Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy 70th birthday, Killer

Comments

• Options
    Happy Birthday, Killer. A true Charlton great.
  • Options
    Thanks for the memories killer , happy birthday 
  • Options
    His name is writ large in the history of Charlton Athletic.

Happy birthday Killer - legend and icon.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Killer! .... legend & hero
  • Options
    Just the best, happy birthday Killer
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Happy birthday Killer my childhood hero. I can still picture your goal at Fulham in the cup and your Bolton brace in 83 will never fade from my memory. Live long Charlton legend.
  • Options
    That’s a great photo of him too! Privileged to watch Killer in his pomp. Happy birthday Derek!
  • Options
    One of my first heroes - Happy Birthday Killer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nickname at club - None  ;)

happy 70th Killer
  • Options
    The team of the mid 70's is the one that sold Charlton to me. Pappy Powell was my favourite, but Killer was a close second. His goal of the season strike at home to Hull is still my all time favourite Charlton goal. He scored a hatrick that day in a 3-1 win. Another that sticks in my mind was the winner in a 2-1 home win against WBA on a Friday night.

Sent both centre backs the wrong way then smashed it top corner from outside the box. Well that's how my 16 year old memory sees it
  • Options
    Legend - happy birthday.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Killer! 

My idols were (and are still) Derek Hales and Ian Botham. The happiness both brought to my life is unimaginable.
  • Options
    Was too young to see him during his 1st spell but feel privileged to have watched him play and score (loads) on his return. The 2 goals he scored in the 4-1 win against Bolton in '83 that kept us up were a highlight.
  • Options
    Happy 70th birthday Killer.
  • Options
    life begins at 70 Derek  :)
  • Options
    One of my best charlton players 🍺🍺🍺
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Yep. Legend in the truest sense. Happy Birthday.
    My friend from those days, Mike Franklin (RIP) told me that around the training ground, Derek was affectionately knowns as “raw meat”. 
  • Options
    What a player, very happy memories. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Part of my formative years as a fan. Dad had been taking me for a while before that, but I was too young to appreciate the team. But having Paddy, Keith, Flash and Killer together made for such exciting times. Lucky to have been to quite a few of the Q&As as well as few years ago.  Real life Killer wasn’t quite the boring footballer that that profile suggested 😂

Happy Birthday Killer.
  • Options
    Absolute Legend: Miscellaneous Dislikes: Tolerating boring .... ? People i guess. Proper answers from a no nonsense, genuine bloke, telling it how it is - wouldn't get that from the media trained pro's of today. Happy birthday Derek.   
  • Options
    Favourite British player and why: none  :D
  • Options
    Yep, one of my all time favourites. Loved the 70s football. Happy birthday Killer.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Was too young to see him during his 1st spell but feel privileged to have watched him play and score (loads) on his return. The 2 goals he scored in the 4-1 win against Bolton in '83 that kept us up were a highlight.

Absolutely - and the second half brace he got in our 3-1 win against Preston in 1975 to clinch promotion at The Valley for the only time in living memory. I don’t think there’s any film of that game but, as I remember it, in each case, a ball was played behind the Preston defence, Killer turned on the burners to leave the defenders for dead and then hit lethal left foot strikes into the bottom corner of the net.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Absolutely - and the second half brace he got in our 3-1 win against Preston in 1975 to clinch promotion at The Valley for the only time in living memory. I don’t think there’s any film of that game but, as I remember it, in each case, a ball was played behind the Preston defence, Killer turned on the burners to leave the defenders for dead and then hit lethal left foot strikes into the bottom corner of the net.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
    What a night - so vivid in the memory still, it's as if it was yesterday.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Give them both barrels, Killer.
    As bad as Parker going to Chelsea was, Killer going to Derby, was far worse, as I didn't fully understand how football worked then.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Is that the profile where in answer to the question, "If you weren't a footballer what would you be?", he answered "A burglar".
    I've idolised many better players in a Charlton shirt; Firmani, Simonsen, DiCanio, but Killer will always be my all-time Charlton hero.
    When we had become "plucky little Charlton" he came in and gave us balls.
    Feisty, combative, you never knew whether he would score a hattrick or get sent off, or both!
    Blistering acceleration over the first 10 yards is what gave him his edge and you would always back him in a one-on-one.
    So many memories, but a few favourites:-
    The fourth goal in a 4-2 home win against Walsall in '75.
    The winning goal in the 1-0 home defeat of Palace in '75 (the reverse fixture of the televised game at Selhurst when Allison bet they would go up and we wouldn't).
    The winning goal in the cup game at Fulham, when "Supermac" had been gobbing off all week about how "they would stop Hales, because if you stop Hales you stop Charlton".
    Many happy returns Derek and thanks for all the memories
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    A legend from before my time really. Dad always spoke of him as being a no nonsense roughneck with skills to match. Can you imagine him today. Maybe Stockley is our own current tappered down version. 

Happy Birthday Killer
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Killer,  one of the Charlton all time greats.