Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England women

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    England v Brazil was the classics game of two Halves: 81% possession for England 1st half and a tight off side stopped the Lionesses having a deserved 2-0 lead at HT.
    The 5-3-2 just didn't work for Brazil so they changed to a 4-4-2 with lots of individual skill on the ball.
    I remember being at the Euro Quarter Final against Spain and some how England can win games even when they are on the ropes.
    Surprised Sarah Weigman waited so long to make changes 2nd half But maybe she wanted to see our England cope under pressure ? 

England's goal was a superb team goal and with no Beth Mead and the retired Ellen White, it's good to see Hemp, Kelly, James, Russo and Daley in good form plus the Attacking skills of Toone.
    Walsh is a great passer of the ball and is vital for England. 

Australia didn't play that well against Scotland at Wimbledon yesterday but no doubt Kerr will play against England on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Scotland doing their bit to make sure England/Team GB qualify for the Olympics. 5-0 now.
  • Options
    It is a bit bizarre in that the only way a Scotland player has a chance to go to the Olympics (for Team GB) is to ensure they lose heavily to England tonight.
  • Options
    I think that GB nominate a team, and it's England, so Scotland have nothing to play for except ruining England's chances... Which is motivation enough for them I'm sure. They'd happily lose 6-1 if that 1 meant England didn't qualify 

Netherlands are 2-0 up so England still need a couple more to be safe.
  • Options
    I’m not allowed to say it anymore but Ellen White is cute as fudge in her bobble hat
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    McBobbin said:
    I think that GB nominate a team, and it's England, so Scotland have nothing to play for except ruining England's chances... Which is motivation enough for them I'm sure. They'd happily lose 6-1 if that 1 meant England didn't qualify 

Netherlands are 2-0 up so England still need a couple more to be safe.
    GB do nominate a team which is England, but with England winning it means they qualify for the Olympics however because we don't compete in the Olympics as England, it means GB send a team, of which some Scotland players might be a part of.

England of course can still qualify for the Nations league finals but as it stands a Dutch goal will knock them out.
  • Options
    Ah thanks, didn't realise the GB team would be mixed
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Realistically it would be token representation for the Scotland players though, with the quality in depth England has.
  • Options
    Charltonish defending by England there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Realistically it would be token representation for the Scotland players though, with the quality in depth England has.
    Yeah it'll probably be 20 England players and then 1 player each from the other 3 nations.
  • Options
    Holland score in the 91st minute to go 3-0 up and qualify for the Nations league finals.

But then England go and make it 6-0 with the last kick of their game to qualify instead.

But then Holland go and make it 4-0 with the last kick of their match and it's them that qualify.
  • Options
    Fuck Belgium 
  • Options
    Gutted for those girls 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I thought they took their foot off the gas in the second half.
  • Options
    Heartbreak for England (and GB). That last gasp Dutch goal means England don't make the finals and GB will not be at the Olympics.

Netherlands, France, Germany and Spain qualify for the Nations League finals. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Yeah it'll probably be 20 England players and then 1 player each from the other 3 nations.
    Cynically if England had promised Scotland say 5 players, they might have been less resolute in the second half...
  • Options
    Gutted.
  • Options
    Holland score in the 91st minute to go 3-0 up and qualify for the Nations league finals.

But then England go and make it 6-0 with the last kick of their game to qualify instead.

But then Holland go and make it 4-0 with the last kick of their match and it's them that qualify.
    Really gutting that.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Poor performances earlier in the group 

Lost 3-2 away at Belgium and they had 4 shots to our 17.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutted.
    But our own fault and they know it.
  • Options
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - women’s game desperately need to play on smaller pitches and with smaller goals. 
    Last time I heard that, the speaker got trampled by his dinosaur. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Bronze looking more than usual like Terry with a ponytail. 
  • Options
    The Olympics is a hard tournament to qualify for. There were only two slots available for Europe other than France and in the end if we couldn't at least get a draw from the trip to Belgium then we weren't good enough. Netherlands may find it tough to qualify even now - they have to outperform at least one of Germany or Spain to dislodge one of the two favourites.
  • Options
    Just reread the qualifying routes & it’s hard enough alright. 
    You’re clinging on hoping that France win the Nations League which would free up another place if you don’t get into the final.
  • Options
    Olympic football is crap anyway. The women’s World Cup and Euros are massive now. Nobody remembers Olympic football winners.
  • Options
    Olympic football is crap anyway. The women’s World Cup and Euros are massive now. Nobody remembers Olympic football winners.
    Full competition in the women’s game, and has always been seen as important by the USA, Spanish and Japanese 
  • Options
    I thought going in 4 nil at half time they should have set themselves a target of at least 7. There were times in the second half we they seemed content to sit on what they had, probably because they were reacting to the score in the other game but two late goals in that game was always possible. It might not have worked but whilst it is hard to criticise when you win 6 nil, I really felt there were more goals in it for them.
  • Options
    Strange that in the Olympics, women's football has 12 teams, while the men's football has 16 teams. Especially as the men's is an U23 tournament only.
  • Options
    That's probably a fair comment for the men, but not for the women where it's a full competition and really second only to the world cup as a ting to win. And it has fewer mismatches, as there are only 12 teams in it.

Ironically, Team GB would have qualified for the men's competition due to England winning the under-21 Euros this year. But Scotland and Wales won't agree to a joint entry in the men's competition, so we're ineligible unless we're the hosts. What would have been our place was allocated to whichever of Israel and Ukraine would have missed out if they'd been forced into a playoff.