Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Monthly payments with British Gas now up to £200 per month for a 4 bed townhouse!  Just got to bite the bullet atm. A lot of family’s are going to struggle with this unfortunately! 
  • Options
    addix said:
    Addickted said:
    Brent Crude price down by 12.67% yesterday.
    Natural Gas price down by 4.82% yesterday.

Looking forward to the subsequent speedy reductions in the retail prices.

The Tesco near me has no supermarket competition and charges 151.9p/l for unleaded. 6p/l more than even a local Esso garage.  Maybe you have to be a Clubcard member to get it at a fair price!
    I am 'lucky' here, there are four supermarkets (the big 4) within the same kinda distance from me. Tesco is consistently the most expensive even if by a penny or two
    I have been stuck indoors for the past month with some kind of virus, it is a fecking BITCH and won't go away, I have rarely left the house since mid October except for 'essentials'.
    Anyway, I last bought petrol way back on October 2nd, it was £1.31 per litre (Sainsbury) .. today the Sainsbury price is £1.44 per litre, Tesco is £1.46 .. June 2020, price was £1.00 per litre at Morrisons
  • Options
    Anyone else not yet been advised which company will be taking over their supply?

I'm was with Green and continue to pay via DD to them. And they went under at the end of September!

£26 per month for both fuels, while I wait though, which is relatively nice.
    I was with Green, Shell energy have taken over my account, got an email yesterday from Green saying my final statement is ready for me to download.
    Yeah, I've been transferred from Green to Shell, no mention of a fee so I guess I've gone on a free.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Just checked my energy account and see that I am now just shy of £900 in credit - with Igloo!

What could possibly go wrong there?
  • Options
    We are about £550 in credit with igloo.  Just waiting for ion next to take must of it 😂😂.  It’s not been handled that well.
  • Options
    Well very cold yesterday, so put heating on at 9 in morning went off at 11 last night.  Had a normal days electricity, lights, fridge, freezer, TV. My smart meter tells me that was £7.40 for the day. Feel for those living on state pension, who will struggle at these levels.
  • Options
    Well very cold yesterday, so put heating on at 9 in morning went off at 11 last night.  Had a normal days electricity, lights, fridge, freezer, TV. My smart meter tells me that was £7.40 for the day. Feel for those living on state pension, who will struggle at these levels.
    There are five of us at home and over the last three days it was around £10.00-£11.00 per day; therefore, it was not only the cold that made me shudder. Mind you if I need anything dropped off I just have to tell them the road I live in. My house would be the one with all the lights switched on!

• Options
    It's amazing how millennials whose are loud and proud with their green credentials can't work out that light switched go up as well as down.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    just read a lengthy rant by a consumer about her smart meter (it hasn't got a screen I can see, how do I know it's working?)  complaining that her summer quarter electricity was about £100 and the latest autumn quarter was over £300 "how can that be right, that's not fair, etc, etc"  She revealed she'd been swapped off a busted small company and put onto British Gas about 3 months ago and that she leaves her laptop, all her chargers etc plugged in and switched on 24/7 and that the BG unit rate is over 30p when the previous company unit rate was about 11p, she's never submitted a reading herself and doesn't know if the bills are based on actual or estimated readings - But she has no idea why her quarterly bill has increased by that amount - "it's all British Gas's fault"
    There are some people for whom there is absolutely no help.

Predictably the retail price of petrol continues to rise while the commodity price of WTI crude has dropped over 12% in recent weeks - but it's not a price fixed cartel, honest guv...
  • Options
    Everyone has converted all their bulbs to LED I presume? I am having some trouble with g9 dimmables but most of my savings came about when I converted a few years back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    It's amazing how millennials whose are loud and proud with their green credentials can't work out that light switched go up as well as down.
    Or down as well as up for our American members.
  • Options
    So my fix with Shell is due to end in Feb.

They have offered me the chance to reserve my next tariff called a flexible 6. The rates are not as high as I was fearing, but it is a variable rate.

They tell me if I don't reserve, then I will be moved onto a standard variable tariff but I'm a bit unsure what the difference is. Wouldn't the standard rate be a similar rate to this flexible 6? They're both variable so I guess will go up at any time.
    So basically I'm a bit unsure as to what the benefit of reserving would be,if any?
  • Options
    I’m With Octopus energy ( not fixed) I had a heavy bill come in for the month of December, checked back through old bills, it had gone up 25% on the previous December, think it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

On the news tonight try said the overall inflation rate is 7.2% increase (comparable last in 1992, expect price increases on other things as well, the lMinimum wage or whatever they call these days is going up by 6.6% in April.
  • Options
    They should inform you what the standard rate is (Capped until April when it will be increased by the regulators).
  • Options
    Not energy but I had a letter from Thames Water earlier this week asking me to switch to metered bills (they installed a meter six months ago) and telling me that I would save around £200 if I did and that they would give me a credit for the last six months as well. 

I did so and they have actually followed through. This year's bill down from £520 last year to £350 this and a £180 credit applied. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Not energy but I had a letter from Thames Water earlier this week asking me to switch to metered bills (they installed a meter six months ago) and telling me that I would save around £200 if I did and that they would give me a credit for the last six months as well. 

I did so and they have actually followed through. This year's bill down from £520 last year to £350 this and a £180 credit applied. 
    100%

Water companies always overcharged on estimated bills, a water meter gives you the actual usage.  
  • Options
    Our water bills went down 30% when we switched to a meter.
    I was surprised as with 4 adults I thought it would go up.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Just tuning into this as I’m coming to the end of my current deal with Scottish Power. We’ve been with them a year and have had smart meters fitted as per our current contract. We pay £205 per month for electricity and gas (we have a 450 year old thatched cottage and run an AGA, the washing machine/drier is never off and we’re at home 24/7 for obvious reasons. We’re not silly with the central heating. I currently pay £205 dd monthly and my usage is under control. I have just been invited to chose a monthly fixed price tariff “to protect myself” from price roses starting at £463 per month. Yes. That’s £463 per month. I didn’t miss type. What the actual fcuk?  I think I’ll be sticking with what’shisname’s advice and do nothing and wait for the standard variable rate.  Are people honestly stupid enough to sign up for these deals?  My apologies to those of you who have. If hese predictions are correct we’ll all be living in twelve jumpers. 
  • Options
    Just tuning into this as I’m coming to the end of my current deal with Scottish Power. We’ve been with them a year and have had smart meters fitted as per our current contract. We pay £205 per month for electricity and gas (we have a 450 year old thatched cottage and run an AGA, the washing machine/drier is never off and we’re at home 24/7 for obvious reasons. We’re not silly with the central heating. I currently pay £205 dd monthly and my usage is under control. I have just been invited to chose a monthly fixed price tariff “to protect myself” from price roses starting at £463 per month. Yes. That’s £463 per month. I didn’t miss type. What the actual fcuk?  I think I’ll be sticking with what’shisname’s advice and do nothing and wait for the standard variable rate.  Are people honestly stupid enough to sign up for these deals?  My apologies to those of you who have. If hese predictions are correct we’ll all be living in twelve jumpers. 
    In the same situation with ovo. The  advice from Martin Lewis was only to consider taking a deal if the increase was no more than 40%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    moving flat this weekend and had my mind blown by some comparison sites, 1 bed, 1st floor flat of 3 floors (incl ground) and £200/month for gas an electric? Mental. 
  • Options
    Loads of places not even letting you switch to them, Utilita and Octopus are 2 I know of, I imagine a lot of the others are the same
  • Options
    Can't believe how much is going up by now I am coming off a fix.

The good side effect for the environment is it has made me get an electrician in to convert all of our lights to LEDs.

Something a lot of people can't afford to do, I know, but a "positive" side effect of energy prices becoming more expensive. 
  • Options
    Led bulbs can be fitted to most existing light fittings and cost around £3 each. But spotlights and some dimmables more troublesome and may need swapping, ime.

I am still paying £26/month to Green Energy. Have a feeling something has gone wrong in the switching process but will say nothing to no-one yet.
  • Options
    Thankfully being in a new build, everything is LEDs, double glazing, water saving eco dishwasher and washing machine, there's even flow restrictors on all the taps and the shower to save water etc. We've also installed smart lighting and smart plugs in all the rooms, being able to turn them on and off with an app, so even if you accidentally leave something on you can turn it off whilst out. Our water bill for example was estimated at £65 a month when we moved in, and our DD has been cut down to £27 a month, and we're in credit by nearly £350 after nearly 12 months in the new place. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Loads of places not even letting you switch to them, Utilita and Octopus are 2 I know of, I imagine a lot of the others are the same
    exactly what i'm finding. SSE are another that arent giving quotes. Fixed rates only for some of the others. Got me over a barrel.
  • Options
    The price of logs doesnt seem to have gone up, so I'm making moreuse of the woodburner to keep warm. Trouble is, it only heats one room. Hot water bottles have been getting a good deal of use in the daytime too - amazing how long they will keep you warm if you sit one on your lap while working. Five minutes of a 2200W kettle lasts and hour and a half compared to the transient heat from a 2kw fan heater 
  • Options
    struggling to believe some of the numbers being quoted
    we were paying BG about £95/mth for gas & electric fixed for 2 years up to October 21 and our balance to actual reads is we owe them £20 - £30
    bum clenched when we asked them for a quote from November
    shopped around and couldn't find anyone much different
    2 years fixed tariffs, both gas & electric a few pence per therm more, new DDr £102/mth total
    3 bed semi built end 19th C, roof's lined and plenty of that glassfibre padding type loft insulation but nowhere near the 11inches currently recommended, double glazings at least 20 years old
    central heating's on most of the time from October to March at least, dishwasher, washing m/c, electric oven, no drier tho, all the lighting's LED
    what are people running if their utilities cost 2 and 3 times that much?  much lighting and heating rigged up in the loft or garage for some commercial horticulture?

• Options
    My business premises is also with Scottish Power and the DD is also £205 a month.

On Friday I logged on to my account t0 see that I was £2236 in credit. So decided to phone them to get a refund, The guy I was speaking too said yes no problem we can credit you £1950 but will have to change your DD to £264 per month! I said why? If I'm paying £205 per month and only actually using about £130 per month. He said he can't do the refund unless I accept it! Although to be fair he did say check after a couple of months and then go online and change the DD amount myself.