Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beckham - Qatar

Has reportedly signed a 150m ten year deal to become an ambassador for Qatar and promote tourism to the country. As part of the deal he will become the 'face' of the 2022 World Cup.

Naturally he's going to get a lot of stick over this, especially from human rights campaigners. Absolutely crazy money though and i'd guess the kind of money that even a multi-millionaire can't turn down.

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Mental amounts of money. Doubt he even made close to that much throughout his entire time as a footballer. 

Recently it was reported that John Terry and Michael Owen had been flown out to Qatar as part of a FIFA conference of some sorts, in order to get their ‘consultation’ on the 2 year World Cup idea.

Quite obvious they had no interest in the players’ opinion, but just want to get them on board to endorse the idea
  • No need for him to worry about his Tan fading for the next 10 years too. Got to have been a factor in the deal.
  • There's a vanishingly minuscule number of people who would turn that gig down
  • I follow Maserati on Facebook. He seems to have become linked with them too, featuring in photoshoots for the various vehicles. He must be really racking it in. (A lot of comments on  F'book saying he does not have sufficient gravitas to be brand ambassador.)

May be an image of 1 person standing car and road
  • He is also the face of Tudor watches - or he was anyway, not sure if he still is.
  • Oh well Dave that's your knighthood even further down the swanny.
  • He was over here last week doing the tour of stadiums and landmarks, but they are playing it down a bit saying the tabloids are inflating the value of the deal. I know he has a good relationship with the Qatari owner of PSG and reckon they see it as good PR for the upcoming 12 months and beyond.
  • Bloke always seemed keener on being a celeb than anything else. Guess he's getting to live that life.

• Sponsored links:

• Has reportedly signed a 150m ten year deal to become an ambassador for Qatar and promote tourism to the country. As part of the deal he will become the 'face' of the 2022 World Cup.

Naturally he's going to get a lot of stick over this, especially from human rights campaigners. Absolutely crazy money though and i'd guess the kind of money that even a multi-millionaire can't turn down.

This is a huge relief for me.  I have been worrying constantly about who would be chosen as the 'face' of the 2022 World Cup.

Beckham is a great choice and follows in the illustrious footsteps of previous 'faces' ... Pickles the dog in 1966, the diamond bracelet in 1970 etc etc.
  • The guy will put his face to pretty much anything for a few quid. Most of his social media posts are a paid partnership with some company or another
  • The guy will put his face to pretty much anything for a few quid. Most of his social media posts are a paid partnership with some company or another
    And has made an absolute fortune in doing so. This particular issue is probably a step too far given the humanitarian issues but in general terms I'm not going to condemn the guy for maximising his value and making money off it. 
  • cafcfan said:
    I follow Maserati on Facebook. He seems to have become linked with them too, featuring in photoshoots for the various vehicles. He must be really racking it in. (A lot of comments on  F'book saying he does not have sufficient gravitas to be brand ambassador.)

Never trust a man in white shoes.
  • iaitch said:
    He's just a media whore.
    he is just using his fame from football to make a living
  • edited October 2021
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    iaitch said:
    He's just a media whore.
    he is just using his fame from football to make a living
    Yes. Just a east end kid who made the most of his world class football talent.

Good luck to him.
    Exactly.

As if anyone would give a fuck about a Knighthood when £150m is shown in your face. That’ll make a massive increase to his net worth.
  • He's already loaded and would have everything he already wants.

He might end up being a great grandad one day. Keep passing the cash down...

Or, might be interested in making a very serious investment and might buy an English football club....

Or, give a lot of it to a charity that's personal to him

Or, go to space with other rich celebs and invest in space x 

Or, spend a few weeks in Amsterdam when posh spice is busy 

Or, get himself a f*cking season ticket down the valley and enjoy the rock and a roll of a late play off push!

• Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:
    Has reportedly signed a 150m ten year deal to become an ambassador for Qatar and promote tourism to the country. As part of the deal he will become the 'face' of the 2022 World Cup.

This is a huge relief for me.  I have been worrying constantly about who would be chosen as the 'face' of the 2022 World Cup.

Beckham is a great choice and follows in the illustrious footsteps of previous 'faces' ... Pickles the dog in 1966, the diamond bracelet in 1970 etc etc.
    Have you changed your name from hoof it up to Benty?
  • Pity he didn’t use his media presence to put the message of how shameful it is they’ve been awarded the WC. It’s a lot of money but he’s not exactly skint is he?
    He's not but even so, 150m to do a few photoshoots, a couple of tv ads and sun yourself in Qatar a couple of times a year. Who would seriously turn that down?
  • cafctom said:
    Mental amounts of money. Doubt he even made close to that much throughout his entire time as a footballer. 

Recently it was reported that John Terry and Michael Owen had been flown out to Qatar as part of a FIFA conference of some sorts, in order to get their ‘consultation’ on the 2 year World Cup idea.

Quite obvious they had no interest in the players’ opinion, but just want to get them on board to endorse the idea
    Probably not. Over 10 years they're paying him 288k a week. There will be plenty of premier league players at clubs like City and Chelsea not even earning close to that. Mo Salah isn't even on that at Liverpool.
  • Stig said:
    cafcfan said:
    I follow Maserati on Facebook. He seems to have become linked with them too, featuring in photoshoots for the various vehicles. He must be really racking it in. (A lot of comments on  F'book saying he does not have sufficient gravitas to be brand ambassador.)

Especially when wearing brown trousers....
  • Stig said:
    cafcfan said:

But a pretty safe option I've always found! Certainly safer than brown shoes and white trousers!
  • He could wear my old set of curtains and still look good
  • Pity he didn’t use his media presence to put the message of how shameful it is they’ve been awarded the WC. It’s a lot of money but he’s not exactly skint is he?
    He's not but even so, 150m to do a few photoshoots, a couple of tv ads and sun yourself in Qatar a couple of times a year. Who would seriously turn that down?
    I'm not a keen flyer
  • Stig said:
    cafcfan said:

And tucking their jumper into their trousers.