Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1988 Admiral Shirt

Afternoon all. Bit of a longshot, but I am after either the 1988 home or away shirt in a small or medium. It's an Xmas gift for my daughter. Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with (for the right price). I know there is a grey away shirt on eBay at the moment but am suspecting that will go sky high as eBay prices are often inflated. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    All old shirt prices are high at the moment not just ebay. 
  • Options
    Yeah, realise that, but eBay seem ridiculous. Guess people get into bidding frenzies on there.
  • Options
    My first ever replica kit.
    I wore it to football at school with immense pride (I played with the shorts and socks too).
    I remember feeling like I was John Humphrey or Robert Lee with that on, and telling my Arsenal supporting sports teacher that I was going to run rings around him.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    eBay is about the most open market you can get so if prices are inflated on there it simply means the price of old replica shirts is high currently.  I suspect that as a reasonably well supported club our shirts are more expensive than most (ie big clubs simply have millions of shirts made and small clubs don't have much demand).  The last 1988 adults Charlton home shirt sold on ebay to go all the way to end of auction sold for a touch over £800 I believe.
  • Options
    A red one from the same season went for 600 pounds this year. Some people have more money than sense
  • Options
    My favourite shirt.

If anyone wants to buy me a Xmas present I need an XL........
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    A red one from the same season went for 600 pounds this year. Some people have more money than sense
    600 quid!!!

Bloody hell. 
  • Options
    A great shirt! Imagine how much the yellow one would be?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

• Options
    Ooooooooh. A thing of beauty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    600 quid!!!

Bloody hell. 
    Yikes!
    I hope the Museum has a good lock on its door!
  • Options
    We used to live near the Sparrows Lane training ground and one morning - not long after we moved into the training ground - I was walking on the far side of the training ground and saw that those infamous yellow shirts had been put out to dry just outside the club house, it was just after we had worn them in that away game at Arsenal when we drew 2-2.

You couldn't even buy those shirts at the time and I remember hatching a plan with some fellow Addicks at school to try and nick them off the clothes line after the next game in which we wore them.

We ditched the plan after realizing that there was a pretty good chance that these were likely the only set of yellow Charlton away shirts in existence so even if we successfully nicked them we'd basically be advertising ourselves as the tea-leaves if we ever wore them in public which was, of course, the entire point of stealing them in the first place!
  • Options
    We used to live near the Sparrows Lane training ground and one morning - not long after we moved into the training ground - I was walking on the far side of the training ground and saw that those infamous yellow shirts had been put out to dry just outside the club house, it was just after we had worn them in that away game at Arsenal when we drew 2-2.

You couldn't even buy those shirts at the time and I remember hatching a plan with some fellow Addicks at school to try and nick them off the clothes line after the next game in which we wore them.

We ditched the plan after realizing that there was a pretty good chance that these were likely the only set of yellow Charlton away shirts in existence so even if we successfully nicked them we'd basically be advertising ourselves as the tea-leaves if we ever wore them in public which was, of course, the entire point of stealing them in the first place!

They'd be selling for a few quid now if you had one.
    Perhaps @PopIcon could give us an idea on how much they go for.
  • Options

££££££££££££££'s
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

££££££££££££££'s
    £2000
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafc999 said:

££££££££££££££'s
    £2000
    That's the right price but I think it would.go higher
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafc999 said:

££££££££££££££'s
    £2000
     :o 
  • Options
    can see the price going down now - bet a few will see this and 'flood' the market - i know some people like collecting but £2k for a football shirt? 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Unlikely given there must only be 10-20 originally made so possibly only 5-10 left in total??  Assume the museum has one or two and a couple of hard core collectors so not many to "flood" the market with after that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i bought a white ribero top one summer off the sales rack - had the league badge and all sorts on it - went to watch a charlton charity match down in Eynsford that afternoon and wore it - i reckon it was a player's top and they hadn't washed it coz i spent the whole afternoon with a  swarm of gnats round me like Charlie Brown  - i reckon there could be 20 out there !!! not a  tsunami granted but  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    can see the price going down now - bet a few will see this and 'flood' the market - i know some people like collecting but £2k for a football shirt? 
    It's not a shirt that the market will ever be flooded with. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Only ever seen this shirt come up for sale once and that was about 20 years ago.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafc999 said:

££££££££££££££'s
    £2000
    Blimey guys, send a picture to a tailor in Hong Kong and he will knock you one up for a tenner.

Being slightly more serious, and not knowing much about collecting shirts, are replicas/forgeries much of a problem? 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafc999 said:

££££££££££££££'s
    £2000
    Blimey guys, send a picture to a tailor in Hong Kong and he will knock you one up for a tenner.

Being slightly more serious, and not knowing much about collecting shirts, are replicas/forgeries much of a problem? 
    Wouldn’t have thought so for Charlton .
  • Options
    love that yellow kit.....next away kit should be a re-make of that
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafc999 said:

££££££££££££££'s
    £2000

Not much of an issue with ours thankfully, though there are some half decent Adidas fakes. Must be a nightmare if you're a collector of a team like Manchester United. Their prices are also nuts  thanks largely to overseas collectors - £2k is pretty common! 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I saw a website set up selling charlton replica kits but couldn't work out if they were fakes or simply a website that would steal all your bank details.  Either way it was definitely not legit. 

I have bought quite a few from eBay and only one very obvious fake amongst them but from our PL days when I guess we were more widely known overseas and only cost me a tenner.

I suspect an awful lot of the "player worn" shirts on ebay are not genuinely player worn but the replica shirt would have been bought in the club shop.

After a recent acquisition, this 1988 home shirt is now the only home shirt I don't have since 1986 (ignoring the Hummel one-off 25yr special a few yrs back used for one game I think) and I am resigned to never getting one since I fell asleep and missed the bidding on a kids one on ebay a year or so back which was the only remotely affordable version of it I have seen.
  • Options
    I wonder how much the white or blue Osca tops I had would be worth now?