Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    The government are doing well out of this,5% vat will now be charged on the new higher tariffs,so they could get around 50% more in vat payments.Please anyone correct me if this is wrong.
    5% VAT on domestic fuel and power, but 20% on non-domestic.

So the Treasury coffers will be raking in even more on the bills paid by businesses that can't recover all of the VAT they incur - banking, insurance, financial services, charities, funeral directors, some educational institutions, trade unions, political parties, to name a few!
  • Options
    The government are doing well out of this,5% vat will now be charged on the new higher tariffs,so they could get around 50% more in vat payments.Please anyone correct me if this is wrong.
    But then they are paying £200 of this back to each customer? So not doing so well?
    Which we pay back,so if rates dont go down,we are doubly bollocksed next year.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    But then they are paying £200 of this back to each customer? So not doing so well?
    Which we pay back,so if rates dont go down,we are doubly bollocksed next year.
    Exactly my thought the moment it was announced. Another totally shit idea from the totally shit idea factory.
  • Options
    The French know how to get there government to produce for the people if there politicians shit on them they riot and get action from there government. We got public school knob heads arguing about if they had parties or work meetings and not giving a shit  about the people. They could cut the vat on energy and petrol by half and still get the same money coming in because the prices have gone up so much. 
    I support a riot. Get Nigel Farage in. Them Nigel’s know how to run the show 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    5% VAT on domestic fuel and power, but 20% on non-domestic.

So the Treasury coffers will be raking in even more on the bills paid by businesses that can't recover all of the VAT they incur - banking, insurance, financial services, charities, funeral directors, some educational institutions, trade unions, political parties, to name a few!
    Mr. Treasury's coffers will certainly be full. He will be able to waste money on even bigger mansions and have servants do his cleaning.

It's a pity VAT doesn't go to the government so it can be spent on things like hospitals and transport infrastructure.
  • Options
    The French know how to get there government to produce for the people if there politicians shit on them they riot and get action from there government. We got public school knob heads arguing about if they had parties or work meetings and not giving a shit  about the people. They could cut the vat on energy and petrol by half and still get the same money coming in because the prices have gone up so much. 
    I support a riot. Get Nigel Farage in. Them Nigel’s know how to run the show 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Just had to up my monthly payment by £110 a month to £350 a month
    £350 a month?
    Yes, my bill for the last 2 months was £521 & £493, never get an aga!!
    £521 that's a mortgage.
    In Crewe?
    Ok a slight exaggeration.
    If you were to add other Bill's on top 
    Council tax , water , internet that would be a mortgage.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    Blimey where do you live MIA.
    Just worked out my 3 month bill.
    3 bed semi detached out in the country, wife at home all day pretending to be working with 3 screens on.
    £300 for the 3 months.
  • Options
    I'm just glad we avoided chaos with Ed Milliband.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ed Miliband controls the global energy market ? 

He much he getting rich(er) every day then. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Ed Miliband controls the global energy market ? 

He much he getting rich(er) every day then. 
    Multi millionaires, even those that inherit fortunes from their Marxist fathers, tend to get richer every day. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Some of the figures being bandied about on here are eye watering. We’re one of the richest nations on earth and people are actually having to decide to eat or stay warm. Something has gone horribly wrong somewhere. 
    We elected the wrong politicians. France 4% cap, Germany 5%. France are forcing EDF to subsidise energy out of their enormous profits, whereas in the UK I believe Shell have announced a 14 fold increase in profits... 

We must stop electing public school boys - how can they possibly understand having to choose between eating and heating. Sunak's wife is richer than the Queen for gawds sake!
    And today BP announced their highest profits for 8 years, $12.8billion….
    Shell reported profits of $19bn last week. 

Disgusting. 
    This might be a bit Seth but even I think a windfall tax is required 
    Imagine a world where windfall tax existed and the NI rise wasn’t needed….
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Some of the figures being bandied about on here are eye watering. We’re one of the richest nations on earth and people are actually having to decide to eat or stay warm. Something has gone horribly wrong somewhere. 
    We elected the wrong politicians. France 4% cap, Germany 5%. France are forcing EDF to subsidise energy out of their enormous profits, whereas in the UK I believe Shell have announced a 14 fold increase in profits... 

We must stop electing public school boys - how can they possibly understand having to choose between eating and heating. Sunak's wife is richer than the Queen for gawds sake!

Disgusting. 
    It is if they don't pay tax on it. Otherwise it drives an enormous contribution to the finances of the UK and other countries in which they operate.
    Profits are not inherently evil. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    Am in the same boat MIA.  Did the sums last week and our annual bill would more than double to over £8,000 when our fixed-rate expires this year (half of which is our old-style 13-amp AGA).  Told the Mrs, I'm turning the bloody thing off or selling the children! :o/
  • Options
    Davey said:
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    Am in the same boat MIA.  Did the sums last week and our annual bill would more than double to over £8,000 when our fixed-rate expires this year (half of which is our old-style 13-amp AGA).  Told the Mrs, I'm turning the bloody thing off or selling the children! :o/
    Are AGA's that juicy? As stated above I have a 32amp hot tub that is hard wired (not a 3 pin plug) and is on 24/7 for heating/temperature purposes. We use it at least once a week where the pumps and lights are added to the consumption yet my bills are nowhere near what's being quoted on here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Switched from Shell to Octopus...been a decent decision so far.
  • Options
    Davey said:
    clb74 said:
    £350 a month?
    Are AGA's that juicy? As stated above I have a 32amp hot tub that is hard wired (not a 3 pin plug) and is on 24/7 for heating/temperature purposes. We use it at least once a week where the pumps and lights are added to the consumption yet my bills are nowhere near what's being quoted on here. 
    Might get myself a hot tub, and turn the Aga off! :smiley:
  • Options
    Switched from Shell to Octopus...been a decent decision so far.
    Octopus have been great for me. Their referral system is a godsend too, I think i've signed 6 people up which a free £300 for me and £50 for each of the people i've referred
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saga Lout said:

Disgusting. 
    It is if they don't pay tax on it. Otherwise it drives an enormous contribution to the finances of the UK and other countries in which they operate.
    And the shareholders of these companies who benefit from these profits are mostly... pension funds!

As Supertramp once said.

Who are these men of lust greed and glory?
    blah blah blah
    Look there's you and there's me!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saga Lout said:

Disgusting. 
    And the shareholders of these companies who benefit from these profits are mostly... pension funds!

As Supertramp once said.

Who are these men of lust greed and glory?
    blah blah blah
    Look there's you and there's me!
    I don't believe this is the case any longer. 

"Analysis of official statistics shows that the proportion of UK shares directly held by UK pension funds fell from almost one in three in 1990 to less than one in 25 by 2018 – a decline of over 90 per cent. Most UK shares are now held by overseas investors. The proportion of UK shares owned by overseas investors rose from 12 per cent in 1990 to 55 per cent in 2018.

In addition to direct share ownership, some pension funds will own shares indirectly through pooled funds controlled by insurance companies and asset managers. Examining the data on this, we conclude that in total UK pension funds own directly or indirectly under six per cent of UK shares..."

https://www.tuc.org.uk/research-analysis/reports/do-dividends-pay-our-pensions
  • Options
    Happy to be corrected on this!

The report is understandably a little biased but I fully agree that public companies should be legally obliged to consider their employees and customers more and their shareholders less. 
  • Options
    Right now I'm trying to get to the bottom of why - just when we switched providers - our annual electricity consumption apparently rose in 2021 by 29%. There is no obvious reason for it, (e.g the central heating is gas fired). I have cranked up my British made Owl consumption reader (don't know if anyone has one, y'all got smart meters instead, I suppose). It does still seem to work fine but so far an obvious juice guzzler has not been identified.

However funny enough a couple of years ago in the office we had a similar problem with our bills and we eventually traced the culprit to the small standalone fridge. My question then is, how to see the impact of the fridge (and freezers) on the Owl reading? It looks like the fridge only sucks juice for a relatively small period at a time, rather than continuously. Does anyone have an idea how many kilowatts a medium sized fridge would register on an Owl if it is working normally? With this one, it looks like an extra 0.09Kw is added on the meter when I can hear the fridge motor running. It does not seem like a lot, but I have no clue, and on the web I have not found anything like a table which shows how much juice various appliances use. All I have learnt is general stuff, such as the 'wet' machines are the most energy consuming (washing machine, dishwasher in our case, and we just bought a new AEG washing machine during 2021 which ought to be consuming a lot less juice than the 24 year old Bosch washer/dryer it replaced).

Any advice or suggested clues would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    Right now I'm trying to get to the bottom of why - just when we switched providers - our annual electricity consumption apparently rose in 2021 by 29%. There is no obvious reason for it, (e.g the central heating is gas fired). I have cranked up my British made Owl consumption reader (don't know if anyone has one, y'all got smart meters instead, I suppose). It does still seem to work fine but so far an obvious juice guzzler has not been identified.

However funny enough a couple of years ago in the office we had a similar problem with our bills and we eventually traced the culprit to the small standalone fridge. My question then is, how to see the impact of the fridge (and freezers) on the Owl reading? It looks like the fridge only sucks juice for a relatively small period at a time, rather than continuously. Does anyone have an idea how many kilowatts a medium sized fridge would register on an Owl if it is working normally? With this one, it looks like an extra 0.09Kw is added on the meter when I can hear the fridge motor running. It does not seem like a lot, but I have no clue, and on the web I have not found anything like a table which shows how much juice various appliances use. All I have learnt is general stuff, such as the 'wet' machines are the most energy consuming (washing machine, dishwasher in our case, and we just bought a new AEG washing machine during 2021 which ought to be consuming a lot less juice than the 24 year old Bosch washer/dryer it replaced).

Check the wife’s bedroom drawer, could be a power guzzler in there, your unaware of…… 
  • Options

Check the wife’s bedroom drawer, could be a power guzzler in there, your unaware of…… 
    Electric razor ? :-)