Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did you ever have a drink here?

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Good memories of The Valley club.

Player of the year do’s. 
    I’ve signed tickets by Nicky Johns the night he won it.
    Michael Barrymore stag night.
    Scampi in a basket.
    Getting into ground for free through back door.
    Kids Xmas parties (junior reds).
    Other stag nights.
    Getting a pint of Guinness with no head.
    Gatecrashing the famous supporters club night with hundreds of others.
    Letting Michael Glikstein know what we felt the Friday night before the 5-0 defeat at Blackpool.
    Coach left at midnight from Valley club.
    Having chats with Mike Bailey.
    Drinking in there Friday night after Hales hat trick against Luton. I got married next day with an awful hangover.
    HAPPY DAYS😜

• Options
    There’s somebody at the door 
  • Options
    We have the Carol Scott record but never heard of the Charlie Smithers one.

Never heard of Charlie Smithers TBH
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Good memories of The Valley club.

Player of the year do’s. 
    I’ve signed tickets by Nicky Johns the night he won it.
    Michael Barrymore stag night.
    Scampi in a basket.
    Getting into ground for free through back door.
    Kids Xmas parties (junior reds).
    Other stag nights.
    Getting a pint of Guinness with no head.
    Gatecrashing the famous supporters club night with hundreds of others.
    Letting Michael Glikstein know what we felt the Friday night before the 5-0 defeat at Blackpool.
    Coach left at midnight from Valley club.
    Having chats with Mike Bailey.
    Drinking in there Friday night after Hales hat trick against Luton. I got married next day with an awful hangover.
    HAPPY DAYS😜

😳 
  • Options
    Used to go in there on I think Thursday nights when they had a bit of a disco (yeah I know) was never hugely successful but for me it was close enough to walk home. One particular evening Glenda Jackson split my newly purchased pint of beer as I was paying for them at the bar. She was very apologetic and insisted on buying two more even though only one was spilt. No idea why she was there.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Used to go in there on I think Thursday nights when they had a bit of a disco (yeah I know) was never hugely successful but for me it was close enough to walk home. One particular evening Glenda Jackson split my newly purchased pint of beer as I was paying for them at the bar. She was very apologetic and insisted on buying two more even though only one was spilt. No idea why she was there.
    Canvassing? 😉
  • Options
    The South East London branch of the Musicians Union used the club for their monthly Sunday meetings / socials back in the day.  I attended several of these during the exile years and used to look sadly out of the windows at the derelict Valley.  I did several gigs at the club over the years and remember once arriving early one Saturday evening to set up.  I rang the bell and the door was opened by Mr Mike Bailey, who seemed a really nice bloke.  Fond memories of the place. 
  • Options
    The South East London branch of the Musicians Union used the club for their monthly Sunday meetings / socials back in the day.  I attended several of these during the exile years and used to look sadly out of the windows at the derelict Valley.  I did several gigs at the club over the years and remember once arriving early one Saturday evening to set up.  I rang the bell and the door was opened by Mr Mike Bailey, who seemed a really nice bloke.  Fond memories of the place. 
    What was your band called?
  • Options
    What was your band called?
    At the time we were called Weekend.  The guitarist, keyboard player and myself (Bass) were also in a prog band called Monolith, but we did the club / function band thing to earn a few bob to help fund our prog exploits.  I just found this grainy old photo of us set up at the Valley club.  (Whoever hung the two white balloons above the stage clearly had a sense of humour).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brings back some memoires that place to me.
    stag nights
    Last place I saw Eddie Cecil 
    Spending time chatting with Mike Bailey
    Valley Party Headquarters 1990
    just afew thingsof the top of my head.

Paul Davies autograph signed with mascara pencil on back of beer mat.

• Options
    We have the Carol Scott record but never heard of the Charlie Smithers one.

Never heard of Charlie Smithers TBH
    Nor me.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2860545-Charlie-Smithers
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Charlie Smithers, Grotbags, scampi in a basket. All for 75p a ticket does life get any better.
  • Options
    Junior Red Christmas parties from Selhurst says. 
     I asked Mickey Bennet if he was old enough to be drinking a pint of lager. 
  • Options
    I remember a packed meeting there in the mid 80s regarding the move to shitehurst. We had got there early and managed to get a table in a corner, but ended up standing on our chairs so we could see. I know Lennie Lawrence was there, but it was so noisy you couldn't hear him speak.