Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite sporting moment of 2021

2»

Comments

• Options
    My favourite sporting moments of the year?

Kent winning the T20 with Jordan Cox's stunning display with the bat and his performance in the field a particular highlight...

https://youtu.be/gevbVAMutWE

Josh Kennedy's last-minute goal for West Coast to beat Richmond ...

https://youtu.be/HbGAj1wS8NU
  • Options
    Kenny in the keirin and Raducanu at the US Open were the two most remarkable but Cav getting the green jersey was my favourite. 
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu then Kent T20. Much that I love Kent, Emma's achievement way, way bigger. Lots of other moments but none in the same ball park
    These two, but in reverse order.
  • Options
    Emma Rad's win for me
  • Options
    Sussex getting a draw against Leicestershire due to rain
  • Options
    The Jaguars' walk-off field goal to beat the Dolphins 23-20 at Spurs for our first win in nearly two years, as I was there in person for that, and honestly went completely bananas.

It is really, really something, following one of the worst teams ever to play American football, and FINALLY seeing a win, after 20 consecutive losses - because each individual game means so much when you only play 17 in a season. And while we've certainly gone backwards since then... so much about that day was great. Our kicker, Matthew Wright, was an aerospace engineer full-time for Lockheed Martin until six weeks before the game. He then nails two FGs over 50 yards long, one to tie up the game, and the other to win it. All on one of the most dysfunctional teams there's ever been.

Cheering for unthinkable happenstances like even advancing the ball ten yards for a first down; celebrating when our punter makes a big punt; or when there's a nice run; or... just all the infinitesimally small things that big teams won't blink twice at - that's part of the allure. We are shit. So, so, so bad - as this Sunday proved so egregiously. But, that makes some things all the sweeter.
  • Options
    quite alot of these moments i didn't see live. Barely watched any of the Olympics (i actually forgot that was even on this year)

Surprisingly apart from the germany game i didn't really enjoy the Euros. That was because of Covid and me trying to keep away from crowds. In 2018 i was at Borough market celebrating like a lunatic with thousands of others after our victory against Sweden for example, this year I watched all the England games at home. Doesn't really have the same atmosphere though it did mean i didn't have to deal with any prats chucking beer in the air. 

The tennis I did see a bit of one of her matches (possibly the final) and i was pleased that she comes from my neck of the woods but I think apart from the final it was mainly on Amazon so i didn't see that much of her getting to the final. Also i'm not that keen on tennis anyway. 

I did however watch the Tour de France and so my vote of sporting moment would be going to Cavendish. Fantastic achievement especially as he was struggling to even get a contract at the start of the year.
    I cheered when he equalled the great Eddy Merckx. Shame he couldn't get that last stage victory on the streets of Paris but he still won the green jersey. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    The Jaguars' walk-off field goal to beat the Dolphins 23-20 at Spurs for our first win in nearly two years, as I was there in person for that, and honestly went completely bananas.

It is really, really something, following one of the worst teams ever to play American football, and FINALLY seeing a win, after 20 consecutive losses - because each individual game means so much when you only play 17 in a season. And while we've certainly gone backwards since then... so much about that day was great. Our kicker, Matthew Wright, was an aerospace engineer full-time for Lockheed Martin until six weeks before the game. He then nails two FGs over 50 yards long, one to tie up the game, and the other to win it. All on one of the most dysfunctional teams there's ever been.

Cheering for unthinkable happenstances like even advancing the ball ten yards for a first down; celebrating when our punter makes a big punt; or when there's a nice run; or... just all the infinitesimally small things that big teams won't blink twice at - that's part of the allure. We are shit. So, so, so bad - as this Sunday proved so egregiously. But, that makes some things all the sweeter.
    The funny thing is, that when I was watching this game winning field goal, my immediate thought was of you Paddy !! 

And no aerospace engineer can explain how that first field goal got through the posts.