Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 2021/22 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to going to the game. Only a pity it's not away 

Hope we play a starting XI from the same 18 or 20 players in the league squad and we really go for it.

Henderson, Deji, CBT, Davison, Morgan, Watson, Kirk, Souare should all start along with some of the starting side.

Does that mean, does anyone know, that we can then play the same team v Orient as it was our first team in the last game?
    I know it'll do Henderson some good getting game time and if he doesn't then what's the point in him being here, but I actually hope that Nathan Harness gets a run out instead this Saturday.

He's done well in the EFL Trophy.
  • Options
    Seem to be in the minority but quite looking forward to this one. Expecting wholesale changes and rightly so imo. Getting some competitive minutes into the fringe players will help keep them fresh and engaged when we start to pick up injuries and suspensions. 

Will also be good to see some of the younger players. Elewere surely will start and maybe we will see Burstow up top with Davison.  
  • Options
    I think this is the team I would go for (not sure on the fitness of periphery players)

• Options
    surely he'll stick to a back 3 and wing back
  • Options
    Think i read somewhere Hendo is starting in goal.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think this is the team I would go for (not sure on the fitness of periphery players)

Is Henderson injured.....again?
  • Options
    It was rather intriguing watching the FA Youth cup game last night on the 4G pitch.
    I thought Worthing were at an advantage (not ultimately a good enough advantage) because they were more used to the surface than Charlton. I think it took our players a while to settle down to the unfamiliar playing conditions, and to me they never fully seemed to get the proper measure of the 4G surface in the 90 minutes.
    If the game tomorrow against either Havant, or Waterlooville, or both, leads to a replay I understand they have a 4G pitch at both Waterlooville and Havant, and a fixture down there would be tricky for us.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    IdleHans said:
    With the size of our squad this year we can practically play two first teams, so it makes sense to make changes and give those out of the current side a game. They should have enough to win the game (yeah, I know) and be trying to play their way into the league side. I hope we give the cup a proper go this year.
    Don’t agree. Important to win to keep the run going so play the best team. Resting players sends the wrong message and places in the team should be based on performance not to give players run outs. 
    100%, if a player needs a run out stick him in the reserves or the under 21’s. 
  • Options

Hope we play a starting XI from the same 18 or 20 players in the league squad and we really go for it.

Henderson, Deji, CBT, Davison, Morgan, Watson, Kirk, Souare should all start along with some of the starting side.

Does that mean, does anyone know, that we can then play the same team v Orient as it was our first team in the last game?
    I know it'll do Henderson some good getting game time and if he doesn't then what's the point in him being here, but I actually hope that Nathan Harness gets a run out instead this Saturday.

Totally agree.

Harness is the future.

And I have no idea what Henderson is doing here either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Totally agree.

Harness is the future.

And I have no idea what Henderson is doing here either.
    Henderson will be playing tomorrow.
  • Options
    A £2 edition of Valley Review will be available from The Valley tomorrow afternoon, with the cover artwork celebrating our 1947 FA Cup triumph as we appraoch the 75-year anniversary 

• Options

Due to FA broadcasting rules, there is no live stream available for tomorrow's cup tie. If you can't get down to SE7, CharltonTV subscribers can listen to all the action with live audio commentary.

• Options

As part of the club’s annual remembrance, a minute’s silence will take place ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup tie with @HWFCOfficial  at The Valley.

• Options
    I can't see any point in playing Morgan. He is so far down the pecking order.

Clayden has been playing as a wing back in recent U23 games. He is so left footed that he is too easy to stop in his tracks,
  • Options
    Coming late to this, it must be a symptom of my CAFC FA Cup PTSD kicking in.

Is everyone ready for our annual sphincter tightening cup embarassment this Saturday?

Going for 0-1 and Havant bowling away thinking they are world beaters, followed by a really big draw in the next round...

(Twitches uncontrollably)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We absolutely need an FA Cup run this season.  Chances are we will have to go like the clappers to reach the play offs and I think an FA Cup would do us the world of good.  For too long we’ve meekly gone out citing the league as a priority, but I’m having none of that this year.  I’d love for us to get through to the 3rd round and get a big team at the Valley.  There’s a generation of supporters emerging that won’t remember the Prem days.  We haven’t played a big team in years, even when we got to the QFs in 2014.  

How great would it be to get Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc at home 
    Well said cuddles 😁
    I agree entirely 
    Is there something you’re not telling us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AFC Sudbury v Colchester United in the FA Cup tonight, available on the BBC

Might be an opportunity to watch Brendan Wiredu
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ross1 said:

So we're turning up this time? 
  • Options

When I’ve watched Henderson in the warm ups recently he seems to have put on some pudding. Saying that I don’t recall even seeing him out warming up at h/t on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Don't get the interest in being drawn against a PL team myself.

Most PL teams getting drawn v L1 team will stick out a skeleton squad so you watch a load of reserves, but being where all the money is they are still mainly £5-10M players so beat us comfortably much like when we played West Ham a season or two back.

It is not a prize worth bothering much with.  Until we are a half competent Championship team again I wouldn't bother as a manager tbh.
    Obviously you go to matches against higher clubs just to salivate over their players 
    Personally, I'd want to beat them and progress at least until we're taken seriously.

The negativity people like to spin about the FA Cup is a like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Not sure you could have miss understood my post any more tbh.  I don't watch any football except for Charlton or the odd international. I don't know which players to "salivate" over.  In fact I was asked to do a fantasy football team this year and gave up as I just didn't know many of the players in PL.  My point was that if the prize is to play and get beat by a PL reserve team like we were v West Ham a couple of years back it is not that exciting.  Of course I would want to beat them and have a proper run but as money has flooded to the PL that has become less and less likely in recent years.  My ideal would be to get drawn against the worst team left every round so we had the chance to progress as far as possible, much like Millwall did when they got to the final recently.  
  • Options
    Coming late to this, it must be a symptom of my CAFC FA Cup PTSD kicking in.

Is everyone ready for our annual sphincter tightening cup embarassment this Saturday?

Going for 0-1 and Havant bowling away thinking they are world beaters, followed by a really big draw in the next round...

(Twitches uncontrollably)
    Been waiting for the preview thread but on absence of it here's my thoughts.......

For some reason I'm not approaching the game like some I have in the past & expecting a handsome win. 

Comfortable 4-0.
  • Options
    I’m expecting a refreshing new old fashioned and positive approach to the FA Cup. Take it seriously and reap the rewards. We might not win it but we’ll build a winning team and have some fun along the way.
  • Options
    We've got plenty of depth in the squad, and players with something to prove. Get an early goal, and I can see it being a very comfortable win
  • Options
    Wembley here we come!!!
  • Options
    If the worst happens and we lose then just be thankful your not in my shoes and married to a Havant & Waterlooville fan. (my wife is from Havant)