Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Oh well, looks like sky will fiinally be being canceled... something has to give.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    May I ask how many Lifers fixed their contract price in the past each time the current one was coming to an end. 

We've done this for many years , online, no fuss etc and currently have a fixed rate with EDF until August 2023.

In a 15 year old Georgian style, 3 bed terraced house, we are paying £78pm. 
    My gas and electricity is provided by Shell Energy. I have a fixed tariff until August 2023 thank goodness. I have a four bedroom detached  house built in 1976. Currently I am paying £167 per month for both. 
    with EDF dual fuel .. fixed tariff until October 2024 .. smallish and comfy 2 bedroom detached house .. the tariff is fixed BUT of course my monthly direct debit, currently £120, up from £65 (with Eon) is dependant on my gas/electricity usage . 

A word .. EDF 'import' nuclear generated electricity from France .. EDF is 80% owned by the French government which has mandated very small increases in energy prices to 'the French public' .. bit galling that my payments might be subsidising French consumers .. but there you go .. EDF a t m is the best supplier for my circumstances
  • Options
    Haven't got a clue what tariff we're on, for anything, as the missus deals with all of that. However, just checked the smart meter and it's bang on £13 for the week so far.
  • Options
    Haven't got a clue what tariff we're on, for anything, as the missus deals with all of that. However, just checked the smart meter and it's bang on £13 for the week so far.
    But spanners are 'ard - heating is for wimps.
  • Options
    Love the Tory thinking behind the idea that if you open a gas/electricity account after April, you don’t get the £200 short term reduction on the bill but you do have to pay it back! 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    I’m no expert on this but have just been listening to LBC where some interesting and unknown to me facts were given and ideas floated. Please forgive any small errors I might make because as I say this was on the radio. Apparently the U.K. still imports 4 millions tons of coal. We are sitting on enough coal to provide all energy needs for the U.K. for 50 years in coal reserves. Germany are still building coal fired power stations using carbon capture technology which is 20% more expensive than just burning the stuff. There is enough shale gas in the U.K. to provide all energy needs for 47 years. The idea floated was that the U.K. should whilst it ramps up renewable energy sources fall back in a limited and targeted way on our natural reserves. That’s not trying to open hundreds of coal mines or Fracking sites but to in the short term only utilise what we have. My instinct is to think no but I do think that we might need to investigate these limited options to see if it’s viable and the correct thing to do ? I’m sure some of you will be much better placed than I to offer an opinion  and correct my post.
    Not an expert in this either but that really isn't a short term solution in any way:

- we have no fracking facilities at all in this country. There was one in Lancashire but it ceased operations in 2019 after several earthquakes in the. National policy effectively prohibits plannning permissions for fracking. In order to start fracking in the UK, national policy would have to change (a year if at all?). Investment, site acquisition, design  and planning permission would have to be secured in the face of very strong local and NGO opposition (minimum 3 years with judcial challenges more liekly 5+ and that's before commencing construction. 

- I don't thin we have a single operational coal mine left in the UK. I don't knwo how many old ones coudl be brought back on stream. I don't think it would be at all easy to do so - certainly not a case of restarting operations. MInes woudl have been decomissioned with all equipment removed, land remediated and shafts refilled and in many cases sold off for development. 

- carbon apture is possible but it's very expensive, uses up a lot of energy itself and requires huge areas for storage. Again not a short term solution. We have hardly any coal fired power stations let so woudl have to build new ones - it takes a long time to design, secure permission (very controlversial) and construct. 
    I hear all of that but by short term I think we’re talking about 20 years here. Renewable will come online gradually but it’s going to take a long time to replace existing. Carbon capture is the route the Germans are taking for the medium future. I think they realise that unless they do there will be a reliance on imported gas for far too long. The Germans don’t bollox up too much.
    Well, we've gone from 10% to 45% renewables in 13 years and the target is 100% by 2035, whcih is definately achievable with improvements in technology, new nuclear and interconnectors. If short term is 20 years, then this seems a solution in search of a problem. 

The difficult issues with carbon/methane emissions aren't electricity generation, it's vehicle emissions (especially HGVs and planes), heavy industry (e.g. steel production), agriculture and moving away from gas for domestic heating and cooking. Coal and shale gas don't help with any of those. 
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Bailey said:
    Most people I know were Anti Corbyn with his plans to renationalise the utilities, was never a fan of him myself but it would certainly have made managing this crisis a lot easier. The government's suggestion of giving energy companies money to reduce bills has the same ring of the eight and a half billion invested in PPE, now written off. 
    i don't think that's why people were anti corbyn. People were anti corbyn because he was/is a crank. Some of the policies were quite good, but, much like the current government, there's only so long you can put lipstick on a pig.
    Corbyn has consistently been right about almost everything. I don't know why you call him a crank (I suspect you believe the lies told about him), he was our hope of a better future but he was destroyed by the media. Where were they when the lies were being told about Corbyn? Yet they are on the case with lies against Starmer - I wonder why.
    Oh dear.

I don’t want this to turn into a political discussion - but if they were lies, why hasn’t Corbyn sued anyone? Answer: they were provably not lies. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    For someone who is so highly rated, Sunak's judgement, is in the main, appalling 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    last quarter gas/ electric bill for Oct - Jan just landed in my inbox - £1,075.44 (ouch !)
    We just got ours too at £974! WTF!
    pretty mental - to be fair we have a sizeable 4 double bed house, hot tub, washing machine/tumble dryer/dishwasher on daily along with heating etc and 4 kids so TV's games consoles etc etc.

I was expecting it to be high
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    For someone who is so highly rated, Sunak's judgement, is in the main, appalling 
    Highly rated by who? He’s lost billions. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    I don't profess to know much about how the energy sector works, but I have been reading this thread on Twitter and some of the replies and links within the thread shed some light on it.
  • Options
    May I ask how many Lifers fixed their contract price in the past each time the current one was coming to an end. 

We've done this for many years , online, no fuss etc and currently have a fixed rate with EDF until August 2023.

In a 15 year old Georgian style, 3 bed terraced house, we are paying £78pm. 
    My gas and electricity is provided by Shell Energy. I have a fixed tariff until August 2023 thank goodness. I have a four bedroom detached  house built in 1976. Currently I am paying £167 per month for both. 
    Seems high to me, I live in a 4 bed detached house, have every gadget going and a 32amp hot tub which is on 24/7.

£110 per month with Octopus Energy.

I normally drop into a debit situation around now as our underfloor heating consumes a bit this time of year however once switched off when spring kicks in I soon move back into credit.

Obviously when my deal comes to an end it will go up but very happy with the deal at present With no debit surprises.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Jints said:
    I’m no expert on this but have just been listening to LBC where some interesting and unknown to me facts were given and ideas floated. Please forgive any small errors I might make because as I say this was on the radio. Apparently the U.K. still imports 4 millions tons of coal. We are sitting on enough coal to provide all energy needs for the U.K. for 50 years in coal reserves. Germany are still building coal fired power stations using carbon capture technology which is 20% more expensive than just burning the stuff. There is enough shale gas in the U.K. to provide all energy needs for 47 years. The idea floated was that the U.K. should whilst it ramps up renewable energy sources fall back in a limited and targeted way on our natural reserves. That’s not trying to open hundreds of coal mines or Fracking sites but to in the short term only utilise what we have. My instinct is to think no but I do think that we might need to investigate these limited options to see if it’s viable and the correct thing to do ? I’m sure some of you will be much better placed than I to offer an opinion  and correct my post.
    Not an expert in this either but that really isn't a short term solution in any way:

- we have no fracking facilities at all in this country. There was one in Lancashire but it ceased operations in 2019 after several earthquakes in the. National policy effectively prohibits plannning permissions for fracking. In order to start fracking in the UK, national policy would have to change (a year if at all?). Investment, site acquisition, design  and planning permission would have to be secured in the face of very strong local and NGO opposition (minimum 3 years with judcial challenges more liekly 5+ and that's before commencing construction. 

- I don't thin we have a single operational coal mine left in the UK. I don't knwo how many old ones coudl be brought back on stream. I don't think it would be at all easy to do so - certainly not a case of restarting operations. MInes woudl have been decomissioned with all equipment removed, land remediated and shafts refilled and in many cases sold off for development. 

- carbon apture is possible but it's very expensive, uses up a lot of energy itself and requires huge areas for storage. Again not a short term solution. We have hardly any coal fired power stations let so woudl have to build new ones - it takes a long time to design, secure permission (very controlversial) and construct. 
    I hear all of that but by short term I think we’re talking about 20 years here. Renewable will come online gradually but it’s going to take a long time to replace existing. Carbon capture is the route the Germans are taking for the medium future. I think they realise that unless they do there will be a reliance on imported gas for far too long. The Germans don’t bollox up too much.
    Well, we've gone from 10% to 45% renewables in 13 years and the target is 100% by 2035, whcih is definately achievable with improvements in technology, new nuclear and interconnectors. If short term is 20 years, then this seems a solution in search of a problem. 

The difficult issues with carbon/methane emissions aren't electricity generation, it's vehicle emissions (especially HGVs and planes), heavy industry (e.g. steel production), agriculture and moving away from gas for domestic heating and cooking. Coal and shale gas don't help with any of those. 
    The inclusion of nuclear power in the notion of "renewable" is ghastly nonsense.
    Seriously, what part of the fuel is renewable?
    Add to that the endless problem of dealing with the depleted fuel rods
    Add to that the serious risk of Fukushima, Chernobyl, 3 Mile Island, Kyshtym, Windscale type incidents from which the fallout won't abate for generations
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Jints said:
    Jints said:

The inclusion of nuclear power in the notion of "renewable" is ghastly nonsense.
    Seriously, what part of the fuel is renewable?
    Add to that the endless problem of dealing with the depleted fuel rods
    Add to that the serious risk of Fukushima, Chernobyl, 3 Mile Island, Kyshtym, Windscale type incidents from which the fallout won't abate for generations
    It’s not renewable, but it’s clean (zero carbon emissions) and incredibly efficient energy. We live in one of the most seismically stable areas on the planet - little to no risk of a Fukushima or Chernobyl (which was more down to general incompetence more than anything else). We should be the nuclear power capital of the world. Until battery storage gets better to the point we’re able to store renewables efficiently we should be more reliant on nuclear fuel. 
  • Options
    just looked at the fixed rate options with Brit Gas and (sod that) I'll take my chances with the current variable one
    Decided to look at this today and taking the same stance. They want to fix at 348 per month! Currently pay £150 and just upped it to £200 and going to hope for the best.

Really sad at the thought of families going without heat in order to eat. What a world. 
  • Options
    @Curb_It they offered to fix mine at £500 @ month!! (Gas and Electric)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Drown or freeze. The business choice.
  • Options
    Just had to up my monthly payment by £110 a month to £350 a month
  • Options
    £350 a month?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    An Englishman’s home is his castle 😉.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    Yes, my bill for the last 2 months was £521 & £493, never get an aga!!
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    £521 that's a mortgage.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    An Englishman’s home is his castle 😉.
    Reckon it would be cheaper to sit over a dustbin incinerator chucking £10 notes on! 
  • Options
    The advice of Martin Lewis is to stay on the price cap.
    Do not take out a fixed deal as they are all dearer.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    £521 that's a mortgage.
    In Crewe?