Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading: Championship club deducted six points for breaking EFL financial rules

Reading have been deducted six points by the English Football League for breaching financial rules.

The EFL determined the Royals lost £57.8m between 2017 and 2021 - the EFL's limit for that period is £39m.

The club have a further six-point deduction suspended until the end of next season, provided they comply with a business plan.

It sees Reading drop from 16th to 19th in the Championship, on 16 points, four clear of the relegation places.

The Berkshire club have been under a transfer embargo since the summer as a result of their breach of profit and sustainability rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59320479

Comments

• Can't wait to see what Benjy Nurick has to say about this one. Doubt if he's in the Club car park with his binoculars out.

• Everything about that song and video is just wrong.
    I spend a lot of time in Reading, not withstanding Pearl River takeaway i've never seen an east Asian person in the city.
  • clive said:

Reading have been deducted six points by the English Football League for breaching financial rules.

The EFL determined the Royals lost £57.8m between 2017 and 2021 - the EFL's limit for that period is £39m.

The club have a further six-point deduction suspended until the end of next season, provided they comply with a business plan.

It sees Reading drop from 16th to 19th in the Championship, on 16 points, four clear of the relegation places.

The Berkshire club have been under a transfer embargo since the summer as a result of their breach of profit and sustainability rules.

If they are under an embargo,how could they sign Andy Carroll yesterday.
  • clive said:

Pay as you play, he’ll spend more time on the physio table than on the pitch!
  • clive said:

Pay as you play, he’ll spend more time on the physio table than on the pitch!
    Damn, caught me unawares and I laughed before I could stop myself…
  • Reading have been charged with failing to pay their players on time and in full on three occasions last season by the English Football League.

The charges relate to October, November and April's wage bills.

Reading's owner, Yongge Dai, has also been charged with causing the club to be in breach of EFL regulations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65929124

• Sponsored links:

• So Wigan start on -8 points and Reading may be in a similar position. The -6 on Reading last year is looking suspicious now as they were relegated by 5 points. Any more than 5 and it could have been said the -6 made no difference and been an argument to carry over a portion of the points deduction. Doing my own head in here but trusting the wise heads at the EFL are doing the right thing and it is for our benefit for the coming season.
  • So Wigan start on -8 points and Reading may be in a similar position. The -6 on Reading last year is looking suspicious now as they were relegated by 5 points. Any more than 5 and it could have been said the -6 made no difference and been an argument to carry over a portion of the points deduction. Doing my own head in here but trusting the wise heads at the EFL are doing the right thing and it is for our benefit for the coming season.
    The points deduction for going into administration always used to be immediate until Dirty Leeds took the p155 by entering admin during their final match (they lost to Ipswich, if I remember correctly) when it was obvious they couldn't avoid relegation to the Third Division. It may even have been in the last 5-10 minutes of the season.

After that shambles the rules were changed so that if you went into admin in the early part of the season the penalty was immediate but after a cut-off date (maybe the old transfer deadline day of last Thursday in March? The theory being that promotion and relegation wouldn't be settled by that point) the penalty was held in suspension until the end of the season: if you stayed up the points were deducted that season and if it meant you then dropped into the relegation zone, tough titties; if you managed to go down under your own steam the points deduction was carried over to the following season.

I've no idea what the current rules and regs are although one suspects that the Football League are "agile" and make it up as they go along depending on whether the naughty club is a big one, a favourite of theirs or one they couldn't give a stuff about.
  • I may have said it before, but my view is that if a points deduction is issued mid season, it should be provisionally applied immediately. The provision being that if the deduction ends up causing the team to slip from a status (promotion to playoffs/playoffs to mid table/mid table to relegation) then the penalty remains. If not, the penalty is removed and is applied the following year instead.

The only issue could be that a team gets moved down to a playoff spot then gets promoted anyway, but it would still be better that arbitrarily deciding one year or the next depending on whether it’s Sheffield Wednesday or Rochdale.
  • Reading have been served a winding-up petition by His Majesty's Revenue & Customs over unpaid tax bills, as the crisis at the club deepens.

The financially troubled League One club is already facing a string of charges handed down by the English Football League.

Last week the EFL added failing to pay taxes to its list of regulations the club has failed to comply with.

Reading were also charged with failure to pay players on time last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66031836

• Reading lost an important revenue stream when London Irish changed to playing at Brentford.

Now the RFU have forced London Irish into administration and Brentford have lost an important source of revenue.
  • Would be a pretty big club to be wound up 
  • jams said:
    Would be a pretty big club to be wound up 
    It simply won’t happen. This is the 4th time they’ve had the petition.
  • Reading FC: The rise and fall of a club and its elusive owner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66291076
  • FFS... Reading were allowed to sign Sam Smith etc... but have now been hit with another Transfer Embargo

• Sponsored links:

• Charlie Savage Man Utd to that shower of shit
  • I'm probably wrong but I thought you could sign free agents when you're under an embargo anyway so wouldn't have made a difference? Maybe he would have made a different choice if this had happened a few weeks ago though
  • Wonder if he's regretting that decision.

Shame they snuck that one in during the gap between the embargoes!
    Still a bit baffeled how anyone could actively choose to go there with other options on the table at the moment. And for less money than he was offered here ! Bet his agent is chuffed. I'd be seriously concerned about getting paid each month if it's me. 
  • Wonder if he's regretting that decision.

Shame they snuck that one in during the gap between the embargoes!
    Still a bit baffeled how anyone could actively choose to go there with other options on the table at the moment. And for less money than he was offered here ! Bet his agent is chuffed. I'd be seriously concerned about getting paid each month if it's me. 
    Yep, I'm surprised they're not shopping in the same bargain basement we were under ESI etc, last minute freebies, loans etc - players who have no other offers.
  • Does this mean more points reductions or just an embargo? 
  • Heard on the Price of Football podcast they had one of the supporters club members on, who explained that the fans were now starting to organise protests outside the club entrance during pre season games.

Amazed it took this long really. Had Charlton been in this sort of situation then I trust our fanbase to have gone f****** mental by now, let alone just standing in the car park. 
  • Do football transfers have cooling off periods like some financial deals?  ;)

Ridiculous situation that an embargo is lifted and then reimposed so quickly but that's dodgy owners for you.