Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    It is a big place yes 8 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms and a few other living rooms and I have 4 teenagers plus a 22 year old still living at home. Before anyone starts i live in North Wales and my place is probably worth less than most in London.
    I dont have gas as off mains gas grid. Heating provided by 2 big ASHP's
  • Options
    £600pm for electricity?
    You could runs a cannabis farm for less.
    I pay about £60pm for electricity and £60pm for gas (on average).
    You was right about the cannabis farm then.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    It is a big place yes 8 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms and a few other living rooms and I have 4 teenagers plus a 22 year old still living at home. Before anyone starts i live in North Wales and my place is probably worth less than most in London.
    I dont have gas as off mains gas grid. Heating provided by 2 big ASHP's
    Fair play then, £600 a month seems cheap but sounds like you have cracked it with your new scheme. Good luck with it. 
  • Options
    How's the performance/reliability of the ASHP? 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    IdleHans said:
    Just had an email from Octopus Energy advising that the Avro energy account is being moved there on a tariff that will be cheaper than anything the big 6 are offering and lower than any fixed tariff they are offering new customers on their own website.
    I have to say, very efficient.
    Ditto.
    me too - will await to see the tariff they send, there is no tie in/penalty clauses so can shop around if need be
  • Options
    I know , its probably melted.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Just had an email from Octopus Energy advising that the Avro energy account is being moved there on a tariff that will be cheaper than anything the big 6 are offering and lower than any fixed tariff they are offering new customers on their own website.
    I have to say, very efficient.
    Ditto.
    me too - will await to see the tariff they send, there is no tie in/penalty clauses so can shop around if need be
    Although, they are telling us there's nothing cheaper on the market at present.
  • Options
    What I don't understand is have the companies 'sold' energy in the form of a fixed rate that that hadn't forward bought. I know the Futures market involves buying the right to buy something at a fixed in the future. But how can energy firms agree a rate with customers for something they haven't actually bought/secured?
    good question .. and that's why so many have gone bust owing millions, some after paying hefty salaries and dividends to the owners. Enron this ain't but there are questions that need looking into and answering by the quango (Ofgem, probably useless, and why not OfgeN ?) responsible for the oversight of the industry
    High salaries and dividends?
    Boris would be so proud....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here we go...
  • Options
    Saw this a couple weeks back and didn’t believe it. I have a fixed with OVO currently paying £90 a month. They are now offering me a new one year deal for same annual usage at £125 a month. An increase of £420 per year.

They have increased prices as follows.

Electric   Daily standing was  18.89p now 22.82p
                   KW PER UNIT.        14.26. now 19.60

Gas.        Daily standing          16.96. now  22.14
                    KW PER UNIT.         2.57.  now.  3.98

These are hefty hikes……

Just started punting around for new deal.
    Just taken another look OVO are now quoting.

Electric Daily Standing 22.04p.  KW per unit 32.16
    Gas.     Daily Standing 21.11p.   KW per unit 8.81

These increases are mad, their gas per KW doubling in less than a month.
  • Options
    I was Avro too and am being switched to Octopus. I just a did a quote on the Octopus website based on my past energy consumption and it came out nearly double the Avro direct debit amount. I was hoping I had done something wrong but I don’t think so. Gulp!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The price cap is lower than a lot of the fixes. 

Everyone has to make their own choice, but I know that I'm going to move onto the standard tariff when my fix ends in November, wait a few months until wholesale prices drop, and then get another fix when the prices are below the cap. 
  • Options
    Was on Scottish Powers Standard tariff but moved it over to the 2-year fix this week. All too complex for my little brain, but need to speak to them as I’m fairly sure they’ve been having me over. My monthly charge has been creeping up, up to £291 last month, despite holding a £500+ balance. 

• Options
    Was on Scottish Powers Standard tariff but moved it over to the 2-year fix this week. All too complex for my little brain, but need to speak to them as I’m fairly sure they’ve been having me over. My monthly charge has been creeping up, up to £291 last month, despite holding a £500+ balance. 

OMG £291?? Do you live in a castle lol?  
  • Options

If you do go back to them, it might also be worth checking the real value of the fix with the view of being able to cancel it during the cooling off period as from what I’ve heard and read most of these are now set at or above the new price cap anyway - and hopefully the standard rates should start to come down again at some point within two years!
  • Options
    Text message from British gas this morning  about installing a smart meter with dates.
    Email tonight  final reminder you've not yet booked your smart reader if you fail to do so we may change your tariff rate.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Text message from British gas this morning  about installing a smart meter with dates.
    Email tonight  final reminder you've not yet booked your smart reader if you fail to do so we may change your tariff rate.
    Evil company, absolute bastards is being too kind. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Convinced that a few companies will have to do a long term deal with Gazprom and Putin will open the taps, resulting a nose dive in the spot prices before the cap is removed. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I would fight that to the bitter end. Smart meters are not compulsory and do sweet FA in helping reduce your bills unless you are prepared to watch it all day and rush round switching things off.
  • Options
    I sent a couple of tweets asking how many others are they bullying.
    At a time when I'm worried about energy Bill's I've got them threatening me.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I would fight that to the bitter end. Smart meters are not compulsory and do sweet FA in helping reduce your bills unless you are prepared to watch it all day and rush round switching things off.
    I WAS with eon and had the same problem, i.e. constant emails and letters re installing a smart meter. I ignored them and then started a regular demand for monthly meter readings and the 'threat' that if I didn't send readings, I would get (presumably) inflated 'estimated reading bills'. Anyway, I have now switched and following a telephone call to edf, I'm assured there will be no demand to install a smart meter, we will see. The new deal is a set rate for 3 years 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I WAS with eon and had the same problem, i.e. constant emails and letters re installing a smart meter. I ignored them and then started a regular demand for monthly meter readings and the 'threat' that if I didn't send readings, I would get (presumably) inflated 'estimated reading bills'. Anyway, I have now switched and following a telephone call to edf, I'm assured there will be no demand to install a smart meter, we will see. The new deal is a set rate for 3 years 
    All good but I don’t see a problem with monthly meter readings. I am with Octopus and they email me on the 25th of each month asking for meter readings, I nip out and read them both, log on and add them to my account.

Job done, no estimates, and I am in complete control.
    agreed, BUT it was the rude way eon went about it .. and Octopus .. when I did comparisons before moving from eon, Octopus was one of the more expensive suppliers
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    All good but I don’t see a problem with monthly meter readings. I am with Octopus and they email me on the 25th of each month asking for meter readings, I nip out and read them both, log on and add them to my account.

agreed, BUT it was the rude way eon went about it .. and Octopus .. when I did comparisons before moving from eon, Octopus was one of the more expensive suppliers
    Cheapest now (or when I was moved over 2 weeks ago).
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Probably the rubbish comparison sites .. my quote from Octopus for a 'regular sized' 3 bed detached house was £158 a month for a year, EDF quoted £118 a month for three years .. with my longish contract with Eon I was paying £72 a month and keeping just in credit .. from 72 to 118 is a big leap. When comparing the per unit and standing cost, Octopus was marginally cheaper, but just for a one year deal. I've taken a punt with EDF on a 3year deal hoping the prices don't drop .. thing is, when do prices for anything ever drop ?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I've taken a punt with EDF on a 3year deal hoping the prices don't drop .. thing is, when do prices for anything ever drop ?
    Normally just after I've signed a 3 year fixed deal  :D