Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rommadahl signs for...

edited July 2007 in General Charlton

Comments

• Options
    How much?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]How much?[/quote]

How much are you prepared to pay Ajax to take him off our hands?

Wherever DutchAddick is...perhaps you could do a spot of translation, it looks as though he's there for a medical.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sky are quoting £675k

and so are CAFC http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31011
  • Options
    1 million €uros
  • Options
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=477878&CPID=9&clid=33&lid=2&title=Ajax+capture+Rommedahl&channel=Football+Home&

He's signed for £1M, see link.
  • Options
    Sorry I reckon sky are wrong. O/S says £1M euros, but I can' t paste it.
  • Options
    good riddance, what a big girl.

Thanks for the last minute goal tho!
  • Options
    Dennis Rommedahl came add itself Friday afternoon after its medical testing to the Bloemenbeek at the selection of Ajax. With that he the second player is who is contracted in two days. - Thanks Babelfish...

What a dissapointment he has been.
  • Options
    got to say the bloke had me on the edge of my seat every time he got the ball but I was soon back in my seat.

He showed flashes - few good goals - pompey away palace away - he'll always be remembered for that,

but one of the biggest disappointments in a charlton shirt for a long time.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Good riddance.

The only three decent memories I have of him are Palace, Pompey and Boro away. Never forget him for the Palace goal - but apart from that a massive disappointment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad he has gone most frustracting player to watch

Shear class when he is running with the ball

But bottled every tackle every header
  • Options
    From the BBC website:

"Ajax fits me perfectly. I hope that Ajax think the same. I wanted to return to Holland very much," said Rommedahl.
    "I played a lot of years in the Dutch Eredivisie, and I love the positive football that is played there. That absolutely counts for Ajax."
    He added: "They play on the attack and always play for prizes. But since I went to England I became more of an all-round player."

More of an all-round player?! Yes Dennis, your tough tackling and 'never say die' attitude will be desperately missed!

I always hoped he would prove himself one day, but it wasn't to be. On the plus side, it's another of the higher earners off the wage bill and at least we've got a bit of our money back.
  • Options
    By all round I'm sure he means that he wasn't allowed to sit half way up the field all the time in space & do what he wanted to do & do what he does best...He has never been and never will be a battler, its a shame alot couldnt realise that.
    You cant be such a dangerous player for the majority of your clubs and an absolute gem for your country without having something special. Never had the chance to show us what he could do IMO.
    A disappointment maybe but all down too him? Definately not.
    Thanks for the goal @ Selhurst Dennis!
  • Options
    We never played to his strengths - and never played him where he would do the most damage.

You've only got to watch footage of how he was played by PSV and Denmark, to see how lethal he could be.

You watch him come alive this season.
  • Options
    An immensely frustrating player.

Undeniably talented but too inconsistent and lightweight for a team like us where he was expected to be a leading light.

On balance best for all concerned that he has moved on and at least we've got something back on his fee.
  • Options
    An athlete, not a footballer.

Thought he was a bluffer.

For an international player, his final ball was Conference standard at best.
  • Options
    Well good luck to him, we didn't play to his strengths, but he wasn't strong enough, or tough enough in the tackle to play in the right position for him - just behind a striker.

Played out wide he could have been a great player, he certainly had the pace to play there, but that's only half the equation, he had no crossing ability or power when he crossed the ball, or directional ability for that matter. I remember the Fulham away game earlier this year, their left back dived in for a tackle, missed the ball, Romm went round him and the defence opened up with defenders rushing to get back. I was half out my seat and then realised that there was no point getting excited, he'd only screw the cross up and he did...

Possibly the worst crosser/corner taker I've seen in a red shirt, at least for a winger.
  • Options
    Curbs ruined him by making him play to defensive....I bet he'll be a star in Europe this season
  • Options
    He was without doubt the Player who got me effing and blinding more than any other.He plays on the left He plays on the righttttttt.It makes no difference coz Denis is shite. FACTTTTTTTTTTTT
  • Options
    the thing is ... when he first came to us and I remeber the first couple of games he played, he was making some great runs into space and had confidence after the purchase I think we had euell in the middle who couldnt pick his toenails let alone a pass.... and he kept making the right runs round rthe back of the defence for a little ball over the top where he could have done some dfamage and over time and curbs' will we changed his approach to being in front of the full back to ensure we didnt effectively have an atack minded player only ... so no wonder he wasnt effective, he lost his confidence and got shouted at by the fans for two years... we would have been overrun if we just let him stay up there... shame though, bet hes terrifc for them this year ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]An athlete, not a footballer.

Thought he was a bluffer.

For an international player, his final ball was Conference standard at best.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

The guy has little or no first touch, no vision, no positional awareness, no passing ability, can't head, can't tackle, can't cross and can't shoot (bar about 3 examples already listed) but he can run very fast. Came to the game by accident and very late in life (didn't start playing football 'wil he was 18 or so I don't think) - for me that was obvious on a weekly basis.

I'm always absolutely baffled by the amount of people describing him as 'class' - especially as they then slag off a player like Thomas who actually does have natural footballing ability....
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That is total rubbish. You don't play for the teams he's played for and get as many international caps as he has without being a decent player.
  • Options
    Sorry but I didn't watch him playing in the second rate Dutch League and have barely ever seen him play for Denmark.

I did however watch him play dozens of times for us and he was complete sh!te on pretty much every occasion.

And I think we could start a thread that would rival APRAWA for number of posts that listed players who've played for big clubs and won international caps but you still couldn't call 'class'.
  • Options
    What i don't buy is the 'we didn't play to his strengths' 'we played him out of position' 'curbishley ruined him' 'he had a troubled childhood, his mummy never loved him stuff'.

The bottom line is Rommedahl has the potential to be a fantastic footballer because he has blistering pace and good close control. But he simply could not adapt to the English style of game, particularly for a club that couldn not afford to carry anyone on the pitch. And after a little while, he didn't seem too bothered about wanting to try and adapt. Three managers tried, and all failed.

With Dennis its always everybody else's fault, never his.

He's not the first overseas player not to adapt to over here, and he won't be the last. He'll revert back to being a success at Ajax in a slower paced game, for a side that has the bulk of the possession and can afford to be a bit looser in defending.
  • Options
    Bang on.

You can't bluff your way to 60 Caps for your country - especially a reasonably high profile side like Denmark.

And he was frequently spectacular at PSV in the Champions League.

So the problem, evidently, was at Charlton.
  • Options
    Which element of his game is it that returns when he's not wearing a Charlton shirt then?

Can he suddenly cross or pick out a killer ball, beat a man and score? If so, why even when he had got in the position to do so for us could he not? Is our grass too long, or the weather too cold?

I do buy the foreign players not being able to adapt argument, it is a very different game but even with those that don't you can generally see that they have the ability but not the space or players around them to take full advantage, personally I never saw that with Rommedahl.

I know his stats would argue otherwise but what I saw with my own eyes doesn't.
  • Options
    Why he was never able to show that ability for us I don't know, it was probably a number of things but as I said you simply don't get to play at the level he has (World Cups, European Championships, Champions league) without having some talant.
  • Options
    Rommedahl would be fantastic in a strong side that gets plenty of possession but that was never going to be us, was it?
    I think people are being a bit harsh on him in terms of his ability because, as others have said, you don't achieve what he has internationally (where he is first choice for Denmark) unless you have a very high technical ability.

Remember the way he trapped the crossfield ball from Song at Watford and put a first time cross onto Ambrose's head? That showed what he could do.

I think that, on balance, the fault would like 75% in his court and the remainder in ours, we could have done a bit more but even then his lack of suitability to our style and culture of play would have still made his being a success a long shot.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My own view is that he will do well for Ajax as he did for PSV as they will be dominant in most games and that suits him. If he was able to do a job at a better English club than Charlton why did none of the prem clubs come in for him?

When Romm can get the ball in the last third his pace means he is in the area and a threat. At Charlton and in the Prem that was rarely the case. Still don't understand why Curbs bought him as he is the most un-Curbs type of player I can think of.

He can cross but not, IMHO, on the run. He is fast but has no tricks. Dowie's view (for what it is worth) was that Dennis wouldn't run AT a player and always showed the defender which side he was going so making it much easier for the defender to block him or run him into a corner.

When Romm did run at players (Villa at home this year) he drew free kicks and sending offs. Shame was that he did very little of this.

He said at a Bromley meeting that he wasn't a huge fan of English life so a move back to Holland, his wife's home, will suit him.

His finishing was also poor but he will always be remembered for THAT goal.
  • Options
    Had the Pedigree, wonderful first touch, as quick as anything I have seen at the club over the years. Sadly that's where the positives end for our Denise.

It's gonna be galling watching him ruining full backs in the Champions league, which he will do, you watch.