Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

1104105106107108110»

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Strange move. Assume they have a decent overseas lined up 
    I think that Podmore probably felt that, in the last couple of seasons, even when fit that he no longer in the top three or four seamers in the CC and has had very limited opportunities in white ball especially in the Blast. These are the number of overs he's bowled in each of the last five seasons for Ken (CC/Blast/Royal London = Total):

2018 - 354/2/29 = 385
    2019 - 500/0/71 = 571
    2020 - 118/0/0 = 118
    2021 - 114/7/15 = 136
    2022 - 86/0/30 = 116

Given the above, the chances are that he only had one year left on his contract and that Kent have indicated that they wouldn't, at this stage anyway, be willing to extend it whereas Glamorgan have given him a two year contract. Podmore also has had two loan spells at Glamorgan so he is familiar with the set up there. From a financial perspective, Podmore leaving frees up a place for someone that Kent might be willing to offer a longer contracted to. 

Did he have an injury around 2020, as there's a massive drop off in his numbers since then? I recall the keeper standing up to him in the 50 over cup, which suggests his pace isn't very rapid these days...
    I believe that he's been injured for good periods of time in each of the last three seasons and that might well have contributed to his loss of pace.

In that 2019 CC season Podmore (52), Milnes (55) and Stevens (52) took 159 wickets and the whole of the rest of the squad managed just 68 between them. Last season those same three bowlers only managed 30 wickets in total - Podmore (5), Milnes (21) and Stevens (4) with the balance of the squad taking 158 wickets. That is a massive indication as to why, certainly in the case of Podmore and Stevens, the County has decided to release or allow them to leave.
  • Options
    So, from the perspective of seamers, we've lost Milnes, Stevens and Podmore but gained Evison and there is that rumour about Hogan though I haven't seen any confirmation of his signing. I suspect that we will sign three more quicks with one of those possibly being Hogan and another being an overseas as the cupboard is relatively bare:

Quinn
    Gilchrist
    Stewart
    Evison
    Singh
    Klaassen (white ball)
    DBD (occasional) 

So this is now how the seam attack is shaping up for next season:

Hogan
    Quinn
    Gilchrist
    Stewart
    Evison
    Singh
    Klaassen (white ball)
    DBD (occasional) 
    A N other?
    Overseas?

• Options
    It seems Hogan will also be part of the coaching set up during the one day cup, so that may have been part of the attraction.

What Stevo thinks will be interesting though.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    As much as I feel sorry for Stevo - the guy got 4 wickets all year last year and had four injuries - not sure you can expect to be given a contract, when you have a guy (hogan) who took 47 wickets last season and played in the hundred for the reigning champions. 

Also the learning from a different coaching  environment that Kent have said Stevo needs, really does make sense. 
  • Options
    Billings confirms that he will be at the Big Bash but he is not going to the IPL (debatable as to whether he would have secured a place anyway) so will be available for the CC from the outset. And presumably will also be playing for Gravesend CC, as per his instagram message, on some Saturdays too!

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/billings-withdraws-from-ipl-to-focus-on-championship-start-with-kent/
  • Options
    The right decision, as being second choice Test keeper for England he's a broken finger away from being called up. And after losing Robinson, I think he has a moral duty as Captain to put Kent first.
  • Options
    The right decision, as being second choice Test keeper for England he's a broken finger away from being called up. And after losing Robinson, I think he has a moral duty as Captain to put Kent first.
    As I say, I'm not sure that he would have got an IPL gig anyway - he's never been prolific and spent a lot of the time carrying the drinks. He didn't even make the England T20 squad and the likes of Buttler, Bairstow and Salt are all ahead of him in the keeper/bat role in white ball.

You are right about his position so far as the Test situation is concerned although England might still revert to giving the gloves to Bairstow if  there is a batsman like Brook, for example, who has had to bide his time to get into the side. The irony is that Robinson, in leaving, has probably focused Billings' mind on the CC because all the time the former was at Kent he was behind the latter in the England pecking order but that won't necessarily be the case now. The list of potential Test keepers, as revealed on Sky by Mo Bobat, the ECB Performance Director, is Foakes, Bairstow, Billings, Smith and Robinson so the latter two are very much under consideration and much will depend on how they perform in the CC.  
  • Options
    As I say, I'm not sure that he would have got an IPL gig anyway - he's never been prolific and spent a lot of the time carrying the drinks. He didn't even make the England T20 squad and the likes of Buttler, Bairstow and Salt are all ahead of him in the keeper/bat role in white ball.

You are right about his position so far as the Test situation is concerned although England might still revert to giving the gloves to Bairstow if  there is a batsman like Brook, for example, who has had to bide his time to get into the side. The irony is that Robinson, in leaving, has probably focused Billings' mind on the CC because all the time the former was at Kent he was behind the latter in the England pecking order but that won't necessarily be the case now. The list of potential Test keepers, as revealed on Sky by Mo Bobat, the ECB Performance Director, is Foakes, Bairstow, Billings, Smith and Robinson so the latter two are very much under consideration and much will depend on how they perform in the CC.  
    Jonny has been so good with the bat in 2022, that I'm sure they won't want to affect that by giving him the gloves again, and moving him down the order. 

It'll be interesting who goes to Pakistan. With the tough conditions, you'll surely want a second keeper there, rather than a part timer?
  • Options

Jonny has been so good with the bat in 2022, that I'm sure they won't want to affect that by giving him the gloves again, and moving him down the order. 

It'll be interesting who goes to Pakistan. With the tough conditions, you'll surely want a second keeper there, rather than a part timer?
    And they will probably take Billings because he's a very good tourist and doesn't mind carrying the drinks. Unlike the old days, we really don't seem to mind how many we take on tour either!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Interesting that Smith has been selected for the Lions ahead of Robinson. 
  • Options
    Who can blame them for doing this? Not sure who will want to sponsor what is a second rate competition and if they are, to what degree

May be a Twitter screenshot of text that says 29 Tweet 2052 Royal London Cricket RL_Cricket Our partnership with _cricket is ending and we will be closing the RL_Cricket page on the 30th November 2022 Wed like to thank everyone who has followed engaged with our content and supported our sponsorship Please follow RoyalLondon to keep up to date After yearsi partnership with England Cricket Board Royal Loo bidding the end shortly fyoud to please follow our main Twitter page RoyalLondon supporting our ROYAL
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the Papa John's 50 Over Cup, next season!