Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    Will that decision today now see Khan out of office as Mayor next May? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    No.
  • Options
    Yeah I think it will, the inner London population seem to love him and I'll say I prefer him to that shithouse Johnson but extending the ULEZ is something else that just batters people who can't afford to take any more financial battering. 

What has he done during his term in office that has genuinely improved life for Londoners and not just cost people money? 
  • Options

Carter said:
    Yeah I think it will, the inner London population seem to love him and I'll say I prefer him to that shithouse Johnson but extending the ULEZ is something else that just batters people who can't afford to take any more financial battering. 

What has he done during his term in office that has genuinely improved life for Londoners and not just cost people money? 
    Massive increase in council houses and he's frozen tube and bus fares. The mayor has far less powers than people seem to think. Even the ULEZ expansion was forced on him...

He stays as mayor (if he runs again) as there won't be a better alternative from the opposition. Shaun Bailey is a joke.

Fares across our network increased by an overall average of 5.9% on 5 March 2023.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/new-fares
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Wasn’t the expansion of ULEZ actually a condition placed on the Mayor by the Government in exchange for effectively bailing out TFL during the pandemic?
    Yes and so are the tube fare increases 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Wasn’t the expansion of ULEZ actually a condition placed on the Mayor by the Government in exchange for effectively bailing out TFL during the pandemic?
    Correct, the MPs of that government then wasted public money on a pointless court case just to politick. 
  • Options
    Genuine question: Is the air quality in Greater London really less than that of other cities in the UK - notably, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc... It does seem Londoners are being punished.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Genuine question: Is the air quality in Greater London really less than that of other cities in the UK - notably, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc... It does seem Londoners are being punished.
    It’s about the same, hence why Birmingham and Manchester have government backed and funded Clean Air Zones that charge those driving high emission cars 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The other Cities do not cover anything like the area of the new zone and charge a lot less than London. 
  • Options
    it's a tax on the less wealthy
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I think it might. He is choosing a crusade that is unpopular with a good number but relying on there only being  a relatively weak alterative / unknown Conservative alternative (not Shaun Bailey by the way).

He may survive but it will be a harder battle than it might otherwise be.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Well poor air quality has a direct impact on respiratory diseases and life expectancy. So that. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Wouldn't they be using the bus?
  • Options
    clive said:

Carter said:

Massive increase in council houses and he's frozen tube and bus fares. The mayor has far less powers than people seem to think. Even the ULEZ expansion was forced on him...

He stays as mayor (if he runs again) as there won't be a better alternative from the opposition. Shaun Bailey is a joke.

Fares across our network increased by an overall average of 5.9% on 5 March 2023.

Years prior were frozen weren't they?
  • Options
    Carter said:

I wasn't aware of this. 

What are the numbers he has managed to achieve versus predecessors and are we talking about genuine council houses / sensible rents or the property that gets labelled as 'affordable' but maybe actually isnt?

No axe to grind here just curious as the housing market is not a good story for renters generally but interesting if he is managing to make it more equitable for increasing numbers. That would be a good angle to help him get re-elected if true.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I wasn't aware of this. 

What are the numbers he has managed to achieve versus predecessors and are we talking about genuine council houses / sensible rents or the property that gets labelled as 'affordable' but maybe actually isnt?

No axe to grind here just curious as the housing market is not a good story for renters generally but interesting if he is managing to make it more equitable for increasing numbers. That would be a good angle to help him get re-elected if true.
    https://www.london.gov.uk/council-homebuilding-london-last-year-higher-rest-country-combined
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    clive said:

Carter said:

Years prior were frozen weren't they?

Fares on TfL services will rise by RPI+1 (4.8 per cent) overall on 1 March 2022 to help TfL reach financial sustainability.

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/fares-on-tfl-services-will-rise-by-48-per-cent#:

On 1st March 2021 the overall cost of London’s public transport costs will rise by 2.6%.
    https://www.wondersoflondon.com/londons-tube-and-bus-fare-rises-confirmed-for-2021/

Fares were frozen between 2016-2021
  • Options
    Labour policy already rejected at the ballot box. No wonder SKS doesn’t like it. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    se9addick said:
    Yep

Alex dePfeffel didn't bail out TfL thru the pandemic, he only loaned it funds to keep it (just) afloat with decimated passenger revenue.
    That loan came with stringent conditions, among which was a simplistic requirement to increase revenue.  Effectively ignoring the reality of 2020 and 2021and insisting that the unforeseeable trough in TfL revenue had to be refilled retrospectively.  No regard whatsoever for TfL's crucial role in the life of our city.
    What alternatives have Kahn, Tfl and the GLA had?  Where else could significant revenue be sourced?  It could only ever be the residents and commuters of London.
    Kahn is the chump left holding the shitty end of the stick.  Remains to be seen if London's voters are as gullible and hard of remembering as the tories seem to believe, early signs from (admittedly forever true blue) Uxbridge weren't encouraging.
    The current squatter in 10 Downing St is parroting the childish mendacity and Alex dePfeffel's petulant idiocy, apparently in the belief that if you repeat the same lies often enough and loudly enough, sufficient halfwits and morons will believe you.
    All while they bailed out tory led Mayor's during the pandemic e.g. Birmingham.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Carter said:

Certainly not his narrative. He was stating very clearly today that it was his decision. From the point of political expediency, why isn't he passing the buck?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Wouldn't they be using the bus?
    From Crayford to Hillingdon ?

Or with a trolley-load of food shopping

Or late at night with children ?
  • Options
    Carter said:

Certainly not his narrative. He was stating very clearly today that it was his decision. From the point of political expediency, why isn't he passing the buck?
    He's not a weak leader.
  • Options
    You can easily buy a compliant car for £500 and sell a non -compliant one for at least as much. Not sure why this is considered a tax on the poor.