Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite sporting moment of 2021

Quite a few contenders actually.  Our rise up the table since JJ took over gives me as much pleasure as any.  The totally unexpected win of the NZ rowing 8s at the Olympics would be another.  Highlights to come might be (dreaming now) a spectacular Joseph Parker win over Chisora on their return bout on December 17th OR a decisive England win over Australia at Adelaide starting later this week.

But the winner is:  Emma’s win at the US Open

Comments

• Options
    Being at Wembley for the Denmark semi final. Seeing England win a major tournament semi final match is probably the biggest football game I could have been to in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Cav’s return to winning ways at the TdF
  • Options
    If we’re talking personal favourites, then it has to be England beating Germany at the Euros and everything else is a country mile behind 
  • Options
    Daniel Ricciardos win at Monza leading home a McLaren 1-2. And the ensuing trademark Shoey that I wasn't sure if we'd ever see again after some down years. 
  • Options
    Too many, but Fintan McCarthy and Paul O'Donovan's win in Tokyo made me smile.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Cav’s return to winning ways at the TdF
    Thinking more about it, very close second was Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald in the Olympic omnium, and Jason Kenny in the kierin. 
  • Options
    Emma winning the US Open
    Tom Daley finally winning an Olympic gold
    England beating Ukraine 4-0 in the QF of the Euros
    Kent winning the T20 Blast

In terms of events I was in person for, the England vs Pakistan ODI at Lord's in July, not because of the game or result, but because it was the first "normal" sports event I attended since March 2020. An amazing feeling to be at a full stadium again.
  • Options
    Quite a few contenders actually.  Our rise up the table since JJ took over gives me as much pleasure as any.  The totally unexpected win of the NZ rowing 8s at the Olympics would be another.  Highlights to come might be (dreaming now) a spectacular Joseph Parker win over Chisora on their return bout on December 17th OR a decisive England win over Australia at Adelaide starting later this week.

Did you not watch Euro 2020?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Emma Raducanu then Kent T20. Much that I love Kent, Emma's achievement way, way bigger. Lots of other moments but none in the same ball park
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Fury beating Wilder and England beating Germany in the Euros. 
  • Options
    This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXGpRLqOZTo

Nothing else comes close.
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu us Open 
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu us Open 
    Ridiculous having a discussion considering what Emma achieved. Close the thread. 
  • Options

Not NZ winning the world test championship?
  • Options
    England beating Germany is easily the sporting moment of 2021.

Was nice seeing a local lass win the US Open but the country didn't collectively go out and get trashed on the back of that.
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu us Open 
    Ridiculous having a discussion considering what Emma achieved. Close the thread. 
    It is FAVOURITE sporting moment  - not what was the best achievement 
  • Options
    Fury’s win. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The return of fans back into football league and Premiership grounds in August 
  • Options

Not NZ winning the world test championship?
    Thanks Carlton.  Forgot that actually (old age and all that).  Fury over Wilder was another big one I forgot.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Emma Raducanu us Open 
    It is FAVOURITE sporting moment  - not what was the best achievement 
    Best achievement by far too
  • Options
    The England v Denmark game.
  • Options
    The England v Denmark game.
    Eugh I was at work for that one. Had some Canadian in my ear talking about how lovely his holiday was to London three years ago because he saw I was watching it on my laptop.

F* off.
  • Options
    Going to an away game. Even if we were initially rubbish. Totally biased as I had a few quid but Rachael Blackmore at Cheltenham and Aintree was pretty good. 
  • Options
    Big feck off dildo going on the pitch at Lincoln. 
  • Options
    Mark Cavendish equalling the Tour de France record of Eddy Merckx and then winning the Green Jersey
    Another vote for Mark, although Emma’s win was extraordinary. 
  • Options
    Emma tennis, Fury boxing and some of the Olympics were fantastic but nothing comes close to a major international football tournament.

Germany, Ukraine and Denmark wins were sensational and will long live in my memory.