Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More cops than away fans

edited October 2021 in Not Sports Related
All a bit bizarre coming out of the ground after the game, a huge line of coppers down the middle of the street, doubled up in some parts, 8 mounted police and a whole gaggle of them milling around by the station and the Valley Cafe, presumably those not stony faced enough to stand in the special line of frowns and pouts. 

Training exercise, or where they genuinely expecting the 80 or so Donny fans that actually stayed til the end to cause enough Aggro to justify having half of Met Polices' finest descend upon SE7?

Comments

• It was a bit ott wasn’t it.
  • Must be a training exercise. Easily 25 Met waiting at the station when I arrived at 2.30. Massive police exercise for a nothing match.
  • Police numbers seem to have been high fairly consistently across this season, assuming they are getting in all the overtime they missed out on during lockdown. 
  • I asked one and he said they expected trouble due to the playoff game 2 years ago? Sounds daft but there you go.
  • Saw the police before the game walk the Donny fans up Church lane and into Floyd Rd where they marched down the left hand side of the road, for them to have to cross the road at the bottom of the hill at the junction. I would have thought it was easier to this at the top of the road.
  • ChiAddick said:
    I asked one and he said they expected trouble due to the playoff game 2 years ago? Sounds daft but there you go.
    Ridiculous. Surely they should talk to us, we could advise them which games are likely to genuinely be needle ones
  • se9addick said:
    Police numbers seem to have been high fairly consistently across this season, assuming they are getting in all the overtime they missed out on during lockdown. 
    Apart from BLM protests, ER protests, lockdown patrols during the first lockdown and overtime covering colleagues off sick with Covid !
  • edited October 2021
    By the time we got to walk up to the station they still maintained that line down the middle even though there were no Doncaster fans left, just a few oldies on the left who’d come out the west stand. So you had all the Charlton fans squashed on half a road. Tried walking through to empty left with my kid and got shouted at to go back. 

The thing that doesn’t make no sense is if you segregate that road all the way to the end, everyone has to cross at the end of the road anyway.

Was some bizarre stewarding at the back of the East Stand at half time as well. 

• Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    All a bit bizarre coming out of the ground after the game, a huge line of coppers down the middle of the street, doubled up in some parts, 8 mounted police and a whole gaggle of them milling around by the station and the Valley Cafe, presumably those not stony faced enough to stand in the special line of frowns and pouts. 

Training exercise, or where they genuinely expecting the 80 or so Donny fans that actually stayed til the end to cause enough Aggro to justify having half of Met Polices' finest descend upon SE7?
    Was a decent contingent of their risk out today. I think they'd left before FT so the police were left to look after nothing.
  • By the time we got to walk up to the station they still maintained that line down the middle even though there were no Doncaster fans left, just a few oldies on the left who’d come out the west stand. So you had all the Charlton fans squashed on half a road. Tried walking through to empty left with my kid and got shouted at to go back. 

The thing that doesn’t make no sense is if you segregate that road all the way to the end, everyone has to cross at the end of the road anyway.

Was some bizarre stewarding at the back of the East Stand at half time as well. 

What was the bizarre stewarding?
  • Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:

Was a decent contingent of their risk out today. I think they'd left before FT so the police were left to look after nothing.
    Was on the same train with i assume this lot, they were harmless. Massively OTT policing
  • Plenty of Donny and police on the slightly later Thameslink train to St Pancras. All perfectly peaceful though
  • They have to give the mounted section a "run out" to justify their existence. Where better than a low risk Saturday afternoon at Charlton.
    It costs about £120K p.a. to keep a police horse on the streets.
  • I asked one officer who said they were acting on intelligence.
    Make of that what you will.
  • seth plum said:
    I asked one officer who said they were acting on intelligence.
    Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Can’t knock it. They did what they thought was necessary and kept order. We would all be giving them grief if something did happen and we found out they were aware it would, especially on kids for a quid day 
    But you can't have 50 plus officers everywhere. By being at the Valley, other places got a reduced service. 
  • seth plum said:
    Classic oxymoron.
    No need for that.
    Perfectly reasonable observation.
    ;-)
  • Arrived at about 2pm, four police wagons full of old bill came tearing along Woolwich road the wrong way. Only to go around the roundabout back up the same side of the road they came down. Parked near the lights near the old Anti. bloody weird.
  • Appears their risk group made their first trip outside Donny this season and there was some trouble up town.

Last minute call by the police commander to bring in reserves.
    As usual after the event 
  • Appears their risk group made their first trip outside Donny this season and there was some trouble up town.

Last minute call by the police commander to bring in reserves.
    When was the last time any risk group done anything of note the posturing and hand waving it was a massive overkill and the same as Afka I’m tripping up the bloke in front go to switch left and was told I couldn’t despite no one being within 20 metres
  • They knew fat boy and his mate were coming.
    Yeah,what the hell was that all about? I saw him posturing at the front of the jimmy seed then he took his shirt off and threw it into his own fans who proceeded to lob it about amongst themselves. I wonder if he had to pop into Next on his way home to get a new top? Bloody long way home shirtless😂
  • ChiAddick said:
    I asked one and he said they expected trouble due to the playoff game 2 years ago? Sounds daft but there you go.
    Ridiculous. Surely they should talk to us, we could advise them which games are likely to genuinely be needle ones
    They do.
  • They knew fat boy and his mate were coming.
    Yeah,what the hell was that all about? I saw him posturing at the front of the jimmy seed then he took his shirt off and threw it into
     his own fans who proceeded to lob it about amongst themselves. I wonder if he had to pop into Next on his way home to get a new top? Bloody long way home shirtless😂
    That's the best beer gut I've seen live at a football match since our 1994 FA cup run.