Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

🎄CHRISTMAS TV FILM WATCH 2021 🎅

Comments

• Options
    I can't find any Ray Harryhausen movies this Christmas which always get me in the Christmas spirit.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    I believe Dr Zvargo is on tomorrow (tues). May be a bit long at 3hrs and a quarter but well worth watching. 
  • Options
    Shaun of the dead, correct choice for film of the day. Some heavyweights in there as well including the film to rightly avoid 
  • Options
    Some good films today 
  • Options
    Haven't seen Full Metal Jacket since it came out in the cinema, anyone seen it recently , has it aged well?
  • Options
    Love Actually is certainly a marmite film, seems to divide opinion every year. Personally quite like it, obviously cheesy but it’s always got me into the Christmas spirit. Cannot dispute the cast even if you hate the film! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Shaun Of The Dead, love it. Only recently realised the amount of foreshadowing in Shaun Of The Dead is off the scale. 
  • Options
    Haven't seen Full Metal Jacket since it came out in the cinema, anyone seen it recently , has it aged well?
    I think if you watched it for the first time now it hasn't aged well. If you are watching it for the second time, its fine. Purely for Private Pyle and the drill seargent 
  • Options
    Bit late but thanks @Bedsaddick for flagging up Spiderman on Friday night. I was sure I'd seen it in the BBC adverts for Christmas films but I couldn't find it anywhere in any online articles. Homecoming (the first Tom Holland film) is also on the iPlayer if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    TUESDAY 21st OF DECEMBER
    --------------------------------------------------
    2.45PM            -     BBC1                                    -     SAVING MR BANKS
    11.30PM          -     ITV4                                     -     AMERICAN GANGSTER

11.40PM          -     ITV                                       -     SHAUN OF THE DEAD ( Recommended film of the day)

On Demand     -     AMAZON PRIME                   -     THE SOUND OF METAL
    4.40PM            -     SKY CINEMA GREATS           -     FULL METAL JACKET
    8.00PM            -     SKY CINEMA CHRISTMAS     -     HOLIDAY INN

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------
    9.00PM            -            ITV 2                                 -     LOVE ACTUALLY

(I make no apologies for that choice . I absolutely hate this film.)
    Oh mate, you must have a heart of stone to hate Love Actually. 

I defy anyone to watch that final scene which changes into hundreds of scenes of people meeting loved ones at the airport while playing the line "God only knows what I'd be without you" from the Beach Boys classic over and over again without suddenly needing to  rub their eyes.

It gets me every time! 
  • Options
    TUESDAY 21st OF DECEMBER
    2.45PM            -     BBC1                                    -     SAVING MR BANKS
    11.30PM          -     ITV4                                     -     AMERICAN GANGSTER

11.40PM          -     ITV                                       -     SHAUN OF THE DEAD ( Recommended film of the day)

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------
    9.00PM            -            ITV 2                                 -     LOVE ACTUALLY

Oh mate, you must have a heart of stone to hate Love Actually. 

I defy anyone to watch that final scene which changes into hundreds of scenes of people meeting loved ones at the airport while playing the line "God only knows what I'd be without you" from the Beach Boys classic over and over again without suddenly needing to  rub their eyes.

It gets me every time! 
    It's horrendous . My wife loves it as much as you and it's a constant battle in my house to keep it off the TV!
    Richard Curtis films do that to me. 

I find it inoffensive but I do not like Love Actually in the same way I do not like Bridget Jones films. Don't know if its the foppish upper-middle class demographic that fills the films and the films are aimed at, the dialogue or the pure schmaltz of them. 

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Love Actually is certainly a marmite film, seems to divide opinion every year. Personally quite like it, obviously cheesy but it’s always got me into the Christmas spirit. Cannot dispute the cast even if you hate the film! 

I find fifty percent of the population love this film, they're called women and there are fifty percent that loath it, they're called men.

A female friend once asked me whether it was worth watching and I said that 'its like watching the last five minutes of Bridget Jones' diary on a loop for two hours', meaning give it a swerve, she replied 'oh, sounds good'

I must have seen it a dozen times because my wife likes it, which I am happy to do as it is a trade off for when I disappear for seven hours on boxing day for football. 

For me, the opening line where Hugh Grant talks about the victims of 9/11 is so crass, I really have difficulty getting past that for the rest of the film.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    TUESDAY 21st OF DECEMBER

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------

are you mad? Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without watching Love Actually, feel good film, just makes you happy when watching it.
  • Options
    This thread reminds me that (probably due to covid) we’ve not had an update on whether @razil has had a tantrum this year (or last) because nobody has wanted to pay for him to go to their Xmas party?
  • Options
    What happened to High Noon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Love Actually once, enjoyed it.

Do I want to see it again? Not really no.
  • Options
    milo said:

I find fifty percent of the population love this film, they're called women and there are fifty percent that loath it, they're called men.

A female friend once asked me whether it was worth watching and I said that 'its like watching the last five minutes of Bridget Jones' diary on a loop for two hours', meaning give it a swerve, she replied 'oh, sounds good'

I must have seen it a dozen times because my wife likes it, which I am happy to do as it is a trade off for when I disappear for seven hours on boxing day for football. 

For me, the opening line where Hugh Grant talks about the victims of 9/11 is so crass, I really have difficulty getting past that for the rest of the film.

Not all women!

I've only watched it once, a long time after it was released. Very over-rated in my opinion.

I do love Bridget Jones' Diary though. 
  • Options
    I just wanted to thank @Bedsaddick for doing this again
    I was just about to have a moan about @Bedsaddick not doing his one job he has to do each year and where is today films? Then I realised  its not Wednesday today. 
    I must be getting old.
  • Options
    TUESDAY 21st OF DECEMBER

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------

are you mad? Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without watching Love Actually, feel good film, just makes you happy when watching it.
    Not me ! 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    milo said:

Not all women!

I've only watched it once, a long time after it was released. Very over-rated in my opinion.

I do love Bridget Jones' Diary though. 
    Loved the books & the first film.
    Rubbish after that, especially the baby one, dear me!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    WEDNESDAY 22nd OF DECEMBER
    11.30AM          -     ITV                                      -     E.T THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL
    10.45PM          -     ITV                                      -     DIE HARD
    12.10AM          -     ITV4                                    -     BLACK HAWK DOWN
    8.00PM            -     SKY CINEMA COMEDY         -     ANCHORMAN

9.00PM            -     SKY CINEMA THRILLER        -     WOLF OF WALL STREET ( Recommended film of the day)

11.30PM          -     SKY CINEMA CHRISTMAS     -     BAD SANTA

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------
    2.50PM            -     SKY CINEMA FAMILY            -     LOOK WHO'S TALKING TOO
  • Options
    TUESDAY 21st OF DECEMBER

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------

Not me ! 
    I saw this at the cinema and missed the first few minutes because there were no ads. I wish I had missed the first 110 minutes. Awful film, totally agree with Beds.