Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did you ever have a drink here?

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    When was it knocked down and when was the land it was on sold?
    Isn’t the land it was on now swallowed up by the North Stand expansion onto Harvey Gardens? 🤷‍♂️
    Yes it is
  • Options
    Yes and went to a couple of family do's there.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I might have gone to a junior red party there. Is junior reds still a thing?
    I miss definitely went to a junior red party there as well. 
  • Options
    Oh yes, was there when Lennie and Mark Aizlwood had to placate the madding crowd which initially got irritated over free train tickets. Few of us on here would play quiz matches subsequently at this venue. But didn't mind ultimately we ended up playing somewhere else (quiz that is) 😊
    Was that when Treadgold was in charge of the Supporters club? 
  • Options
    My grandad's brother ran it for a period in the 70s. This is according to my Mum, who sadly now has Alzheimers.
    Does anyone remember Alan?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    shirty5 said:
    Oh yes, was there when Lennie and Mark Aizlwood had to placate the madding crowd which initially got irritated over free train tickets. Few of us on here would play quiz matches subsequently at this venue. But didn't mind ultimately we ended up playing somewhere else (quiz that is) 😊
    Was that when Treadgold was in charge of the Supporters club? 
    He was chairman that night in 86, I always thought the free train tickets happened at the AGM in 85 and Jack Lindsell resigned after that night for Bill Treadgold to take over?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    @RedChaser about here mate? -

Could be left a bit but yeah it was behind the Covered End to the right although the red circled location looks as if it is over the pair of semis owned by the club where Sam Lawrie lived in one IIRC.
  • Options
    Played football for one of the VC teams for one season. Won the league if I recall rightly. One of the Woolwich and district leagues I think. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, probably more opposite Harvey Gardens
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    @RedChaser about here mate? -

Could be left a bit but yeah it was behind the Covered End to the right although the red circled location looks as if it is over the pair of semis owned by the club where Sam Lawrie lived in one IIRC.
    Knew the 2 girls who lived in the house on the right hand side out the 2. The one on the left always seemed empty
  • Options

Found this if helps anybody….
  • Options
    I used to go there in the mid 70s . Ray Don managed the place.  Me and the boys would get off the  Lewis coach after an away game and go for a few beers, then stagger home . I lived in westcombe park in those days . Happy memories . 
  • Options
    I remember (ish) one night after we won at Stamford Bridge we ended up there and  my hero Killer walked in for a beer. He went into a little bar bit at one end (posh bit ? :) ) and I plucked up the courage to say well played ( I think he may have scored a brace?). I think he said thanks and he would be watching the highlights later ? Anyway I was chuffed to speak to the man - proper starstruck!!! 
  • Options
    Saw the great Eric Silk and his Southern Jazz Band, barely remember when
    Place packed and lively
    Eric " Nice Hall wrong Ffing place" 
  • Options
    Programme from the official opening 1969

Does anyone know the name of the fella on the left with hand in pocket?
  • Options
    Many treasured memories of spending a Saturday evening in the Valley Club with my parents. My dad was friends with Maurice Banham and we would often share a table with Maurice and Sheila. The height of sophistication was having scampi and chips in a basket about 10.00pm!! Remember going in there after we beat Preston to win promotion - that was a lively evening! Happy memories. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh yes, my last time was a few beers with Steve Sutherland after the Sunday valley clean up 
  • Options
    Yup, few Bob spent in there 
  • Options
    Drank in the small bar in the 70’s pre matches with my dad, would watch the queues  forming at the turnstiles then decide if we had time for another pint.
    The doorman at the time was a guy called Alan Munn who I knew through work.
    Would love to know if Alan is still about and if he still attends matches.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Bournesnr said:
    Drank in the small bar in the 70’s pre matches with my dad, would watch the queues  forming at the turnstiles then decide if we had time for another pint.
    The doorman at the time was a guy called Alan Munn who I knew through work.
    Would love to know if Alan is still about and if he still attends matches.
    Sadly Alan passed away last year (I believe, it's possible it was this year, I swear Covid has screwed my sense of time passing). He hadn't attended the Valley since around 2008 I think after he moved down to Hayling Island. I'm still in contact with Derek Peason though, who was involved with the Valley Club. He doesn't get to games either these days, having also moved down to the coast.

Edit: I sent the picture from the first post to Del and he reliably informs me that it's Ray Donn's jag you can see in the photo. They're still friends to this day.
  • Options
    Cant believe we are on to page two with no mention of the Bernard Manning gig there or the Hales v Cantello incident. I was there for Bernard Manning (and for Jimmy Jones who was poor by comparison) but too young for the Hales v Cantello incident. Perhaps someone with first-hand experience can re-tell it?
  • Options
    The only time I can remember drinking in there was the night of the meeting with Michael Norris & Lennie Lawrence held to talk to fans about the recent move to Selhurst. Went in there as a kid with my cousins a couple of times too.
    Same here 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Programme from the official opening 1969

"Miss Sandie Shaw", "Mr Colin Cowdrey" but just plain Brian Kinsey.  The maximum wage may have been a thing of history by then but the social stratification of players as second class citizens was still going strong.