Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    My electric has just gone up from £200 per month to £400 per month. That said I have moved from oil central heating (live in the middle of nowhere!) to all electric so maybe saving £100 per month on oil. Converted barn with pretty much no added insulation, although just had brand new windows installed, and we have a hot tub that is on 24/7/365. 

Going through a major refurbishment at the moment and all lighting will be switched to LED.

About what I expected really.
  • Options
    moving flat this weekend and had my mind blown by some comparison sites, 1 bed, 1st floor flat of 3 floors (incl ground) and £200/month for gas an electric? Mental. 
    That's absolutely insane
  • Options
    The price the grid are paying for generated Mw/h  has been up and around the £3.5k for a lot of today.

Now that's mental!
  • Options
    I think energy prices are going to run and run this year.

Apart from the nutters on the M25 , (or not as the case may be) has anyone on here specifically had loft insulation fitted?

1) How much did it cost?

2) How much did it knock your energy bill down by each month?

thank you!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    It cost just shy of £41 mill to balance the grid yesterday. That is obscene.
    When the sun ain't shining and the wind ain't blowing this country is screwed.

Green Revolution my arse!
  • Options

Can you explain what that means. I don’t really understand. 
  • Options
    I think energy prices are going to run and run this year.

Apart from the nutters on the M25 , (or not as the case may be) has anyone on here specifically had loft insulation fitted?

1) How much did it cost?

2) How much did it knock your energy bill down by each month?

thank you!
    I had loft insulation and boarding fitted in my mums 4 bedroom house last year at a cost of £3,800. Not sure the effect it has had on the bills yet, but not expecting a huge drop to be honest. It is all about making small differences. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022

In short, when the electricity grid planned generation is not met( one example is wind not blowing as predicted to spin wind turbines) and demand increases the grid has to go cap in hand to extra generation producers to meet the national demand, but as we saw yesterday that can be pricey.
    Oh and one big winner from yesterday when the demand and thus prices were high was Drax, the owner of a coal fired station that had to be started to help the cause!
  • Options

In short, when the electricity grid planned generation is not met( one example is wind not blowing as predicted to spin wind turbines) and demand increases the grid has to go cap in hand to extra generation producers to meet the national demand, but as we saw yesterday that can be pricey.
    Oh and one big winner from yesterday when the demand and thus prices were high was Drax, the owner of a coal fired station that had to be started to help the cause!
    Drax no longer burn coal, been converted to biomass.  There are only 3 coal burning power stations,  one at West Burton is being decommissioned this year..    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OFGEM have just hiked the price cap up by a staggering 54%...
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Having moved to a large house with a G rated boiler (which is being replaced in a few weeks), my monthly gas usage is just shy of £300!!! And we don't even have a gas oven to burn the food with......
  • Options
    Frightening. As simple as that.

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Prices for finite resources inevitably rise. Perhaps this sharp shock may have a glimmer of an upside. It may jolt people into a better way of thinking regarding their energy usage, leading to less waste and a more environmentally aware population.

We aren't helped by the disgraceful lack of action by the current (and previous, to a lesser extent) government who, when they came to power, didn't establish in law a requirement for all new homes to be solar equipped and wherever possible, ground heat source systems installed.  Better solar orientation, insulation, triple glazing wouldn't be difficult or too expensive to add and should all be legal requirements before any new houses are built.
    And while that happens, lots of vulnerable old people will die of the cold because they can't afford to heat their houses.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The energy increases are going to hit everyone but for those that stay at home it’s going to be a nightmare. I’m not just talking about those working from home. The sick,  disabled and pensioners are going to be acutely impacted. You can add to those families with under school age children. Just as with pensions the OAP’s are never happy to get caned and will let the government know at the ballot box. A big proportion of the Conservatives vote base is in the over 60’s. I doubt any person who is disabled or on sickness benefits would entertain the notion of voting Tory. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Prices for finite resources inevitably rise. Perhaps this sharp shock may have a glimmer of an upside. It may jolt people into a better way of thinking regarding their energy usage, leading to less waste and a more environmentally aware population.

We aren't helped by the disgraceful lack of action by the current (and previous, to a lesser extent) government who, when they came to power, didn't establish in law a requirement for all new homes to be solar equipped and wherever possible, ground heat source systems installed.  Better solar orientation, insulation, triple glazing wouldn't be difficult or too expensive to add and should all be legal requirements before any new houses are built.
    Long term policies - maybe. But short term it will inevitably lead to people literally freezing to death and being plunged well into poverty. 

We need more nuclear power plants and more renewable plants to make the country much more self sufficient and less reliant on the global market, but both take decades to build up.

Add to this the rise of inflation, interest rates and national insurance rise and wages have been flatlining for the last 15-20 years is a perfect storm of shit. 
  • Options
    The energy increases are going to hit everyone but for those that stay at home it’s going to be a nightmare. I’m not just talking about those working from home. The sick,  disabled and pensioners are going to be acutely impacted. You can add to those families with under school age children. Just as with pensions the OAP’s are never happy to get caned and will let the government know at the ballot box. A big proportion of the Conservatives vote base is in the over 60’s. I doubt any person who is disabled or on sickness benefits would entertain the notion of voting Tory. 
    It's a real concern. Although I'd rather not be paying £300 a month it's not going to effect me heating my home, eating etc. But I can imagine for many it's going to cause real major financial issues.

I don't understand why they don't lose the VAT for starters, and although not means tested so would mean the little old lady down the road as well as Alan Sugar gets it but increase the winter fuel allowance.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    MrWalker said:

And while that happens, lots of vulnerable old people will die of the cold because they can't afford to heat their houses.
    I think you've mis-read my post. 
    I'm saying it should have been law a decade or more ago.
    It would have led to a reduced reliance on imported fuels, warmer houses and lower bills.

If it was, we would have far less of a shock to the system that's being felt now, most of all for the elderly and poor (notwithstanding the grants being made available https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-help-paying-your-bills/grants-and-benefits-to-help-you-pay-your-energy-bills/)

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You might be able to get £140 off your electricity bill or a £140 voucher for your prepayment meter. You can get this under the Warm Home Discount Scheme if you’re either:

• getting the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit
    • on a low income

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter.

You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 26 September 1955.

Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.

You’ll only be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you already get:

• Pension Credit
      • Income Support
      • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
      • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
      • Universal Credit

Grants to help pay off your energy debts

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Most people I know were Anti Corbyn with his plans to renationalise the utilities, was never a fan of him myself but it would certainly have made managing this crisis a lot easier. The government's suggestion of giving energy companies money to reduce bills has the same ring of the eight and a half billion invested in PPE, now written off. 
    i don't think that's why people were anti corbyn. People were anti corbyn because he was/is a crank. Some of the policies were quite good, but, much like the current government, there's only so long you can put lipstick on a pig.
  • Options
    Is it staggering? Haven’t they been warning us that for months?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Is it staggering? Haven’t they been warning us that for months?
    Doesn't make it any less staggering don't matter how much "warning" we have had... :(
  • Options
    I was expecting a 40% hike.
  • Options
    The government are doing well out of this,5% vat will now be charged on the new higher tariffs,so they could get around 50% more in vat payments.Please anyone correct me if this is wrong.
  • Options
    I’m no expert on this but have just been listening to LBC where some interesting and unknown to me facts were given and ideas floated. Please forgive any small errors I might make because as I say this was on the radio. Apparently the U.K. still imports 4 millions tons of coal. We are sitting on enough coal to provide all energy needs for the U.K. for 50 years in coal reserves. Germany are still building coal fired power stations using carbon capture technology which is 20% more expensive than just burning the stuff. There is enough shale gas in the U.K. to provide all energy needs for 47 years. The idea floated was that the U.K. should whilst it ramps up renewable energy sources fall back in a limited and targeted way on our natural reserves. That’s not trying to open hundreds of coal mines or Fracking sites but to in the short term only utilise what we have. My instinct is to think no but I do think that we might need to investigate these limited options to see if it’s viable and the correct thing to do ? I’m sure some of you will be much better placed than I to offer an opinion  and correct my post.
  • Options
    The government are doing well out of this,5% vat will now be charged on the new higher tariffs,so they could get around 50% more in vat payments.Please anyone correct me if this is wrong.
    But then they are paying £200 of this back to each customer? So not doing so well?
  • Options
    But then they are paying £200 of this back to each customer? So not doing so well?
    Then you pay it back to the government over five years. It’s not a grant but a loan.