Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Martin Lewis on five live today the only thing you should be doing at the moment is “doing nothing”.

No switching, no fixed term deals etc.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Martin Lewis on five live today the only thing you should be doing at the moment is “doing nothing”.

No switching, no fixed term deals etc.
    What about those of us that are pushed to new providers? Utility point got eaten up by EDF for example.
  • Options
    Not certain but I’m pretty sure he said stay on the variable rate as it’s likely to be cheaper than any “deals”
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I was with Eon  with a fixed deal which ends this November, i had to chase them to get a quote for a 2 year deal, which went up from £54 to £113 per month which was bad enough, while i checked a few suppliers such a Octopus, i decide to get back for the "deal"...which had jumped to £164 per month in a week >:)...no one is recommending switch now.
    I have now taken the Flex account with Eon, at £88 per month, even if the price cap rises next April, i will still be saving £500 in the interim, i will see how things go next year, absolute shithole of a situation, everyone is over a barrel with energy companies at the moment. 
  • Options
    Looks like my energy supplier is the latest to go bust, pure planet - no more green energy for me then.......
  • Options
    This mess is a salutary reminder that the free market isn’t always the best option. Practically anyone could set up to supply energy and the suppliers that undercut the big players didn’t have the financial clout to cope with the huge increases in wholesale costs. Their tariffs were selling the gas to customers cheaper than the supplier could buy it. Energy isn’t an optional extra. We all must have it. To me at least it’s a classic case of where state control and ownership is essential. How also have we arrived at a situation where the continent of Europe is so reliant on Russia and its megalomaniac ruler. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Text message from British gas this morning  about installing a smart meter with dates.
    Email tonight  final reminder you've not yet booked your smart reader if you fail to do so we may change your tariff rate.
    I would fight that to the bitter end. Smart meters are not compulsory and do sweet FA in helping reduce your bills unless you are prepared to watch it all day and rush round switching things off.
    I WAS with eon and had the same problem, i.e. constant emails and letters re installing a smart meter. I ignored them and then started a regular demand for monthly meter readings and the 'threat' that if I didn't send readings, I would get (presumably) inflated 'estimated reading bills'. Anyway, I have now switched and following a telephone call to edf, I'm assured there will be no demand to install a smart meter, we will see. The new deal is a set rate for 3 years 
    All good but I don’t see a problem with monthly meter readings. I am with Octopus and they email me on the 25th of each month asking for meter readings, I nip out and read them both, log on and add them to my account.

Job done, no estimates, and I am in complete control.
    agreed, BUT it was the rude way eon went about it .. and Octopus .. when I did comparisons before moving from eon, Octopus was one of the more expensive suppliers
    It isn't now. I cannot better my Octopus deal. 
    but the deal or the estimate you get de[ends on circumstances, the size and location of your property, the number of occupants and your usage .. so Octopus might be the one for you, it was not the one for me
  • Options
    Got moved to British Gas Evolve back in April as my old company went under.

Fixed price until 15th April with Electricity @17.67p/kwh plus 24.05p a day standing charge and Gas @3.09/kwh plus 26.07p standing charge.

Think I maybe overestimating my energy consumption over the next six months and ensure I've prepaid a few units at those rates.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Got moved to British Gas Evolve back in April as my old company went under.

Fixed price until 15th April with Electricity @17.67p/kwh plus 24.05p a day standing charge and Gas @3.09/kwh plus 26.07p standing charge.

Think I maybe overestimating my energy consumption over the next six months and ensure I've prepaid a few units at those rates.
    Being able to make money by deliberately fiddling your meter readings upwards is just another reason why the whole bloody thing is ridiculous! I wonder if it is illegal!

It reminds me of when motorway service stations used to sell multiple brands of petrol from different pumps at different prices. You picked your favourite and paid at the check-out according to which brand you chose. 

This idea was abandoned when people found out that all the pumps were actually connected to the same tank and everybody got the same stuff whatever they paid!
  • Options
    How can pre paying for something be illegal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This isnt likely to be going away anytime soon and imo will only get worse. It is a failure of successive governments not only here but the rest of Europe that we have allowed ourselves to be at the behest of Putin in terms of gas supplies. Even now our present government are about to place an order for a switch connection for electricity that will be sent from europe to our shores. Guess who will own the technology that turns the supply on and off ? Yup you guessed it a Russian company. It is mental.
    We need to bite the bullet and start building a mix of renewable & nuclear generation plants otherwise the lights will be going out at the whim of whoever is running Russia at the time.

The trouble with our society is we want everything to be as cheap as possible be it energy, clothes, food etc and dont care where it comes from or who is behind it. If we dont start to invest in building our own infrastructure and supply chains we will be in serious shit in years to come
  • Options
    Got my electricity with them.
  • Options
    At least credit balances should be safe once they enter administration, got £500 with them. 
  • Options
    Having to hold off switching to an EV tariff at the moment, because I don't want to be moved to an expensive daytime fee. 

Luckily the car comes with free public charging, so I can hold off for a while more 
  • Options
    Which company is next to go?
  • Options
    If any of the companies bigger than Bulb go then we will be in a real crisis.
  • Options
    I'm with bulb, oh well let's see what happens next. Not worried but have a decent credit with them
  • Options

Bulb Energy, which has 1.7 million customers, has announced that the firm will be put into administration.

It is the largest UK energy company to face difficulties following a sharp rise in wholesale gas prices this year.

Bulb will become the first energy company to be placed into "special administration", where it is run by the government through the regulator Ofgem.

This measure is only used if Ofgem is unable to find another company to take over an energy firm's customers.

Customers have been advised not to take any action and they will be contacted when any steps are needed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59373198

• Options
    AndyG said:
    This isnt likely to be going away anytime soon and imo will only get worse. It is a failure of successive governments not only here but the rest of Europe that we have allowed ourselves to be at the behest of Putin in terms of gas supplies. Even now our present government are about to place an order for a switch connection for electricity that will be sent from europe to our shores. Guess who will own the technology that turns the supply on and off ? Yup you guessed it a Russian company. It is mental.
    We need to bite the bullet and start building a mix of renewable & nuclear generation plants otherwise the lights will be going out at the whim of whoever is running Russia at the time.

The trouble with our society is we want everything to be as cheap as possible be it energy, clothes, food etc and dont care where it comes from or who is behind it. If we dont start to invest in building our own infrastructure and supply chains we will be in serious shit in years to come
    Europe is pretty dependent on Russian gas, but it supplies less than 5% of our guess. It doesn't really matter though - if Putin cuts off gas to Europe the price will go up here as well. 

You're a bit off base about the interconnector (assuming you are talking about Aquind). It doesn't even have planning permission yet and teh Government aren't investing in it at all. IAquind is a UK company albeit owned by a UK based Russian (who is alleged to be pretty dodgy). Interconnectors are generally good. They allow more use of renewables bu getting electricity from places like France and Norway when supply outstrips demand and equally supplying it to them when it's the other way round. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If any of the companies bigger than Bulb go then we will be in a real crisis.
    The Government will have to support them via the Special Administration process. Bulb won’t be the last until wholesale energy prices reduce substantially. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Is that a pig I see flying?
  • Options
    Petrol prices maybe but the gas prices still higher than what they are allowed to charge us due to the price cap 
  • Options
    Anyone else not yet been advised which company will be taking over their supply?

I'm was with Green and continue to pay via DD to them. And they went under at the end of September!

£26 per month for both fuels, while I wait though, which is relatively nice.
  • Options
    Anyone else not yet been advised which company will be taking over their supply?

I'm was with Green and continue to pay via DD to them. And they went under at the end of September!

£26 per month for both fuels, while I wait though, which is relatively nice.
    I was with Green, Shell energy have taken over my account, got an email yesterday from Green saying my final statement is ready for me to download.
  • Options
    Is the advice still to stick with what you're on? Our bills went from £90pm to £160pm and imagine they'll go up more over the winter months.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Brent Crude price down by 12.67% yesterday.
    Natural Gas price down by 4.82% yesterday.

Looking forward to the subsequent speedy reductions in the retail prices.

The Tesco near me has no supermarket competition and charges 151.9p/l for unleaded. 6p/l more than even a local Esso garage.  Maybe you have to be a Clubcard member to get it at a fair price!
  • Options
    Is the advice still to stick with what you're on? Our bills went from £90pm to £160pm and imagine they'll go up more over the winter months.
    Yes the advice is do not move. You will be out on the maximum allowed by the price cap so if you are on any tariff that is not the maxi u
     you will lose out 
  • Options
    Ours was the same. Problem I had was they estimated usage on a smart meter! I checked and the actual meter reading was well below the estimate. I submitted a meter reading, even though the website put multiple barriers in my way. They issued a new bill and of course the new monthly charge had gone up even more to £180.
    Instead of reissuing a corrected bill calculated over 11 months. They issued a new one calculated over 8 months.
    This is with SSE but they are all as bad as each other.