Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney writes on a chief executive's role in player recruitment

2»

Comments

• Options
    Need to remember that Peter is also a Charlton fan. 
    I still can’t get my head round how a lifelong Charlton fan (which he undoubtedly is) would want to be the Executive Vice Chairman of our most closest rivals Community Scheme. 
    me neither but i'm gettinga  deja vu here - would be one of the last jobs on earth i'd take 
  • Options
    The second result I look for is Millwall in the sincere hope they lose. Would I work for their community trust ? Absolutely. I’m sure they do a lot of very worthwhile work. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I still can’t get my head round how a lifelong Charlton fan (which he undoubtedly is) would want to be the Executive Vice Chairman of our most closest rivals Community Scheme. 
    it's a job doing valuable work in the community in SE London; the same SE London that many of us live in. It's not as if CACT and the Millwall trust are great rivals (indeed, to some extent CACT functions as an arm of Greenwich Council now, picking up work it would have done itself in the days before big council cuts). 
  • Options
    Nice work. I really hope Thomas Sandgaard sees this and takes it as the friendly, constructive hint that it is.

If I had half a billion quid and found myself running Charlton, my first call would to be Peter Varney. If he didn't want to do the job, he'd surely know someone who could.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t do it personally but theIr community scheme is headed up by someone from our community scheme (having been left in disarray by someone employed at Charlton by the spivs) and their chief executive was previously ours. People do have working relationships that extend beyond club allegiance. He’s not working for the football club and it’s not a full-time job either. I think people overestimate the extent to which their community scheme and ours do stuff that is about the club too. 

We want Millwall to fail on the pitch but do we really want them to fail in the community? And if so on what basis?
    Also Peter Varney’s wife is a Millwall fan
  • Options
    I wouldn’t do it personally but theIr community scheme is headed up by someone from our community scheme (having been left in disarray by someone employed at Charlton by the spivs) and their chief executive was previously ours. People do have working relationships that extend beyond club allegiance. He’s not working for the football club and it’s not a full-time job either. I think people overestimate the extent to which their community scheme and ours do stuff that is about the club too. 

We want Millwall to fail on the pitch but do we really want them to fail in the community? And if so on what basis?
    I’m my opinion they’re intrinsically linked. An effective Community Trust goes to great effort to promote the host club, improve its community standing, develop potential commercial partnerships to the betterment of the club, increase database and junior reach through soccer schools and other community programmes, which then introduce an in to potential new fans. Look at the large numbers of comps dished out to our CT with the goal of growing the fanbase. 

Also acts as a potential foil when club dealing with bad press, difficult situations etc. Look at the amount our CT’s achievements were used as a foil during recent difficult ownership years. Though different boroughs, must also be some form of overlap for relationships, contracts etc in the local region (I can see they also work in Bromley, Kent etc as well as Lewisham & Southwark).

Anyway, just my opinion. As you say, you wouldn’t do it. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Uboat said:
    Hmmm. 
    Would that be a cynical 'Hmmm'?

A ... how timely 'Hmmm'?

A ... come and get me, Thomas 'Hmmm'?
    It a ‘I get the impression we are some way from the model Peter describes’ hmmm with a hint of ‘Interesting that he would be asked that now and give that answer’ hmmm. 
  • Options

And yet there are people on here who think the man has judgement. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:

And yet there are people on here who think the man has judgement. 
    Love is blind 😃
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree. It’s a community scheme. If he’s good at his job that can only be good for everyone.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I’m my opinion they’re intrinsically linked. An effective Community Trust goes to great effort to promote the host club, improve its community standing, develop potential commercial partnerships to the betterment of the club, increase database and junior reach through soccer schools and other community programmes, which then introduce an in to potential new fans. Look at the large numbers of comps dished out to our CT with the goal of growing the fanbase. 

Also acts as a potential foil when club dealing with bad press, difficult situations etc. Look at the amount our CT’s achievements were used as a foil during recent difficult ownership years. Though different boroughs, must also be some form of overlap for relationships, contracts etc in the local region (I can see they also work in Bromley, Kent etc as well as Lewisham & Southwark).

Anyway, just my opinion. As you say, you wouldn’t do it. 
    There was an article in Saturday’s programme by CACT’s staff member in Thanet. I know her well. She’s an Arsenal fan. I doubt if she’s ever heard of Thomas Sandgaard, never mind knows Nigel Adkins is manager or could name anyone in the first-team squad. 

I don’t disagree that the trusts have PR value to the clubs and they may impact on commercial deals at the margin, but these deals remain small of themselves. In my long experience of working with CACT they were not particularly useful in terms of helping build support, despite good relationships, because it’s not what they are there to do. They wants the comps to add value to their own offer, but most are never used.
  • Options
    The second result I look for is Millwall in the sincere hope they lose. Would I work for their community trust ? Absolutely. I’m sure they do a lot of very worthwhile work. 
    I know of people who help the Millwall Community. They’re very kind, always running stuff round their houses when they get a call on one of their phones.