Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/vote-for-kents-2022-mens-player-of-the-year-now/

Today is the last day to vote for the player of the season. Quite a tough one, as different players have shone in different competitions, and at different times of the season, but plumped for Compton
    Compton is as good a shout as any for his weight of runs this season - 1,573 runs at 49.16 in his first full season playing as a professional and he didn't even play in The Blast

• Options
    edited September 2022
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/vote-for-kents-2022-mens-player-of-the-year-now/

Today is the last day to vote for the player of the season. Quite a tough one, as different players have shone in different competitions, and at different times of the season, but plumped for Compton
    Compton is as good a shout as any for his weight of runs this season - 1,573 runs at 49.16 in his first full season playing as a professional and he didn't even play in The Blast

agree with the consistency comment .. But (there always is) Darren Stevens was directly responsible through his semi- final performance, for Kent winning a prestigious tournament.
    Also, unless there is a major reversal in policy, he will alas, be leaving the county at season's end. Player of the season, nay player of the decade .. JUST MUST be the Beloved, Sainted Stevo
  • Options
    Stevens player of the season? I know he's been phenomenal in his career, but that'd be an insult to about eight others
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Stevens player of the season? I know he's been phenomenal in his career, but that'd be an insult to about eight others
    as all too often with you, a gross overstatement .. name the eight
  • Options
    Compton, Gilchrist, Bell-Drummond, Quinn, Leaning, Robinson, Denly, maybe Cox. That do? Stevens played a couple of decent short-form innings, that does not a player of the season make
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leuth said:
    Compton, Gilchrist, Bell-Drummond, Quinn, Leaning, Robinson, Denly, maybe Cox. That do? Stevens played a couple of decent short-form innings, that does not a player of the season make
    no it won't do, Kent. using your named players narrowly avoided relegation from the top division.. as I wrote above, Kent WON the prestigious Royal London Cup. Without Stevens they would not have even got to the final. For all your 'deserved, consistent few', without Stevens Kent would have won NOTHING, ZERO, the season would have been one of failure brought about by the players you have named, despite their supposed 'consistency and excellence'
    Player of the season i m o should go to one who has brought about some success, not bottom of the table mediocrity
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    no it won't do, Kent. using your named players narrowly avoided relegation from the top division.. as I wrote above, Kent WON the prestigious Royal London Cup. Without Stevens they would not have even got to the final. For all your 'deserved, consistent few', without Stevens Kent would have won NOTHING, ZERO, the season would have been one of failure brought about by the players you have named, despite their supposed 'consistency and excellence'
    Player of the season i m o should go to one who has brought about some success, not bottom of the table mediocrity
    But Robinson came in with the score on 20-2 and made 95 in that game. He also hit a total of 534 runs in the competition including a record 206 plus three 50s. So, I think he probably contributed more, overall, than Stevens did to win the competition. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    By that logic, give it to Evison for actually winning them the final?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    But Robinson came in with the score on 20-2 and made 95 in that game. He also hit a total of 534 runs in the competition including a record 206 plus three 50s. So, I think he probably contributed more, overall, than Stevens did to win the competition. 
    that had occurred to me, he was instrumental in the final and throughout the tournament, and there were a few good performances by other players in all competitions, BUT (lol) to repeat ad nauseum, Stevens' performance in the RLC semi allowed Robinson to excel in the final .. chicken and egg .. also Robinson played for Durham in the Blast as he was planning his escape from Kent no doubt .. I really am mixing metaphors, a case of Robbo having his Stottie Cake and eating it .. when all's done, these things, player of the season etc are a matter of opinion ..
    e.g. I mean Clive Mendonca, i m o one of the all time very most important, crucial CAFC players EVER, was never voted player of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    By that logic, give it to Evison for actually winning them the final?
    if you like, BUT it's Stevoooooo for me !!
  • Options
    That's why I said it was hard to name a single player, as many players contributed without doing it across all the competitions

Stevo actually had a poor season in the CC really, not helped by missing a number of games through injury. 148 runs at 24.66, and with the ball 4 wickets at 92.75. BUT was inspired in the Royal London. 

Similarly Robinson was nothing special with the bat in the CC - 497 runs at 27.61 in 12 matches, so he played all but 2 games - but was inspired in the RL after coming back from Durham

DBD had a very good season in the CC, but was shocking in the Blast.

Indeed the averages make interesting reading. And are also a reminder of some of the quickly forgotten loanees and imports who played for us this season, akin to those long forgotten Charlton loan and "Roland network" players...

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14444;team=1149;type=tournament
    https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14445;team=1149;type=tournament
    https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14447;team=1149;type=tournament
  • Options
    Lincs…..I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want Stevo to get player of the season for so many obvious reasons.
    You have a very good point but so too does AA.
    It’s a difficult one….. though I reckon if Stevo does get it, there won’t be many dissenters.
  • Options
    That's why I said it was hard to name a single player, as many players contributed without doing it across all the competitions

Stevo actually had a poor season in the CC really, not helped by missing a number of games through injury. 148 runs at 24.66, and with the ball 4 wickets at 92.75. BUT was inspired in the Royal London. 

Similarly Robinson was nothing special with the bat in the CC - 497 runs at 27.61 in 12 matches, so he played all but 2 games - but was inspired in the RL after coming back from Durham

DBD had a very good season in the CC, but was shocking in the Blast.

Indeed the averages make interesting reading. And are also a reminder of some of the quickly forgotten loanees and imports who played for us this season, akin to those long forgotten Charlton loan and "Roland network" players...

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14444;team=1149;type=tournament
    https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14445;team=1149;type=tournament
    https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14447;team=1149;type=tournament
    never let logic or damned statistics get in the way of a good argument discussion
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    that had occurred to me, he was instrumental in the final and throughout the tournament, and there were a few good performances by other players in all competitions, BUT (lol) to repeat ad nauseum, Stevens' performance in the RLC semi allowed Robinson to excel in the final .. chicken and egg .. also Robinson played for Durham in the Blast as he was planning his escape from Kent no doubt .. I really am mixing metaphors, a case of Robbo having his Stottie Cake and eating it .. when all's done, these things, player of the season etc are a matter of opinion ..
    e.g. I mean Clive Mendonca, i m o one of the all time very most important, crucial CAFC players EVER, was never voted player of the season
    I'm sorry but that isn't correct. The truth is that Robinson wasn't in our T20 squad which is why he was released to play for Durham. He wasn't going to get in ahead of four from Denly, Cox, Billings, Blake, Stevens, Linde, Leaning, Muyeye, DBD and Crawley - he played in just 4 of the previous season's 14 matches. It was actually in our interests to play him if we wanted to keep him because it is the fact that we didn't that triggered the early release clause in his contract. That is why he went there but, also to be clear, he chose Durham over another three or four counties for varying reasons - but I'm sure being valued by both the players and fans at Durham probably didn't do their cause in signing him much harm. 
  • Options
    One aspect of finishing 5th that I don't think has been mentioned here is that twice we played each of the other teams in the top six but only met each of the bottom four once. By comparison, Surrey only played the other teams in the top four once apiece but met all bar Gloucester of the bottom five twice.

That is the issue of a 14 match season for 10 teams so, perhaps, there is an argument that if the review reducing teams to six in each division goes through then we should have 15 games instead of the proposed 10 and the counties meet each other three times instead of twice.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    From an article on BBC 

In the past five seasons Kent have played 14 red-ball matches in the month of September, winning 11 of them, and losing just twice. 

By contrast they have won just one of the 10 Championship matches they have played in the month of April - at Edgbaston in 2019 - losing six of the others.

Those comments from Zak in the article don't sound like someone who wants to move on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63090167

"The next 10 years should hopefully be good here," the 24-year-old said.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    From an article on BBC 

In the past five seasons Kent have played 14 red-ball matches in the month of September, winning 11 of them, and losing just twice. 

By contrast they have won just one of the 10 Championship matches they have played in the month of April - at Edgbaston in 2019 - losing six of the others.

Those comments from Zak in the article don't sound like someone who wants to move on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63090167

"The next 10 years should hopefully be good here," the 24-year-old said.
    Crawley didn't say "for us". He said "here". We should ask the question why he only signed a one year contract if he intended to stay for more than that and if Kent fail to make the top division in 2024 then I fear that he will be off especially if he isn't in the England side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's awful, AA ! 

Please update us on his progress whenever you can. 

Thinking of him at this time.
  • Options
    A few on here might already have heard about Ben Aldred who plays for Bexley CC and has been a regular for Kent 2s this season. He is due to join up with the DLCA in Adelaide in a couple weeks time and told Seb how he much he was looking forward to the whole experience with the two intending to meet up once Ben reached Adelaide. Prior to that, however, Ben flew last week to Perth to meet some family who live out there. 

It's very sad to say that Ben collapsed when out walking a couple of days ago with his family. He is in hospital and I know that all the Kent community and beyond wish Ben and his family the very best during this worrying time for them.
    Oh gosh, I hope he's OK?  I saw him get his first ton for Bexley (vs Blackheath) a few years ago, and have followed his career closely since then.  He is a decent, tidy, keeper and a batter who likes to play his shots from the off.  He is entirely unselfish and often get's caught or run out late on chasing extra runs.  Please let me know if you hear any further news?
  • Options
    That's awful, AA ! 

Please update us on his progress whenever you can. 

Thinking of him at this time.
    Pedro45 said:
    A few on here might already have heard about Ben Aldred who plays for Bexley CC and has been a regular for Kent 2s this season. He is due to join up with the DLCA in Adelaide in a couple weeks time and told Seb how he much he was looking forward to the whole experience with the two intending to meet up once Ben reached Adelaide. Prior to that, however, Ben flew last week to Perth to meet some family who live out there. 

It's very sad to say that Ben collapsed when out walking a couple of days ago with his family. He is in hospital and I know that all the Kent community and beyond wish Ben and his family the very best during this worrying time for them.
    Oh gosh, I hope he's OK?  I saw him get his first ton for Bexley (vs Blackheath) a few years ago, and have followed his career closely since then.  He is a decent, tidy, keeper and a batter who likes to play his shots from the off.  He is entirely unselfish and often get's caught or run out late on chasing extra runs.  Please let me know if you hear any further news?
    Of course I will update if and when I receive any news. 
  • Options
    Really sad news. Hopefully he will make a full recovery
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, AA.

Your addition to it must be such a relief for his family. Positive news indeed.

Get well soon, Ben .
  • Options
    Strewth 🙁
  • Options
    Good to hear Ben’s awake. Hope he has a swift recovery .