Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ali Maxwell - Charlton TV

Comments

• Options
    Even before this clip, my opinion of Sandgaard would go up a considerable amou T if he let Steve Brown go and hired Maxwell full time for Charlton TV.

Putting that to one side: yeah, pretty much. It's clear he has insights many of us don't given he's worked for the club. It's good to hear it echoed by someone who has worked there part time but has no other stake in Charlton. Sometimes as supporters, from the outside looking in, things seem simpler than they are and the answers more straightforward and what it's like day-to-day. Maxwell covering the entire league and the entire Football League gives him a much better perspective. 
  • Options
    Both are excellent EFL pundits. Curious why ITV haven't used them this season for the highlights show 
    They don't tick the boxes.
  • Options
  • Options
    Where's he ranked us?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Where's he ranked us?
    5th
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Guardian have us as automatic promotion contenders along with Derby, Bolton and Pompey
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Where's he ranked us?
    5th
    But he also put Oxford in 3rd!
  • Options
    24th Reading
    23rd Cambridge
    22nd Exeter
    21st Cheltenham
    20th Fleetwood
    19th Carlisle
    18th Stevenage
    17th Shrewsbury
    16th Northampton
    15th Leyton Orient
    14th Wigan
    13th Burton
    12th Barnsley
    11th Port Vale
    10th Wycombe
    9th Lincoln
    8th Bristol Rovers
    7th Peterborough 
    6th Portsmouth
    5th Charlton
    4th Blackpool
    3rd Oxford
    2nd Derby
    1st Bolton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    mendonca said:
    Where's he ranked us?
    5th
    George Elek is always a bit biased towards Oxford as he is a fan, BUT Oxford are definitely the dark horses this year. With the signings they’ve made and Manning at the helm, they’ll definitely be up around the play offs I believe.

If the season went off tomorrow and you couldn’t make anymore signings, I think 5th is about right. But I’m hopeful we can push a bit further. 

Blackpool have a wonderful manager, but I’m not sure they have the side for forth.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Ferryman said:
    mendonca said:
    Where's he ranked us?
    5th
    George Elek is always a bit biased towards Oxford as he is a fan, BUT Oxford are definitely the dark horses this year. With the signings they’ve made and Manning at the helm, they’ll definitely be up around the play offs I believe.

If the season went off tomorrow and you couldn’t make anymore signings, I think 5th is about right. But I’m hopeful we can push a bit further. 

Blackpool have a wonderful manager, but I’m not sure they have the side for forth.
    Last year was the outlier, as before then Oxford had consistently been near the promotion places

I'd be staggered if Reading actually finish bottom, as surely they'll be taken over and able to bring in some players. They're not a small club in a poor, neglected part of the country, they're in a modern stadium in a prosperous area of the country.
  • Options
    I’m aboard the HMS Pisstheleague until it sinks 🥸
  • Options
    We’re still 5th , who could ever forget that most misleading of positions , was that our first season outside the Prem ?
  • Options
    We’re still 5th , who could ever forget that most misleading of positions , was that our first season outside the Prem ?
    Yes, Pardew’s finest, I think.
  • Options
    We some how clung on to 5th for a while but our form was appalling and the pack tightened right up on us before the most predictable slide down the table , to an 11th place finish happened 
  • Options
    This lot predict 8th. But they also described Lloyd Jones at a veteran. 

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/latest-news/football-league-division-one/399145/league-one-preview-and-predictions-the-runners-and-riders-as-2023-24-campaign-gets-under-way/ 

‘Charlton Athletic

The South London outfit have made two key deals so far this window with League One veteran Lloyd Jones and Alfie May coming in. Dean Holder was made manager at the end of 2022 and is aiming to push for a play-off place coming off the back of a continued mix bag of results since his arrival, with his work with the squad judged solely in the run-in of last season.

Prediction: 8th’

Sounds like it wasn’t written all that recently?

• Options
    We some how clung on to 5th for a while but our form was appalling and the pack tightened right up on us before the most predictable slide down the table , to an 11th place finish happened 
    Sale of Andy Reid did that
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    This lot predict 8th. But they also described Lloyd Jones at a veteran. 

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/latest-news/football-league-division-one/399145/league-one-preview-and-predictions-the-runners-and-riders-as-2023-24-campaign-gets-under-way/ 

‘Charlton Athletic

The South London outfit have made two key deals so far this window with League One veteran Lloyd Jones and Alfie May coming in. Dean Holder was made manager at the end of 2022 and is aiming to push for a play-off place coming off the back of a continued mix bag of results since his arrival, with his work with the squad judged solely in the run-in of last season.

Prediction: 8th’

Sounds like it wasn’t written all that recently?

Anyone can be a football journalist these days, as these guys prove.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    24th Reading
    23rd Cambridge
    22nd Exeter
    21st Cheltenham
    20th Fleetwood
    19th Carlisle
    18th Stevenage
    17th Shrewsbury
    16th Northampton
    15th Leyton Orient
    14th Wigan
    13th Burton
    12th Barnsley
    11th Port Vale
    10th Wycombe
    9th Lincoln
    8th Bristol Rovers
    7th Peterborough 
    6th Portsmouth
    5th Charlton
    4th Blackpool
    3rd Oxford
    2nd Derby
    1st Bolton
    You deliberately trying to mess with my OCD!!! 

9/11 was the 9th of September in the states!
  • Options
    Some good Charlton chat on the latest NTT20 podcast at the start of the league 1 section (48 minutes in) 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Some good Charlton chat on the latest NTT20 podcast at the start of the league 1 section (48 minutes in) 
    Thanks for sharing, just had a listen.

Ali Maxwell hits the nail on the head: “not been impressed with anything I’ve seen from Charlton this season… on the pitch, in the dugout or the boardroom”.
    No wonder we're so miserable, lol.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Thanks for sharing, just had a listen.

Ali Maxwell hits the nail on the head: “not been impressed with anything I’ve seen from Charlton this season… on the pitch, in the dugout or the boardroom”.
    But apart from that ...
  • Options
    Good, and detailed analysis there. I know Ali has been on Charlton TV, but the level of knowledge he shows you'd think this was a Charlton podcast, not one covering 72 clubs.