Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Youth team goal keepers

We seem to have a plethora of young keepers at the club who generally seem highly rated so I was interested if some of those who watched the kids had any thoughts of their qualities and order currently.

Ashley Maynard Brewer (age 22)
Seems to be Australia number two, long talked about but with a very odd loan move this year and at 22 surely needs to start to play first team footy soon to progress.

Nathan Harness (age 21)
Appears to be our number two this season.

Joe Osaghae (age 20)
Not in handbook, but is on website. Is he still with us?  

Nathan Harvey (age 19)
I think he played some pre-season friendlies (maybe Welling?)

James Beadle (age 17)
Charlton fan and just called up to England U18 team with rumours of PL interest.

Harry Whitling (age 17)
Battling with Beadle for U18 place I assume?

With MacGillivray being only 28 he still has a good 4-7 years left.

Do we have more young keepers than Chelsea!

Comments

• Options
    Evidence seems to be that AMB isn't highly rated. If he is why loaned out where he won't play! 
  • Options
    I know its a fairly meaningless drill video, but AMB is bloody class - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD3YDoJRzQQ&ab_channel=SoccerAM 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    redman said:
    Evidence seems to be that AMB isn't highly rated. If he is why loaned out where he won't play! 
    What evidence? Gallen and Adkins have both publicly praised him and mentioned what a talent he is. 

Adkins said: “I’ve got high hopes for Ash as a goalkeeper. He’s going to come back as the season starts, so we’ll sit down and make a decision with the best interests of him and also for us.

“At the end of the day he needs to be playing. It’s no good him being sat on the bench for another year, he needs to be playing football.

• Options
    We seem to have a plethera of young keepers at the club who generally seem highly rated so I was interested if some of those who watched the kids had any thoughts of their qualities and order currently.

AMB
    Nathan Harness
    Joe Osaghae
    James Beadle
    Harry Whitling

With MacGillivray being only 28 he still has a good 4-7 years left.
    Plus Nathan Harvey! Osaghae isn't mentioned in the handbook, has he left?

I agree we do seem to have a large number, it will be interesting who the club see as being potentially the best prospect
  • Options
    Osaghae is still on the website but I couldn't see Nathan Harvey on there.
  • Options
    I know its a fairly meaningless drill video, but AMB is bloody class - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD3YDoJRzQQ&ab_channel=SoccerAM 
    Am I watching the same video? He didn't save anything did he?
  • Options
    James Beadle just got a call up for England U18s so I assume he’s definitely very highly rated.
  • Options
    James Beadle is not only highly rated by Cafc but Premier clubs as well. I really can't see James still being with Cafc in 18 months time. The sad fact of football life with our lowly position in the 3rd tier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    James Beadle is not only highly rated by Cafc but Premier clubs as well. I really can't see James still being with Cafc in 18 months time. The sad fact of football life with our lowly position in the 3rd tier.
    The only pulling factor is that he, and his family are all Charlton fans. 

Not a keeper, but his brother was one of the only 2nd year scholars not to sign pro terms in the summer. He’s been on the bench for Colchester in the league this season. 
  • Options
    With Beadle, the one thing we can offer is potentially faster first team football, and even there, we have a number of slightly older but still young keepers ahead of him
  • Options

Not a keeper, but his brother was one of the only 2nd year scholars not to sign pro terms in the summer. He’s been on the bench for Colchester in the league this season. 

Only one spot for a keeper and didn't know he came from a family of Charlton supporters.
    Brighton have been Monitoring James Beadle for quite a while. When you think Pope was released by Ipswich and playing for Bury in Suffolk, you realized how advanced James is compared to Nick at the same age. When you consider that Beadle is 4 and 5 years younger than Harness and AMB you wonder if he can leapfrog them so he in contention for the number 1 spot while he is still in his teens ?
    Graham Tutt was probably the only keeper who had became our 1st team goalie when still 19 ? Not sure what age the Great Sam Bartram became number 1 ?
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Only one spot for a keeper and didn't know he came from a family of Charlton supporters.
    Brighton have been Monitoring James Beadle for quite a while. When you think Pope was released by Ipswich and playing for Bury in Suffolk, you realized how advanced James is compared to Nick at the same age. When you consider that Beadle is 4 and 5 years younger than Harness and AMB you wonder if he can leapfrog them so he in contention for the number 1 spot while he is still in his teens ?
    Graham Tutt was probably the only keeper who had became our 1st team goalie when still 19 ? Not sure what age the Great Sam Bartram became number 1 ?
    I think Sam was in his very early twenties when he joined us…..but I’m not sure when he got his first game in the first team.
  • Options
    Lee Harmsworth was 17 when he played three games for us in the 84/85 season.
  • Options
    Man U already offered half a million for Beadle
  • Options
    Wow really, when was that?
  • Options
    I assume Beadle isn’t on a pro deal yet? We managed to get Williams and Campbell signed up early but no mention of Beadle or Elewere yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

I think Sam was in his very early twenties when he joined us…..but I’m not sure when he got his first game in the first team.
    Sam was 20 when he joined us in 1934 and made 18 league appearances for the Division 3 South Championship winning team in 34/35 the first of its back to back promotions. Runners up to Manure in Div 2 Division 35/36 (39 league appearances) and then Div 1 champions Man Citeh in 36/37 (42 league appearances). Lightning couldn’t strike twice with young Beadle could it 😯.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    James is on the bench for England this afternoon... KO is at 1pm with the game on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sryaxyLNm5s

• Options
    shirty5 said:

A goalie with part of a finger missing!
  • Options
    So Beadle won’t be about much longer.
  • Options
    Only positive is it’s written by Nixon.

We might be hoping for £400k but I can’t see how we avoid getting a nominal fee due to EPPP.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16515644/chelsea-transfer-target-james-beadle-charlton/
  • Options
    Can’t imagine why he’d want to leave if he’s a charlton fan - look at Gomez and pope, there’s a clear pathway from the first team to going all the way to playing for England. 
  • Options
    Can’t imagine why he’d want to leave if he’s a charlton fan - look at Gomez and pope, there’s a clear pathway from the first team to going all the way to playing for England. 
    Moving to Chelsea gives him a clear pathway to lots and lots of lovely money.
  • Options
    Can just see the boardroom conversation now 

TS - Beadle has left for Chelsea and we only get 400k compensation . We have been robbed ! Who’s bright idea was this scheme 

Roddy - That will be me. 
    It’s more like £40k plus add ons if he plays for Chelsea’s first team (so £40k then).