Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premature Comestible Withdrawal

Comments

• Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Smith's original Crisps with packet of salt.

Nux Bar

A quarter of a Bovril beef drink as served at Charlton under the  Covered End.

Roast Chestnuts sold in Harvey Gardens in autumn after being  cooked on a hot brasier.

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Watneys, my old uncle used to say, “don’t take the piss out of watneys, it needs or the flavour it can get”. Probably a common joke in the 70’s. 
    Had to read that a couple of times and then realised changing 'or' for 'all' makes it quite funny...... and probably true
  • Options
    I used to like going to a garage and buying petrol…
    I get mine from the bin bags in my loft.
  • Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Roast Chestnuts sold in Harvey Gardens in autumn after being  cooked on a hot brasier.

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Watneys, my old uncle used to say, “don’t take the piss out of watneys, it needs or the flavour it can get”. Probably a common joke in the 70’s. 
    The joke of the time was "What's the connection between Watney's Red Barrel and making love in a punt?  They're both fucking close to water".

Similar to Red Barrel in the taste stakes was "Big head Trophy bitter, the pint that thinks it's a quart".
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Still missing the Brannigans Beef and Mustard crisps
    This! First childhood memories of the pub.
  • Options
    TAB, the colourless Coke. 
  • Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Both still available (Smiths now Walkers (Walkers bought Smiths in the 90's) and Watneys Party Seven relaunched a couple of years ago)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watneys-Party-Seven-Citrus-Biscuit/dp/B08N1B5ZCH

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/walkers-salt-shake-multipack-crisps-112863011?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbr6uea38wIVs2xvBB1AFgfdEAQYAiABEgJlWfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

The joke of the time was "What's the connection between Watney's Red Barrel and making love in a punt?  They're both fucking close to water".

Similar to Red Barrel in the taste stakes was "Big head Trophy bitter, the pint that thinks it's a quart".
    Frankly all draught beers in Britain were piss until the Campaign for Real Ale exerted it's influence in the 1970's.
    Watneys Red Barrel, Whitbread Trophy, Worthington 'E'.
    You name it, the standard was appalling.
  • Options
    Walkers ready salted chip-sticks

• Options
    4Real said:

I have a cup of hot Bovril most days - excellent source of salts and sugars
    Bovril has never been the same since BSE...
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I was surprised to find that you can no longer buy Shield soap, my armpits need this to get rid of my hideous funk. Over the years some of my favourite groceries have disappeared such as Start breakfast cereal and Vesta Chow Mein (fair enough it was horrible) has anyone else suffered from discontinuation of favoured requisites, or is it just a sign of my old age.
    oh no, when my wife kept saying Sainsbury's didn't have it I just thought it was sold out but you are right they have stopped making it, back in 2018 !! Not a happy bunny finding that out.
    What did you expect?
    Every start has a finish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Frankly all draught beers in Britain were piss until the Campaign for Real Ale exerted it's influence in the 1970's.
    Whitbread Tankard was a Spoonerism...
  • Options
    Marathon. They brought out the Snickers but it don't taste anything like it
  • Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Both still available (Smiths now Walkers (Walkers bought Smiths in the 90's) and Watneys Party Seven relaunched a couple of years ago)

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/walkers-salt-shake-multipack-crisps-112863011?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbr6uea38wIVs2xvBB1AFgfdEAQYAiABEgJlWfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    From memory the original Smiths crisps which included the blue salt bag predated the introduction of "Ready Salted" crisps.
    As I recall it was a little bag that was twisted closed, in other words not a perfect seal.
    Sometimes moisture got in and your salt would be caked in lumps.
    I guess Smiths phased them out when ready salted came in, but the beauty of the salt bag was you could choose how much salt to add, or none at all.
    When Walkers reintroduced them with their nostalgia marketing the salt was in perfectly sealed square blue packs, which I am sure was progress, but they bumped up the price and called them Salt & Shake.
    I like plain crisps occasionally and often discard the salt pack.
    Another thing with the old Smiths product was the frequency you found multiple salt bags in the packet!
  • Options
    Smiths Hamburger Flavour Crisps.
    Anybody remember them? I think it was one of their first flavoured crisp lines along with Cheese and Onion
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Marathon. They brought out the Snickers but it don't taste anything like it
    I thought they just changed the name in UK to match the name used in the rest of Europe.
    Didn't realise they changed the product.
  • Options
    Long Life beer 
  • Options
    Egg Flip
  • Options
    Amazin bars 
  • Options
    Start was my favourite cereal as well. RIP.

Phileas Fogg tortilla chips are sorely missed as well. Absolutely pissed all over Doritos and any other ones you can get now days that don't even taste like tortilla chips.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Spanish Gold - gorgeous stuff 
    Happily, still available
    https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/sweet-tobacco
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Spanish Gold - gorgeous stuff 
    Happily, still available
    https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/sweet-tobacco
    omg thank you !
  • Options
    I recall 70s Ritz cracker canapes with a tuna (I think it was Tuna) spread I really liked. I don't think you can get that any more.
  • Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Watney's Party Seven was dreadful.  It got you into a party though. 
    Then no bugger could open the can.
  • Options
    Smiths tomato crisps. Seemed really exotic back int he 70's for some reason. Made a nice change from the usual, Salt and Vinegar, Cheese and Onion and plain crisps of the day.
  • Options
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

I think you mean keg rather than draught.  There was lots of good draught in the 1970s - Youngs, Fullers, Everards, Home Ales, Marstons, Eldridge Pope down on the south coast., and many, many more.  Camra helped to stop the rot but the good stuff was still out there.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Start was my favourite cereal as well. RIP.

Phileas Fogg tortilla chips are sorely missed as well. Absolutely pissed all over Doritos and any other ones you can get now days that don't even taste like tortilla chips.
    I loved them too. M&S have got a flavour that is very similar but I can never remember which one it is.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Hal1x said:
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Truth is nobody wanted too, :s
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Hal1x said:
    Watney's Party 7 beer,

Nux Bar

Peanuts , tanner a bag.

Truth is nobody wanted too, :s
    We was always a very thirsty group so often forced to resort to a screwdriver and hammer if I remember rightly. On the wine front a nice bit of Liebfraumilch for the ladies was the preferred choice (in a screw top bottle naturally).