Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calling all punk fans: Favourite punk singles?

Comments

• Options
    Andrew Rosindell is surely Harry Enfield taking the mick?
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Andrew Rosindell is surely Harry Enfield taking the mick?
    No,  just a dickhead. 

More importantly, what happened to Bow Wow Wow?

Probably Tory MPs these days. 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    ..and not one of you has mentioned the ultimate punk icon,  Plastic Bertrand.

to those already mentioned would add;
    Mind your own business - Delta 5
    Promises - Buzzcocks
    Wash it all off - You've got foetus on your breath
    My cherry is in sherry - Ludus
    Sonic Reducer - The Dead Boys

I didn't know that had been released as a single, only having bought the album, otherwise I'd have had that in my list.  There was another mainly/all female band around the same time who were of a similar quality as Delta 5 and I can't for the life of me remember their name - it wasn't The Slits, that I do know.
    Was it the Raincoats?
  • Options
    The Clash - Complete Control
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    Patrik Fitzgerald - Safety Pin Stuck in my Heart
    Penetration - Don't Dictate
    X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage, Up Yours
    Buzzcocks - What Do I Get?
    Elvis Costello - Pump It Up
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice
    Rezillos - Flying Saucer Attack

I'd better stop there...!
  • Options
    Badger said:
    Damned - New Rose
    The Saints - I'm Stranded
    Eater - Outside View
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    The Drones - Bone Idol
    The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks
    Swell Maps - Read About Seymour
    The Killjoys - Johnny won't get to Heaven
    Johnny Moped - Incendiary Device
    The Cortinas - Fascist Dictator
    The Outcasts - Just another Teenage Rebel
    The Users  - Sick of You
    The Waps - Can't wait 'til '78
    999 - I'm Alive
    The Snivelling Shits - Terminal Stupid
    The Zeros - Hungry
    Wire - 12XU
    Sex Pistols - Anarchy
    Angelic Upstarts - I'm an Upstart

Oh, forgot about Wire. Loved them. Still going I hear!
  • Options
    Love old JCC. First saw him supporting Richard Hell and Elvis Costello in 1978 and a few times since, living legend.

He was on “Would I lie to you” last night btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Badger said:
    Damned - New Rose
    The Saints - I'm Stranded
    Eater - Outside View
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    The Drones - Bone Idol
    The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks
    Swell Maps - Read About Seymour
    The Killjoys - Johnny won't get to Heaven
    Johnny Moped - Incendiary Device
    The Cortinas - Fascist Dictator
    The Outcasts - Just another Teenage Rebel
    The Users  - Sick of You
    The Waps - Can't wait 'til '78
    999 - I'm Alive
    The Snivelling Shits - Terminal Stupid
    The Zeros - Hungry
    Wire - 12XU
    Sex Pistols - Anarchy
    Angelic Upstarts - I'm an Upstart

Oh, forgot about Wire. Loved them. Still going I hear!
    They’ve released 17 studio albums. Their last was almost as good as their first two. Mind Hive. Brilliant album. 
  • Options
    Does 'The Deceiver' by The Alarm, count as punk? 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Loving this thread. It’s got me listening to various old favourites. The Damned’s Smash it up - I’d forgotten what a superb intro bit.
    https://youtu.be/-FFx68qSAuY

Such a great track - blasted it out today.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    https://youtu.be/4bDDAOJV1xU
    The Nips - Gabrielle ( feat Shane McGowan)

https://youtu.be/lX1Cz_uXIPs
    The Nips - Happy song
  • Options
    Does 'The Deceiver' by The Alarm, count as punk? 
    Not really
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Love old JCC. First saw him supporting Richard Hell and Elvis Costello in 1978 and a few times since, living legend.

Blank generation is a cracking song. Was that at the week-long Dominion Theatre gigs? They gave out badges saying ‘Tuesday’ or whatever day you went. 
  • Options
    I wasn't into punk, but some of the music has grown on me. 

Friggin in the rigging-I heard that for the first time driving up from the Man of Kent to see Charlton play at Rotherham in a Mk3 2L  Cortina. Top motor.

Gary Gilmores eyes- because I have sort of got to know TV Smith in recent years.

A punk band local to me here in North Devon had this very quickly banned, so very few records exist of it, I can't think why. The bulk of the band members are still going under a different name playing very different stuff, but the crowd always demand this gets played. You really must hear it. 
    https://youtu.be/GZpXll8dBVY
    One of our secretaries is called Lucy Loo, just mentioned it to my engineer about playing it, next time she walks into the office.

Telly...is TV Smith still married to Gaye Black (known as Gaye Advert)
    I was introduced to him by the lady that he is living with now, my understanding is that they go back a long way but got back together in more recent years. So not as far as I'm aware Chippy and not an item. 
    Thanks mate.
  • Options

Black generation is a cracking song. Was that at the week-long Dominion Theatre gigs? They gave out badges saying ‘Tuesday’ or whatever day you went. 
    Yup, went on the Friday night - tickets were four quid I seem to remember!

This was probably a month or so before “This Years Model” was released, up there with Rattus Novegicus as my all time favourite album. Elvis’s latest stunt is to rerelease it with a load of Spanish vocalists dubbed on it. Call me a luddite, but that’s just bloody sacrilege. 
  • Options
    Loving this thread. It’s got me listening to various old favourites. The Damned’s Smash it up - I’d forgotten what a superb intro bit.

Happy days…the original vinyl LP had a guide on the inner sleeve to the chords of Smash it up, penned by Mr Godawful Ugly, the famous pig rustler. As John Peel used to say, probably an assumed name. 

Captain Sensible once described the Damned’s manifesto as “Music for Idiots”, can’t not love that.

• Options

Black generation is a cracking song. Was that at the week-long Dominion Theatre gigs? They gave out badges saying ‘Tuesday’ or whatever day you went. 
    Yup, went on the Friday night - tickets were four quid I seem to remember!

This was probably a month or so before “This Years Model” was released, up there with Rattus Novegicus as my all time favourite album. Elvis’s latest stunt is to rerelease it with a load of Spanish vocalists dubbed on it. Call me a luddite, but that’s just bloody sacrilege. 
    Saw Hell & Voidoids at Music Machine in maybe 78 or 79, the gig where John Rotten came and the end and got the crowd to make more noise to get them back for an encore. No badges though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Richard Hell & The Voidoids with Siouxsie & The Banshees at the Music Machine in '77
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    My favorites
    Submission - Sex Pistols
    Pretty Vacant
    Identity - X Ray Spex
    All around the World - The Jam
    Oh forgot Complete Control by the Clash.
  • Options
    Stranglers - No more heroes.
    The Jags - written on the back of my hand (not sure if thats punk but was around that time).
    Most Buzzcocks songs,
    Eddie and the hot rods - Do anything you wanna do,
    Sham 69 - Ulster boy.
    Most Undertones songs.
    Tom Robinson Band - Sing if your glad to be gay/Martin.
    Ian Dury - Sex and drugs and rock and roll/Plaistow Patricia (dont play this song if your mum is around)
    The Rezillo's - Motorbike beat.
    X Ray Spex - World turned dayglo.
    Dr Feelgood - Milk and alcohol.
    The Ramones - Rockaway beach.
    Surely a lot of the women on here would have played this in there youth and now they'd be saying "I won't be playing this when my little angel is around".
    I can't believe I wrote "there" instead of "their". Oh, the shame!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    come out and play
    hurry up harry, hersham boys
    smash it up, a new rose
    pretty vacant
    holidays in cambodia
    sheena is a punk rocker
    go buddy go
    so what? (yes I know it was a B-side)
    another girl another planet
    bankrobber, white riot
    sound of the suburbs
    two pints of lager
    tattoo
    babylons burning
    cold concrete
    germfree adolescents
    swords of 1000 men
    somebody's gonna get their head kicked in tonight
    american idiot
  • Options
    kafka said:
    ..and not one of you has mentioned the ultimate punk icon,  Plastic Bertrand.

to those already mentioned would add;
    Mind your own business - Delta 5
    Promises - Buzzcocks
    Wash it all off - You've got foetus on your breath
    My cherry is in sherry - Ludus
    Sonic Reducer - The Dead Boys

I didn't know that had been released as a single, only having bought the album, otherwise I'd have had that in my list.  There was another mainly/all female band around the same time who were of a similar quality as Delta 5 and I can't for the life of me remember their name - it wasn't The Slits, that I do know.
    Was it the Raincoats?
    That's a good try but no, not them.  It will come to me one day and I'll have to find this thread and put it up here.
  • Options
    That's really top drawer.

Kirsty, that is, not Andrew Rosindell who, as @kafka points out, does look like Harry Enfield in that still.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

Thanks for putting up your list, @Vincenzo, I'd been trying to think of Patrick Fitzgerald's name since I put my list up.  He was the other possibility to be the king of punk poetry alongside John Cooper Clarke, not that either of them would have made the claim themselves, of course.

Saw the Mo-Dettes in the arse end of nowhere somewhere south of Sydenham, they were quite talented as I recall.
  • Options

I saw Dave Vanian in the audience at a Dead Kennedys gig.  Not wanting to seem like a fan boy, I didn't ask for his autograph.  It seemed more 'punk' to ask if he wanted mine.
  • Options
    Hi AddicksAddict said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

Thanks for putting up your list, @Vincenzo, I'd been trying to think of Patrick Fitzgerald's name since I put my list up.  He was the other possibility to be the king of punk poetry alongside John Cooper Clarke, not that either of them would have made the claim themselves, of course.

Saw the Mo-Dettes in the arse end of nowhere somewhere south of Sydenham, they were quite talented as I recall.
    My pleasure. Saw Patrik at Woolwich Poly (supporting Buzzcocks along with Penetration AND The Slits IIRC).

When I saw John Cooper Clarke a few years ago I was slightly stunned to find it had been 35 years since I’d seen him last.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Hi AddicksAddict said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

My pleasure. Saw Patrik at Woolwich Poly (supporting Buzzcocks along with Penetration AND The Slits IIRC).

When I saw John Cooper Clarke a few years ago I was slightly stunned to find it had been 35 years since I’d seen him last.
    Correct. What a gig that was. The Buzzcocks were so good we went and saw them again 6 days later at the Lyceum. Still hear in my head Shelly coming on stage and saying "Hello Wol wich" ha ha.