaller. We've been waiting to have our garden redone for a while so other than cleaning out the pond, have pretty much left it alone.

Haven't added any fish for some time and they all seem pretty happy and healthy. Got a couple of fairly large mirror carp that I bought about 15 years ago that whilst they're not great for the water quality, really don't want to get rid of them.

Other than that, have a grass carp and a handful of goldfish/comets.

We're having a raised pond built when we have the patios done, roughly 7k litres.

I'd like to catch a couple of small common Carp to grow on. Will have to find a place where I can catch some small ones. Then quarantine them. I've got a couple of Koi known here as Crow. They are really dark, you might see them in the photos I've loaded up .
    I had a couple that I inherited from my dad's pond when he passed away and my mum didn't want it any more. Nice fish but had to pass them on after a while as didn't really have the room in the pond for them.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    My filtration set up. 
    Very nice set up.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    My filtration set up. 
    Very nice set up.
    Can you use it to make moonshine……it certainly looks capable with a little bit of tweaking? 🥃🍾🍷
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never had any interest in Koi (let alone read about them), but the same day as you posted this, an article about stolen Koi turned up in Danish news.
    Some wanker stole all the guy's Koi (15-20 of them).

• Options
    Danepak said:
    Never had any interest in Koi (let alone read about them), but the same day as you posted this, an article about stolen Koi turned up in Danish news.
    Some wanker stole all the guy's Koi (15-20 of them).

In Europe and the States Koi can be worth tens of thousands of pounds/dollars, so Im not really surprised. There is a water filtration/irrigation shop locally to me and up until a few years ago they had some koi in a small pond at the front of the shop in the car park.....I said to my Mrs, if they were in England they'd be gone by morning.

Here in Australia mention carp and all they want to do is kill them....years and years of urban myth to Aussies has become reality, despite scientific evidence that rubbishes what is said.