Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IN-DEPTH | Summer transfer window 2021

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    razil said:
    People who don’t admit when things didn’t go quite to plan worry me,

it’s pretty much back to pre Duchatelet hands off (when the club was in limbo), hardly a revelation 

they even talking about selling players - hardly learning from the past, again better than Duchatelet limbo I suppose when players went for nothing

so far a long way from equalling the spivs first window
    The spivs first window (they didn't have windows then, but never mind) was a once in a life time deal.  No one has done it since.  Scratch teams don't get 100+ points.  Expecting it to ever happen again and comparing it to everything else will only make you misarable.

It's like being pissed off that your wife of 30 years doesn't look like the Swedish exchange student you slept with at university.

If you think Charlton won't ever sell a player again your in lala land.  Even Man United sold Ronaldo the first time round.

I'll ask you again because you didn't answer on another thread.  Without using word soup and clichés what we're you expecting and what would you deam exceptable? 
  • Options
    It’s an interesting and informative article. But it wasn’t all smooth sailing. There is no doubt that we missed out on some targets and that Thomas had to up the fee/wage budget to enable that late recovery towards the end of the transfer window. But that’s ok. No-one gets all their targets (witness Man City: Harry Kane) and it’s a positive that TS responded when needed. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Surely you can see that every club has to sell their best players eventually…
    If we sell Jacob Roddy, I’m quitting football.
    Maybe we can set up a manager of PSG and sell him to them for £200m with £100m of future payments spread across the next two years. Easy enough to do on Football Manager. :-)
  • Options
    razil said:
    So at least one or two actually respected my right to an opinion, and at least most can show enough respect to stick to etiquette

I’m not convinced is all

we have an average squad and that’s only after the failed strategy had to be rescued with sticking plasters, and I can’t see it doing much this year, all that will need to happen is more changes next summer - sorry but I can’t believe that was the plan with the amount of money you lose in League 1, and I’m not a fan of bs.
    Can’t ague with the last paragraph, that’s how I see it.
  • Options
    razil said:
    So at least one or two actually respected my right to an opinion, and at least most can show enough respect to stick to etiquette

I’m not convinced is all

we have an average squad and that’s only after the failed strategy had to be rescued with sticking plasters, and I can’t see it doing much this year, all that will need to happen is more changes next summer - sorry but I can’t believe that was the plan with the amount of money you lose in League 1, and I’m not a fan of bs.
    Wasn't it Cawley who said that the late signings were in response to the poor start/performances of the season ? Great that Sandgaard sanctioned the signings to avoid a possible mid to low table season but it's a bit of a worry that it appears that the Recruitment/management team had been happy with the squad that they had assembled until we were being shown up in the competitive games.

Was Roddy a "Black Box" signing ? We seem to be quite keen to re sign ex players maybe we should have consulted ex Coach/Manager Les Reed who first (I believe) introduced the Black Box system at Southampton about 6 years ago.

While we may have spent "more than £1 million this summer on transfer fees" bear in mind we have signed 13 new players & wasn't Kirks release clause 500K ? 

I appreciate that we're talking about somebody else's money but I find it strange that Sandgaard didn't push the boat out a bit more in his first "proper transfer window" to bring in better quality players to give us more chance of promotion when it's estimated that we will lose £10 Million a year every year just to stand still in this division.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:
    Scoham said:
    razil said:
    So no loans, short contracts, free transfers… ok right. That might have been the intention but it certainly wasn’t the outcome, maybe address that?
    Where did they claim we wouldn't use loans, short contracts and sign free agents?
    The strategy is not to (loans count as short contracts for a year or less)

‘In the recent past, with the previous ownerships, the strategy has been focused on free agents and/or players on a one year contract. That existence has been hand to mouth. It is one which wasn’t sustainable. ‘
    We’ve moved away from almost every signing be a free agent or loan (Purrington and Bonne for small fees we’re rare exceptions). Every club at every level will sign a free agent if the right player becomes available. At our level that applies to loans too. To ignore them wouldn’t make sense, regardless of your budget and ambition.

razil said:
    People who don’t admit when things didn’t go quite to plan worry me,

it’s pretty much back to pre Duchatelet hands off (when the club was in limbo), hardly a revelation 

they even talking about selling players - hardly learning from the past, again better than Duchatelet limbo I suppose when players went for nothing

so far a long way from equalling the spivs first window
    I think most agree the window didn’t go to plan but it’s also clear the club recognised that. I was concerned we’d stubbornly stick with Dobson and Clare but instead we’ve improved the midfield with Arter and Lee.

The club aren’t in limbo and we’re paying £4-500k for some of our signings, that’s nothing like RDs last few years.

Had they not mentioned selling players I imagine you’d call that spin. It can’t be denied when they’ve sold Bonne, Doughty and Phillips.

The last point explains your view, you don’t rate the squad. To be honest I’m partly expecting it to take next season to get promoted, but I do think your underestimating this squad. We’ll at the very least give it a real good go and I don’t see how we’re weaker than last season. We went on a terrible run yet still did enough to nearly make the playoffs.
  • Options
    All sounds great.

It doesn't fit with the transfer window we've just seen imo though.
  • Options
    The window obviously didn't go to plan but the shortfalls arising from the opening games appear to have been addressed and that is positive. What counts is how the squad performs from now on in not what should have happened earlier. We have two players in every position excluding the youngsters, that is a far cry from the opening games. Overall the club is in a good position and the building blocks are gathering momentum although there are a few that expect overnight success in reality that isn't going to happen. We now have a team/squad with depth and although I think an automatic promotion spot might be out of reach this season I would be disappointed if we didn't finish or at !east seriously challenge for a play off spot.
    I for one am positive with the way things are developing at our club and I truly feel sorry for those who continue to be negative particularly when you consider what we have gone through this last decade.
  • Options

Thomas Sandgaard on the summer transfer window (September 2021)

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_x1a1skpt
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Thomas Sandgaard on the summer transfer window (September 2021)

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_x1a1skpt
    Excellent video, if only there wasn't really really really annoying muzak being played over TS.
    Why video TS's views for the fans and then make it hard to listen to what he says?
  • Options
    razil said:

If you don't want to be offended I suggest you state an opinion, not a fact, and justify it.   

The thrust of your post was not to argue in support of an opinion, it was to tell everyone that people worry you who don't agree with what you choose to regard as fact.