Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Oh, and I forgot to add above, my new supplier - Igloo - actually pays interest if you are in credit. Something like 3% too - so better than most bank accounts.
    I have been with Igloo for around 18 months and get 3% interest when in credit.
    Was thinking of crediting my life savings to my energy account...
    However, Igloo has just announced a 14% increase taking my initial monthly payment of around £46 to over £70. This is the second increase this year.
    I belong to Martin Lewis's cheap energy club who email me when my tariff becomes uncompetitive by whatever amount I pre-select.
    Just been advised its time to switch.
    Will be a pity as I appreciated the principle of being paid the interest.
    Hopefully I will find a new supplier who will do the same.
    It's funny you should say that because I've just been told my monthly payments are going up for the second time in the four months I've been with them. 

Paid £165 the first month, £186 the second and third months and now they've just taken £220 off me for the fourth month.

The thing is this has now put me £450 in credit - in just four months! I know they base it on the expected charges for the whole year and the summer months are distortive, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I wanted an energy supplier, not a savings plan!
  • Options
    Standing charges are a joke and should be removed immediately.

I always believed they were there to 'rent' your meter and pay for the meter man to make his bi annual visit and meter read check.

None of the that is done anymore. MY so called 'smart' meters were put in by a company who went bust three years ago and I am now on my fourth energy provider in the nine years I've been here - two of which have gone bust and passed me onto one of the 'big boys' with no possible input or choice from myself as the customer.

For the past three years my smart reader has been invisible to three suppliers and even giving them an accurate monthly meter reading EVERY month my bills still come in as 'estimated' and every time they're more than my actual readings.

Wankers the lot of them.

They may have had their faults as a nationalised industry, but oh for the days of the Government, using industry professionals with years and years of industry experience and no need to worry about profits for shareholders, pleasing the market and providing millions in salaries to vast numbers of executives who spend their lives working on Corporate marketing and the like.
  • Options

Customers have been advised not to panic after two energy suppliers announced they were to cease trading.

One of the firms is Midlothian-based People's Energy, which supplies gas and electricity to about 350,000 homes and 1,000 businesses.

The other is Dorset-based Utility Point, which has 220,000 domestic customers.

National advice service Advice Direct Scotland said energy supplies would continue for those affected.

It also said customers would not lose any money owed to them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-58557434

• Options
    @JohnBoyUK

Take a look at Octopus, we have just changed and they are great. I have a large 4 bed house, under floor heating throughout the ground floor, second freezer in the shed, 32amp hot tub that is on 24/7, a workshop in my garage that contains every electric tool known to man plus everything else a house has today and not far off what you have apart from the AC.

I am paying Octopus £110.00 per month for gas & leccy and at the moment in credit due to the summer months, I suspect the credit will be used up in the winter but I am not expecting any major bills.

They send me a monthly email to remind me to submit monthly meter readings and you can change how much you pay each month with a couple of clicks, no calling customer services. 
    Not saying your wrong but when you look at what Octopus quoted me on previous page, it was more expensive than OVO. Now I’m paying OVO £120 per month. Live alone in a 3 bed semi,  no hot tub, no second freezer, no workshop and pure basic Gas combi boiler.  I should double check your figures…. As just can’t see why it’s so cheap. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Oh, and I forgot to add above, my new supplier - Igloo - actually pays interest if you are in credit. Something like 3% too - so better than most bank accounts.
    I have been with Igloo for around 18 months and get 3% interest when in credit.
    Was thinking of crediting my life savings to my energy account...
    However, Igloo has just announced a 14% increase taking my initial monthly payment of around £46 to over £70. This is the second increase this year.
    I belong to Martin Lewis's cheap energy club who email me when my tariff becomes uncompetitive by whatever amount I pre-select.
    Just been advised its time to switch.
    Will be a pity as I appreciated the principle of being paid the interest.
    Hopefully I will find a new supplier who will do the same.
    It's funny you should say that because I've just been told my monthly payments are going up for the second time in the four months I've been with them. 

Paid £165 the first month, £186 the second and third months and now they've just taken £220 off me for the fourth month.

The thing is this has now put me £450 in credit - in just four months! I know they base it on the expected charges for the whole year and the summer months are distortive, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I wanted an energy supplier, not a savings plan!
    Submitted my meter readings tonight and am in credit by around £100 with another £70 due to be paid on Sunday under my payment plan.  Doubt whether the cost of the dual fuel used will be more than £50 because my house is in summer mode and the heating, which drinks gas, is switched off.
    I don't want to continue building up a nest egg for winter with Igloo if I am going to change supplier in the next few days. I moved from Utility Warehouse several years ago to escape their zero interest savings plan agenda.
    I investigated alternative suppliers this evening and found those who could save me £50 either required a smart meter to be fitted, were small and relatively new to the market and had no customer service rating, or required a month's payment up front.
    I won't go with a company with one service agent and a recorded message telling me they value my custom, but are too busy to take my call, as it won't end well for them!
    I don't want a smart meter as I don’t see any personal benefit. I control my main energy usage in winter (heating) by keeping the temperature down and wearing a jumper! I attempted to have one fitted a few years ago and the installer tried to fit three before he gave up and fitted a new conventional meter. He couldn't get a signal apparently. 
    I think there were issues with the first generation meters and subsequent models gave resolved this, but I am not convinced. I won't accept the risk / hassle of signing up for an account that requires a smart meter and then get charged a higher non-smart meter rate because a meter can't be fitted though no fault of my own.
    I will take another look tomorrow, but think I will end up taking a £50 hit to stay with Igloo to avoid the issues above. In which case I will get my monthly payments reduced to minimise the surplus.
    I would rather pay for what I use each month, more in winter and less in summer. My previous supplier, Shell Energy and their predecessors, charged by this method.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK

Take a look at Octopus, we have just changed and they are great. I have a large 4 bed house, under floor heating throughout the ground floor, second freezer in the shed, 32amp hot tub that is on 24/7, a workshop in my garage that contains every electric tool known to man plus everything else a house has today and not far off what you have apart from the AC.

I am paying Octopus £110.00 per month for gas & leccy and at the moment in credit due to the summer months, I suspect the credit will be used up in the winter but I am not expecting any major bills.

They send me a monthly email to remind me to submit monthly meter readings and you can change how much you pay each month with a couple of clicks, no calling customer services. 
    Not saying your wrong but when you look at what Octopus quoted me on previous page, it was more expensive than OVO. Now I’m paying OVO £120 per month. Live alone in a 3 bed semi,  no hot tub, no second freezer, no workshop and pure basic Gas combi boiler.  I should double check your figures…. As just can’t see why it’s so cheap. 
    I am happy with my figures and I am over £100 in credit as said above. It is yours that sounds expensive, the reason I moved to Octopus was because I was with British Gas who we all know are the most expensive provider on the planet.

I was paying them £146.00 per month for all of the above i.e. under floor heating throughout the ground floor, second freezer in the shed, 32amp hot tub that is on 24/7, a workshop in my garage which is only £26.00 more than what you are paying now.

Add in the fact I live in a detached house and you are in a semi yours is deffo on the expensive side.

When you got your quote did you provide them with actual usage figures? I went back over 12 months worth of British Gas bills and provided Octopus with actual usage which then generated my quote/plan.
  • Options
    I'm inclined to agree that yours sounds a bit toppy, @RaplhMilne. My circumstances are not that different from yours, and my DD at £76 per month is only that high following little miss idle's Covid stay here last winter when apparently 3000W of fan heater pointing at you all day is the absolute minimum if you can't be bothered to actually get dressed properly...It was previously £48 and keeping nicely on target.
    My house is old with no insulation anywhere, single glazed windows and solid walls. Expecting my own personal climate demo any time now!
    Best heat saving advice - cashmere jumpers.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    @JohnBoyUK

I am happy with my figures and I am over £100 in credit as said above. It is yours that sounds expensive, the reason I moved to Octopus was because I was with British Gas who we all know are the most expensive provider on the planet.

I was paying them £146.00 per month for all of the above i.e. under floor heating throughout the ground floor, second freezer in the shed, 32amp hot tub that is on 24/7, a workshop in my garage which is only £26.00 more than what you are paying now.

Add in the fact I live in a detached house and you are in a semi yours is deffo on the expensive side.

When you got your quote did you provide them with actual usage figures? I went back over 12 months worth of British Gas bills and provided Octopus with actual usage which then generated my quote/plan.
    Agree, I think mine is way over the top, but was best deal I could find. When I looked at octopus they quoted me the following best deal figures. 

Electric Daily Standing 23.3p per day and 19.86 per KW
    Gas.     Daily Standing 26.59 per day and  5.33 per KW

id be really interested in what your paying on your fixed deal. An I did quote them usage over the past 12 months, as the calculation for my estimate for the next year. 

My Annual usage was calculated at 3850 KWH Electric and 14870 KWH of gas. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    just shows how fragile and vulnerable is our energy supply structure. 
  • Options
    My annual usage was 3608 KWH Electric & 15572 KWH of Gas,

I switched from Octopus to Green Energy via Martin Lewis a couple of months ago.
    Electric Daily Standing 22p per day and 18.581 per KW
    Gas      Daily Standing 22p per day and  3.066 per KW

Fixed for 2 years.
  • Options
    Careful who you switch to. Four energy companies have gone bust in the last week including me, the people’s energy company. Awaiting Ofgen to allocate a new supplier at which point I can switch again if I want to.
  • Options
    We've used EDF for several years , after using comparison sites as each contract end approaches. 

They've offered the best deal for us again this year & renewed a fixed rate contract back in July.

We have a 3-4 bed , 16 year old, terraced house ( 1 of 7) so have good insulation , double glazing sash windows & combi boiler.

We keep the doors firmly closed on any rooms not currently in use, also  turning off the radiators and tend to keep the temp control at around 60degrees. In cold weather, this is turned down to apprx 50 whenever we leave the house & adjusted accordingly on our return. 

It IS a warm house with full sun at the front in the morning and at the back in the afternoon. 

We're currently paying £78 pm which is slightly more than before the previous contract ended. 

Hope that might help someone. 

( NB NO hot tub but have an elderly freezer in the shed for "stock" food that doesn't fit in the kitchen's fridge/freezer) 
  • Options
    We've used EDF for several years , after using comparison sites as each contract end approaches. 

They've offered the best deal for us again this year & renewed a fixed rate contract back in July.

We have a 3-4 bed , 16 year old, terraced house ( 1 of 7) so have good insulation , double glazing sash windows & combi boiler.

We keep the doors firmly closed on any rooms not currently in use, also  turning off the radiators and tend to keep the temp control at around 60degrees. In cold weather, this is turned down to apprx 50 whenever we leave the house & adjusted accordingly on our return. 

It IS a warm house with full sun at the front in the morning and at the back in the afternoon. 

We're currently paying £78 pm which is slightly more than before the previous contract ended. 

( NB NO hot tub but have an elderly freezer in the shed for "stock" food that doesn't fit in the kitchen's fridge/freezer) 
    I was with EDF for a long time then switched to Eon .. I'll be switching back to EDF very soon as Eon are insisting that I have a smart meter installed .. a big no to that .. Incidentally for several years EDF had the lowest rates, then they suddenly shot up, I guess that I was being taken for granted .. EDF has now offered me more than enough cash to pay off the early exit fees with Eon and get a few days free power .. just a few days though ((:>)
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58610561
    More bad news, more small companies going bust it seems.
  • Options

I was with EDF for a long time then switched to Eon .. I'll be switching back to EDF very soon as Eon are insisting that I have a smart meter installed .. a big no to that .. Incidentally for several years EDF had the lowest rates, then they suddenly shot up, I guess that I was being taken for granted .. EDF has now offered me more than enough cash to pay off the early exit fees with Eon and get a few days free power .. just a few days though ((:>)
    No energy company can insist you have a smart meter installed, it is optional.
  • Options

No energy company can insist you have a smart meter installed, it is optional.
    it was in the small print of the contract, theoretically I  am in breach .. so they are making life difficult, insisting on regular meter readings or I'll get ridiculous estimated bills, sending me emails and letters asking when they can come and install a meter, stuff like that.. so, they can't break in the house to install a smart meter, but Eon can (and have made) make life more awkward than it needs to be. My fault entirely for going for a low price with strings attached .. BUT fuck 'em, I'm off 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I’ve submitted my meter readings to BGas for my electric and gas for the past six months since the last meter reading. I’m £282 in credit (summer usage, air con obviously not as expensive as central heating) as a result of my regular £224 pm DDs and they’ve just sent me a message saying that DD figure is likely to mean I’ll end up in arrears…
  • Options
    I'm with Utility Point who have just gone bust and have £40 credit which isn't too bad. However been advised not to change to a new supplier and have no idea what tariff I'm on as they have gone bust. 
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK

Have you checked that your neighbours have not tapped into your supply to feed their horticultural business?
  • Options
    some of the regular payments on here are ridiculous .. do some of you live at the North Pole and have electric fires going 24/7 with underfloor heating and multiple tvs, fridge freezers and gaming computers always switched on? .. I have never paid a monthly fee of more than £80 for a smallish 3 bed detached house, and while careful with my usage, I don't stint on either gas or electric consumption ..  What companies are you lot with, Mafia Power Inc ?
    Think many would agree that it can be very difficult to say 'no' to Mafia Power Inc....
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    WSS said:
    Our Gas and Electric bills are absolutely off the scale. Calmed down a bit throughout the summer months….winter is a nightmare 

anyone else got a smart meter??
    Hopefully very few have been conned into getting one. 
    Completely ignorant to this, why are they a con?
    They don’t give you any benefit but old meters generally under measure usage whereas smart meters don’t so you generally end up paying a bit more. And you pay for the leccy that runs it. 
    So actually you're conning the companies by under reporting usage when you could be being honest. If everyone reports the right usage logically bills should be more fair (even be reduced - though unlikely) as the price won't rise as much to combat underreported usage.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    WSS said:
    Our Gas and Electric bills are absolutely off the scale. Calmed down a bit throughout the summer months….winter is a nightmare 

They don’t give you any benefit but old meters generally under measure usage whereas smart meters don’t so you generally end up paying a bit more. And you pay for the leccy that runs it. 
    So actually you're conning the companies by under reporting usage when you could be being honest. If everyone reports the right usage logically bills should be more fair (even be reduced - though unlikely) as the price won't rise as much to combat underreported usage.
    How is it conning anyone by giving them the reading the meter says?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    WSS said:

How is it conning anyone by giving them the reading the meter says?
    Because he knows it's wrong, therefore a smart meter would give the honest accurate reading Shirley?
  • Options
    Why are people against having smart meters? I was going to ask to have them…
  • Options
    I’ve submitted my meter readings to BGas for my electric and gas for the past six months since the last meter reading. I’m £282 in credit (summer usage, air con obviously not as expensive as central heating) as a result of my regular £224 pm DDs and they’ve just sent me a message saying that DD figure is likely to mean I’ll end up in arrears…
    £224??? What is it a hotel?