Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Youth team goal keepers

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Can’t imagine why he’d want to leave if he’s a charlton fan - look at Gomez and pope, there’s a clear pathway from the first team to going all the way to playing for England. 
    As for a "clear pathway" Gomez left us a month after his 18th birthday having only started 16 League games. As a keeper, Pope didn't start 16 games 'til he was 23. So that's potentially £5m plus that Beadle might be giving up for the sake of staying with us and being sent out on loan as we did with Pope, AM, Elliott etc etc. Chelsea are quite capable of doing that too. Of course, there's nothing to stop him signing for Chelsea and coming back to us on loan. But then would we take him on loan at say 18 and put him in the first team as we don't tend to do that with 18 year old keepers.

In one family we witness the two ends of the footballing pyramid. Older brother Harry was released by us at the end of last season at the age of 18 but has thankfully found a club at Colchester. That is, however, a world away from being sought by Chelsea. 

Sometimes, as fans, we need to put ourselves in the shoes of those players and forget our allegiances. It is a short career after all. And it isn't their fault that the system is so wrong that a club can nurture a player with relatively little return.
  • Options
    Worth looking at another very local young goalkeeper, Nathan Baxter, who starred on loan for Accrington against us at the Valley last season.
    He is a young keeper on Chelsea’s books, a lot of loans, but massive money.
    Beadle would be behind him in the pecking order, but whisper it quietly I think the excellent Beadle is behind the excellent Harness in the pecking order at Charlton.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Worth looking at another very local young goalkeeper, Nathan Baxter, who starred on loan for Accrington against us at the Valley last season.
    He is a young keeper on Chelsea’s books, a lot of loans, but massive money.
    Beadle would be behind him in the pecking order, but whisper it quietly I think the excellent Beadle is behind the excellent Harness in the pecking order at Charlton.
    But there is a reason for that. Beadle is 17, Harness is 21 and Baxter will be 23 in a couple of weeks time. Chelsea would be paying for Beadle's potential. Not where is now and he has four to six years of development before he reaches those other keepers' ages
  • Options
    I still regret letting the other Beadle go, as offering BOTH Beadles a contract would have been an excellent enticement to get James to sign a contract.

And the cost is peanuts when compared to any loss of transfer fee
  • Options
    Can’t imagine why he’d want to leave if he’s a charlton fan - look at Gomez and pope, there’s a clear pathway from the first team to going all the way to playing for England. 
    Plus with Dillon and Rob Elliot as well, we've got a good recent history of promoting goalkeepers from within
  • Options
    Plus with Dillon and Rob Elliot as well, we've got a good recent history of promoting goalkeepers from within
    But neither were being pursued by a top PL club willing to pay them a £1m plus per annum for not playing as opposed to being paid £100,000 for not playing with us until they are 22 or 23. Both us and Chelsea will send Beadle out on loan and he might never make it at Chelsea. But then neither might Harness, AMV or any other of our young keepers.
  • Options
    True, or Reece James and Mason Mount. 
  • Options
    Yeah easy to forget how Chelsea have really changed with giving youth a chance since Lampard came in.

To add though (rather than just creating a new post) - Chelsea have four Goalkeepers in their First Team (well the squad on Wiki) - three Goalkeepers are out on loan, and another four in their U23s and U18s.

I suppose that Beadle would have to believe that he can push his way to the front of that queue, else whats the point of being a Professional Goalkeeper - Hopefully he'll decide to follow Jack Butland's lead where he turned them down when he was at Birmingham as he knew he'd be a backup Goalkeeper. Although you have to wonder if he regrets that decision now, even more so given the shithole he's at now.
  • Options
    Yeah easy to forget how Chelsea have really changed with giving youth a chance since Lampard came in.

To add though (rather than just creating a new post) - Chelsea have four Goalkeepers in their First Team (well the squad on Wiki) - three Goalkeepers are out on loan, and another four in their U23s and U18s.

I suppose that Beadle would have to believe that he can push his way to the front of that queue, else whats the point of being a Professional Goalkeeper - Hopefully he'll decide to follow Jack Butland's lead where he turned them down when he was at Birmingham as he knew he'd be a backup Goalkeeper. Although you have to wonder if he regrets that decision now, even more so given the shithole he's at now.
    Again, if he is paid £5m over 5 years then he is a Professional Keeper whether he plays or not for them. If all players were just paid to play then they would all be on pay per game contracts. We can't guarantee Beadle a first team place in a few years any more than Chelsea can. The same goes for AMB who is struggling at the moment and might not make it with us. And he's 22. We can't even say, hand on heart, that our keeping coaches are going to be better than Chelsea's. 

The keeping position is, more than any other, the one where players do not normally get a chance at 18 be it at Chelsea or Charlton. But even if Beadle didn't make it ultimately at Chelsea he might still be able to drop down to the same level as we are. And have earned 10 times as much in the intervening period.

It is the compensation system as I've said before that's so wrong. But I really do not see what do we have to offer that's better than Chelsea can. 
  • Options

Again, if he is paid £5m over 5 years then he is a Professional Keeper whether he plays or not for them. If all players were just paid to play then they would all be on pay per game contracts. We can't guarantee Beadle a first team place in a few years any more than Chelsea can. The same goes for AMB who is struggling at the moment and might not make it with us. And he's 22. We can't even say, hand on heart, that our keeping coaches are going to be better than Chelsea's. 

The keeping position is, more than any other, the one where players do not normally get a chance at 18 be it at Chelsea or Charlton. But even if Beadle didn't make it ultimately at Chelsea he might still be able to drop down to the same level as we are. And have earned 10 times as much in the intervening period.

It is the compensation system as I've said before that's so wrong. But I really do not see what do we have to offer that's better than Chelsea can. 
    With the "whats the point of being a Professional Footballer" comment...

I was more thinking of whats the point of trying to be one if you dont believe in your own ability to be able to get to the levels that you want to aim for - Could argue that Chelsea is a tad unrealistic, but imagine if you're happy to settle for second best in this game, then another kid with more hunger and desire (threw up at those cliches) will get ahead of you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021

With the "whats the point of being a Professional Footballer" comment...

I was more thinking of whats the point of trying to be one if you dont believe in your own ability to be able to get to the levels that you want to aim for - Could argue that Chelsea is a tad unrealistic, but imagine if you're happy to settle for second best in this game, then another kid with more hunger and desire (threw up at those cliches) will get ahead of you.
    But how 'bout aiming to be Chelsea's first team keeper but ultimately having to settle for Charlton if it doesn't work out? This is the England youth keeper we are talking about after all. There is only one goalkeeping position at any club and it's not like an outfield player who might be able to play in two or three positions. So why stay with us when he will spend four or five years out on loan anyway? 

I'm sure if one were to ask AMB if he were Beadle what he would do his answer wouldn't be to stay with us. Because at 22 AMB is no nearer the first team than he was when he was 17. And he will have earned peanuts by comparison to what Beadle will. After four or five years he can make the decision as to whether to leave Chelsea. But he might not be able to move in the opposite direction to Chelsea if he stays with us.
  • Options
    "Ben Hamer went to Leicester for the money". The view of Ben Roberts our keeper coach at the time, which most of us realised because Kasper Schmeichel signed a new long extension to his contract the same week.

Beadle is odds on to leave without playing a 1st team game as he just won't get a chance to play early like Deji, Gomez, Shelvey,or Bowyer going back even further.
    Henry and Grant only played because of senior player shortage when they were 17.

I think its a given at Charlton he will leave.
    He will get decent wages at a premier club to play for their U18 or U23 or most probably go out on loan with the other 100 or so players that Chelsea are the parent club too.

• Options

• Options
    oh dear, has he gone then ?
  • Options
    Gutted if true 😞
  • Options
    Real shame, but was predicted above, anyone know what the rules are re any compo that we'll get for this or future transfers for him, games played etc, or is it just down to whatever we negotiated into his transfer agreement?
  • Options
    Chelski ?
  • Options
    Not Chelsea we got a good deal won’t go into details now 
  • Options
    Post since taken down...but no, not Chelsea...
  • Options
    Man Utd were sniffing around at one point apparently

But I know Brighton are very busy in this area (certainly in Kent) recently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMB and Harness both look highly promising. AMB might even displace Macca next season 
  • Options
    I still regret letting the other Beadle go, as offering BOTH Beadles a contract would have been an excellent enticement to get James to sign a contract.

And the cost is peanuts when compared to any loss of transfer fee
    Don’t beat yourself up about it. 

• Options
    Crazy highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zkEzRTaBWg

I dare say it would have been better for all concerned if Harvey had actually connected with that waste of oxygen number 9's head 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Crazy highlights

I dare say it would have been better for all concerned if Harvey had actually connected with that waste of oxygen number 9's head 
    What I don't get is how Harvey is sent off based on that clip?
  • Options
    Those kinda games have way too much pond life on the pitch. Look at the state of half the lumps, both body and attitude wise.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Crazy highlights

What I don't get is how Harvey is sent off based on that clip?
    Their 9 basically attacks him while he's holding the ball and he has a swing in self-defence. Referee should yellow them both imo
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Those kinda games have way too much pond life on the pitch. Look at the state of half the lumps, both body and attitude wise.
    Danny Kedwell is a former league pro so is allowed to haul his arse around! Nifty goalkeeping too