Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shin pads

When I played football I had whacking great shin pads with circular ankle protectors - definitely prevented some serious injuries for me, incl broken leg

Ok so I played amateur football

But am I alone in finding modern shin pads that we see pro footballers wearing as utterly ridiculous - they are tiny - half way up their shins - no protection between foot and half way up the shin bone

My best mate’s son plays non-league, uses these stupid shin pads, and I was at a game where he got his leg broken (badly) between foot and lower shin bone

I just don’t get it

Views ….. 

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Grealish wears children’s shin pads. Surprising it’s allowed.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/jack-grealish-style-interview-2021

The low socks and tiny shin pads is just something I’ve always done.People have suggested a lot of different reasons as to why I wear them like that. It began during one season when I was 15 or 16 and the socks in training kept shrinking. I had to wear them underneath my calves and that season I ended up playing really well. So I ended up keeping them like that and to this day I’ve still got them. My shin pads are kids size, seven to eight, so that’s why they’re so small.

• Options
    Fully agree it's daft. Can't see why a manger would let his players take that risk either. 
  • Options
    My old man wouldnt let me play a game of football as a kid if I didnt wear shin pads.
  • Options
    My understanding is that many players, given the option, wouldn't wear shin pads but given that they are required to do so, they wear the smallest that they can find to tick the box whilst limiting the restriction / discomfort they believe shinpads create.
  • Options
    Mind you, it was a hell of a job cleaning off the dogshit ....
  • Options
    I hated wearing them. But had to suffer the consequences when a boot glided all the wdown my shin. I was soundless from the sheer pain and wanted to say something back to the player and the ref. I couldn’t. I looked at the white graze down my shin which then started to seep the red stuff. It took ages before I could get rid of the scab as it kept reforming after every match when it was knocked off. But I still wouldn’t wear shin pads. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    In all the years playing football, I can think of two occasions where my shin pads saved me from serious injury. I was still writhing in agony with the shin pads but was able to carry on. And I know my opponent on those occasions was trying to break my leg. It is why they have to be worn. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had the Blue Puma King ones and also the Lotto ones that protected your ankles n all
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I hated wearing them. But had to suffer the consequences when a boot glided all the wdown my shin. I was soundless from the sheer pain and wanted to say something back to the player and the ref. I couldn’t. I looked at the white graze down my shin which then started to seep the red stuff. It took ages before I could get rid of the scab as it kept reforming after every match when it was knocked off. But I still wouldn’t wear shin pads. 
    We had a player who wouldn’t wear shin pads in my Sunday side - he had his leg broken in a horror challenge (which was so horrendous, the player who fouled him should have been banned for life) - the ‘tackle’ was so forceful, our player’s shin bone snapped and came through his skin and his sock - I was in front of him only yards away, and had to run to the touch line and throw up - it was a horrendous sight - the amount of claret was unbelievable - poor bloke was laying there in agony, with a blanket over him waiting for the ambulance - luckily it got there pretty quick, and the paramedics were so worried about the blood loss, they basically scooped him up and rushed him to hospital

He never played football again, and walks with a limp because one leg is shorter than the other now

After he left the pitch, the grass was stained red where he had been laying - Ref wanted to restart match, but we refused - there was talk of the league deducting our team points or similar punishment for not completing fixture, but we invited one of the league panel down to our pub for a ‘chat’ and we spelt out why we refused to play, incl photos of our mates X-ray’s

It was quietly forgotten about after that
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a paperback 😉.
  • Options
    In all the years playing football, I can think of two occasions where my shin pads saved me from serious injury. I was still writhing in agony with the shin pads but was able to carry on. And I know my opponent on those occasions was trying to break my leg. It is why they have to be worn. 
    Particularly in Sunday football there were many players who were playing to hurt people and have a fight - I remember playing a semi final, and from the kick off their centre back whispered in my ear that if I got past him or scored he would break my legs - after 5 minutes I dribbled past him and scored a screamer from outside the box - next time I got the ball he tried to tackle me, and was definitely trying to break my leg - I managed to jump out of the way, but only just - rest of the game was him just kicking not only me but other players in our team - he got sent off for a 2nd yellow in the 2nd half, and the utterly predictable mass brawl erupted - we won 3-0, but after the game was a nightmare, with people rucking on the pitch and in the changing rooms after

To this day, I know if I hadn’t been alert and nimble enough to get out of the way, he would have broken my leg very badly, as it was from behind, and therefore my shin pads would have been of little help 
  • Options
    I always made my lads wear shin pads, having had a son break his 'tib and fib 'playing in a Kent county game when 15, although the tackle was non malicious, it took the shine of his footballing 'career' he was captain of the then Gravesend and Northfleet Academy side, and the team won the  junior Kent cup, and there were some very promising players like Chris Smalling around . His twin brother had a bastard tackle by in a cup game ( always the worst for Aggro) where his shine pad , full size, with guard protectors were split). Of course it all went off, as the ref did not even book the culprit,  Dreadful  scenes afterwards, we won which of course made it worse being the away team.  
    As an ex manager of Saturday league, wether under 8, or full adult, if you did not wear pads, tapped up, you did not play, Amazingly we had a ref who carded one of our players in a warm up for having the wrong colour tape on a warm up!. Both my lads stopped playing Sunday league as it was getting out of hand, with the reckless tackles. 
  • Options
    When I was managing we had a ref who objected to a player with white tape on black socks. Somebody had some black tape but it was a bit ridiculous. My son being a keeper, not only did I insist on him wearing shin pads, but finger savers in his gloves. I have seen a lot of keepers with bent fingers and I wasn't having that for him. With finger savers, some are better than others. The best are multi jointed but are hard to get but can be used time and time again. The Adidas ones are crap as are the ones you get with a lot of gloves. The best which my son still uses are some Warrior ones which are no longer available so he needs to be careful not to lose them.
  • Options
    Sure it's not his phone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think shin pads should be optional as an adult to be honest, you're not hurting anyone else by not wearing them. I'd personally wear them
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    We had a player who wouldn’t wear shin pads in my Sunday side - he had his leg broken in a horror challenge (which was so horrendous, the player who fouled him should have been banned for life) - the ‘tackle’ was so forceful, our player’s shin bone snapped and came through his skin and his sock - I was in front of him only yards away, and had to run to the touch line and throw up - it was a horrendous sight - the amount of claret was unbelievable - poor bloke was laying there in agony, with a blanket over him waiting for the ambulance - luckily it got there pretty quick, and the paramedics were so worried about the blood loss, they basically scooped him up and rushed him to hospital

He never played football again, and walks with a limp because one leg is shorter than the other now

After he left the pitch, the grass was stained red where he had been laying - Ref wanted to restart match, but we refused - there was talk of the league deducting our team points or similar punishment for not completing fixture, but we invited one of the league panel down to our pub for a ‘chat’ and we spelt out why we refused to play, incl photos of our mates X-ray’s

It was quietly forgotten about after that
    Hopefully the offender was not allowed to play football again.
  • Options
    I went to a pre-season game and Scott Wagstaff gave me his shinpad, it protects my thigh as well...
  • Options
    Couldn't agree with you more on this. I still play and there should be a minimum size/protection quality enforced on players as it lead to serious injury. Secondary reason is disrupting play compared to if players were wearing proper protection. 

Playing against Tudor Sports a good few years back and their players threatened I'd be going home in a wheelchair or ambulance, it would've been the case if it wasn't for my shinpads and had the stud marks on them to show for it. 

Funny with all the advancement in technology, I actually lost the above mentioned shinpads and can't find any near the quality of my old pair. If anyone has any recommendation please send them over :smiley:
  • Options
    Small shinpads on the lower shin are better than big shin pads on the upper shin.

It's ways the unguarded lower shin hits that result in breaks.
  • Options
    better to have big shin pads on all the shin - wear double ankle pads on my broken ankle as well - like playing in a tank 
  • Options
    Jermaine Pennant also wore a single ankle pad......weird!

Jermaine Pennant of Brimingham City with a secureity tag attached to  News Photo - Getty Images
    Didn't our very own Colin Walsh develop a shin pad that had in built ankle protectors?

I hated wearing the small ones you inserted underneath you sock, but I found a pair like the ones Pennant is wearing above. You pulled it on over your toes & had a strap that went under your foot. It was an all-in-one shin pad & ankle protector. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I think shin pads should be optional as an adult to be honest, you're not hurting anyone else by not wearing them. I'd personally wear them
    Would you say the same about seatbelts or lifejackets?
  • Options
    They stink, feel uncomfortable but I would always wear them. Ive also snapped a few of them and as I'm not some mau thai lunatic who kicks trees to harden the shinbone that snapped shinpad would have been my shin 

Modern day players don't tend to be on the receiving end of some of the horror show tackles that used to be commonplace so Jack Grealish can get away with wearing kids shinpads to a degree.

Playing on a Sunday used to be survival of the fittest/most prepared to engage in some of the more organic tackles and I'd rather not do that without shin pads