Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | January 12, 2022

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the highlights @clive

Got to say Henderson is at fault for both those goals unfortunately. Lucky not to give a pen away too.

Not sure what Leko can do to get out of the way of our "equaliser"? He goes in looking for the cross, gets a shove, then ends up in the goalmouth. Unfortunate, but the correct call I think by the lino.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    West2003 said:
    I feel slightly embarrassed about driving four hours from Kent to watch that performance, but at least I can now say I'm part of our "301 club" having witnessed this decade's Dagenham debacle. Fortunately I could crash back at my place in Nottingham ahead of work today!
    I don't really know where to start with last night... We're so toothless up front though. We actually looked threatening at the start of the first half when sliding balls across the six-yard box or driving towards the byline and cutting the ball back but we still never look like scoring. Set-pieces are still a joke. Everything else was just off - poor decision-making again, passes behind or too far in front of players. The lack of urgency was a concern as well - even after we'd scored with ten minutes to go, the players didn't look as if they were chasing an equaliser and trying to snatch a point.
    Leko is incredibly frustrating to watch - he tore Sunderland a new one at wing-back before getting injured and he's never hit the heights of that performance since. He looks scared playing up front and quite clueless about his role. He looks to play it off quickly more often than not, with some situations requiring him to hold the ball up. He's one of many players who pretty much always pick the wrong option.
    The most worrying aspect of the display was how little the players seemed to react to the situation or the criticism from the away supporters. We were pretty close to the action in our stand to the side of the pitch - there was very little communication or shouting amongst the players when going behind, outside of Famewo constantly moaning at CBT for not getting onto his over-hit passes. One bloke shouted at Clare (who along with Dobson can say they actually put a performance in) to call for the ball - he turned around and gestured "what!?" DJ also got into a discussion with one supporter after the second goal but his demeanour seemed to suggest he wasn't fussed and there was a general acceptance that they weren't playing well and maybe couldn't be bothered.
    I often think that about DJ.... can't be arsed one way or another. 
    Absolutely not having this at all. He does a shift up and down the wing every game. Getting sarcy at the fans shouldn't be confused for lacking effort or desire
  • Options
    TEL said:
    bobmunro said:
    masicat said:
    How can Leko interfere with play????
    I thought the pitch didn’t help.
    The disallowed goal was perhaps the only time in 90 minutes that Leko did interfere with play. 
    Come on, he was excellent at getting the ball and passing or losing it to a Crewe player😉
    Absolute joke last night .
    Let's get rid and get someone in who actually wants to be here .
  • Options
    That was pretty much the same side that beat Plymouth 2-0 just a month ago. Absolutely amazing how much we've regressed since then. No excuse at all.
    Last season we won six in a row, then won 6 in 5 months.  I don't understand how the same players can be so good, then so awful.

I don't think the players are as bad as they showed last night, nor as good as they were in some other games.  They seem to be either brilliant or shit.

One thing that does stick out to me is in the last season and a half, which is quite a big sample size, I can't think of a single game where we didn't get exactly what we deserved.   No games stand out as how the hell did we win that or how the hell did we lose that.  Another thing in the same time frame I can only thing of one game, Peterborough at home, when we played quite well and got beat because the other team had better players.

It's almost like the players decide when they want to turn up. 
  • Options
    Another honest but shabby performance the result of which some will all too easily blame on the officials.
    For the 5th game in a row we should have been comfortably out of sight by halftime but let ourselves down with relentlessly getting the simple things wrong, awful corners and freekicks, miserable decision making in the final 3rd and when the chances eventually came, piss poor finishing.  All at a time when our first choice strike partnership was underpar or unavailable for various reasons.   Add in a few defensive clangers and we narrowly lose 4 out of 5.
    Last night's referee was hopelessly inadequate but he didn't directly change the outcome.  Wild inconsistency on punishing fouls and issuing yellow cards is sadly bog standard in this division and last night was only typical.  As for the equaliser that never was, I'm with Brian Clough on the "interfering with play" argument.  From side on the lino's perspective is limited.  Leko's practically standing on the goalie's toes, the lino's got no chance of knowing if he's obscuring his view, the ref might but he's not gonna favour the visitors that late into that fractious fixture.  That's offside everyday of the week.
    Fact remains Charlton should never have been desperate for an equaliser 95+ minutes into a game against that dogged but low grade opposition.
  • Options
    We play a system in which the most important players on the pitch are the two wing backs. We do not have a wing back of sufficient quality or consistency in the entire squad on either side, yet we have 4 senior full backs and at least 3 partly-converted wingers.

To date this is something we haven't been able to help - JJ has introduced the formation without any transfer window to recruit for it. The squad and tactics are not aligned. However, if this is the long term formation we need to recruit a starting pair of wing backs. If there is nothing out there for a permanent we need to look into the loan market. Otherwise, this formation needs a rethink. It is always going to be critically limited by playing players in the key positions who are either not capable defensively or offensively.

We clearly need a centre forward as well but in my opinion the wing backs are just as important given the influence that position has on the entire tactical set up.
    Agree with this. DJ has made a pretty good fist of the wing back position but at the cost of any offensive threat from the right. CBT, an attacking right winger, then came on and was basically told to play left back and put up with the ridiculous passes and verbal abuse from Famewo. Too many square pegs for the system and rising frustration from the players at trying to make it work.
  • Options
    Buzzing to score my fist league goal of my career, shame it can’t be celebrated the way I would like without the win. Lots of learning to take from the game. Thanks to all the travelling fans@CAFCofficial

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd suggest we look at simplifying things in our next games. 

Wing backs aren't working......... without a big man for them to deliver to. 
    when they cant cross on the run. 

You can't play defenders (Purrington & Souare) as wingbacks as they are naturally defensive and don't have the skill set to attack

You cant play wingers (Leko, CBT, DJ) as wingbacks as they are not defensively minded. Also those players specifically aren't good at crossing - certainly not to the quality needed for Stockley to attack.  

It is a mess. We don't have the players to play Jacko's preferred system. 
  • Options
    There is only one person to blame for the disallowed goall,Leko,he was offside by miles,he could not have contributed to a goal,he should have just got away from the area quickley,but no when the shot comes in he moves towards the ball,brainless.
    The person to blame is the referee. He had a good view from the right angle. He would have noted (or should have done) that the keeper didn't complain ( @LargeAddick, you never heard Browney lecturing you that player reactions are a great giveaway?  - something that Browney himself forgot last night with his initial reaction, before Scotty gently helped him engage his brain). If (and I didn't realise that until this morning,) the shot took a Crewe deflection then Leko may not have been offside anyway. 

Then he sees the linesman has decided to Assert Himself. A linesman whom Terry Smith had been calling out from about the first minute. A linesman who was much further away and more or less level with Leko and the keeper. So, completely unable to judge the flight of the ball and the relevance of Leko's position. And they talked and talked and talked. And the 4th official, who had apparently persuaded the ref earlier to book one of ours, I think Gilbey, goaded by Crewe touchline bullying? Nothing to say, apparently. So the ref bottled it. 

We should always be ready to forgive officials for missing incidents, in play. It's an impossible job to get 100% right. But when they make decisions after giving themselves time, (in this case about 2 minutes) and then make such a bad decision., then they have failed to do their job. Just as most of our players failed to do so last night, and for which they are rightly getting pelters. So let's not let that ref off the hook. 
    A "deflection" does not play an "offside" player onside. The action of a defender has to be deliberate (even if the ball doesnt go where he intended it to go), for the otherwise offside player to be judged onside (second phase).
  • Options
    Incidentally, Kirk did not travel with the squad to Crewe. 🤔
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Our concentration before half time lets us down time and time again! Both our doing and bad luck (like Stockton's foul on Clare when they received a corner) but why is it always so predictable from that point!?

Henderson would have saved that if he had stayed on his line. 
    Got to see the irony of this comment, no offence towards you Mendonca

How often has MacGillivray been moaned at for doing just this.
    And I readily admit I'm one of those who moan at MacGillivray for not coming for crosses. It just puts huge pressure on the defence as the ball swirls across the penalty area.

I was a big Amos fan. OK he let a couple of shots on he should have saved but he swallowed every cross that came in week after week. 

Clearly Henderson mucked up for the second goal. If you come for a cross you've got to get a lot closer it than he did. But just because he mucked up last night doesn't make a goalleeper refusing to come of his line right. 
  • Options
    oh Mr Porter what can he do ? ... 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    There is only one person to blame for the disallowed goall,Leko,he was offside by miles,he could not have contributed to a goal,he should have just got away from the area quickley,but no when the shot comes in he moves towards the ball,brainless.
    The person to blame is the referee. He had a good view from the right angle. He would have noted (or should have done) that the keeper didn't complain ( @LargeAddick, you never heard Browney lecturing you that player reactions are a great giveaway?  - something that Browney himself forgot last night with his initial reaction, before Scotty gently helped him engage his brain). If (and I didn't realise that until this morning,) the shot took a Crewe deflection then Leko may not have been offside anyway. 

Then he sees the linesman has decided to Assert Himself. A linesman whom Terry Smith had been calling out from about the first minute. A linesman who was much further away and more or less level with Leko and the keeper. So, completely unable to judge the flight of the ball and the relevance of Leko's position. And they talked and talked and talked. And the 4th official, who had apparently persuaded the ref earlier to book one of ours, I think Gilbey, goaded by Crewe touchline bullying? Nothing to say, apparently. So the ref bottled it. 

We should always be ready to forgive officials for missing incidents, in play. It's an impossible job to get 100% right. But when they make decisions after giving themselves time, (in this case about 2 minutes) and then make such a bad decision., then they have failed to do their job. Just as most of our players failed to do so last night, and for which they are rightly getting pelters. So let's not let that ref off the hook. 
    A "deflection" does not play an "offside" player onside. The action of a defender has to be deliberate (even if the ball doesnt go where he intended it to go), for the otherwise offside player to be judged onside (second phase).
    I would suggest that a defender making a desperate lunge in the final seconds of stoppage time to attempt to block a shot to preserve a lead might just qualify his actions as "deliberate" when determining the nature of the deflection for an offside adjudication.
  • Options
    Wasn't there an away game goal in the Championship season where a forward jumped over the ball  where he was half across Dhillon P. on the RHS and the goal was allowed. It was an equaliser or winner in the last minutes, about same time of year I think
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I would suggest that a defender making a desperate lunge in the final seconds of stoppage time to attempt to block a shot to preserve a lead might just qualify his actions as "deliberate" when determining the nature of the deflection for an offside adjudication.
    Agreed. However my interpretation of Prague's wording (and my interpretation may be wrong) ie "deflection" is that the defender was not attempting to play the ball.

Always happy to be proved wrong - I haven't seen the replay.
  • Options
    Wasn't there an away game goal in the Championship season where a forward jumped over the ball  where he was half across Dhillon P. on the RHS and the goal was allowed. It was an equaliser or winner in the last minutes, about same time of year I think
    Luton away? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    doesn't sound like the bubbly Jacko we're used to. doesn't take long for the pressure of management to take effect.

• Options
    The players have already shown they have enough ability to beat any team in this league. Last night`s performance surprised me as they were a real shadow of their best. The energy and urgency which they have used so well in the games to get JJ the job mysteriously evaporated somewhere.

After the match I had the same feeling I had when we were still under Atkins and I do not want to suffer all that again. 
    Apart from 2 or 3 players, I could see the majority were just not up for it. Crewe however were.

No wonder JJ could not fathom where that performance had come from when interviewed after the game.

We must get back to that 100% spirit we showed earlier as I fear we will get sucked back in to the relegation area instead of making a steady improvement up the table. 

We failed to beat second to bottom last night, I dread to think how we will fare on Saturday against a stronger  Cheltenham side. Which Charlton side will turn up?

COYRs -  find that togetherness again and dominate the opposition as you know you can.
  • Options
    Wouldnt mind playing 4-2-4 

So

Mac
    Clare      Famewo/Lavelle       Innis/Pearce       Purrington
                  Gilbey           Dobson
    DJ/CBT                                                   Leko/Kirk
                  Stockley         Burstow/Washington

Feel Lee needs to be rested as his form isnt great. Just feel that formation would give us a chance exploit teams with pace and pepper the box with crosses & dangerous runs into the box etc. Those wingers will need to track back but that is something that has been learned whilst playing as WB.

On the whole, our defence is fine when all fit. Henderson will retire at the end of the season, he should def consider it if thats how he will play. AMB comes back and challenges Mac as a hungry keeper who wants more instead of a keeper who has nothing left really to prove. 

We do need signings to keep us competitive for me I would like....RB, 2xCM (creative and ball winner if possible) a striker. Based on this formation at least. Those players that arent regularly playing need a chance now. 

Ill accept we arent going up but I cant accept poor performances especially with a mostly full squad. Some bad individual performances will happen sure but the team as a whole should be enough to see us through.

• Options
    PeterGage said:

It may be a deliberate attempt to save the shot but not a deliberate attempt to play the ball. 

The laws are clear - a save by a defender (goalkeeper or outfield player) does not play an otherwise offside player onside.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    That was pretty much the same side that beat Plymouth 2-0 just a month ago. Absolutely amazing how much we've regressed since then. No excuse at all.
    • 1MacGillivray
    • 28Clare
    • 6Pearce -> Gunter
    • 5Famewo
    • 4Dobson Booked at 26mins
    • 7Jaiyesimi -> Blackett-Taylor
    • 11Gilbey
    • 17Lee
    • 3Purrington
    • 25Davison -> Burstow
    • 14Washington
  • Options
    Yes he did, he's in this video 

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

Agreed. However my interpretation of Prague's wording (and my interpretation may be wrong) ie "deflection" is that the defender was not attempting to play the ball.

Ah then you need to. The thing is, the deflection aspect was not at all key to my point. I didnt even notice it when I was looking back at it last night. I’d seen enough already. Leko was standing to the right of the keeper whereas the shot passed directly over the keeper’s head. In no way did Leko stop or attempt to stop the keeper from making the save. There was no way he could have saved it. I’m afraid that decision was not derived from anything technical/legal but from the respective personal attributes of the ref and linesman, sorry to say. 

In connection with this, maybe you can clear something up. Are there clear rules/guidelines defining the role of the 4th official in in-game decision-making. When and how might they interact with the ref? I think most of us, including @KillersBeard on commentary, are unsure about this.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

Ah then you need to. The thing is, the deflection aspect was not at all key to my point. I didnt even notice it when I was looking back at it last night. I’d seen enough already. Leko was standing to the right of the keeper whereas the shot passed directly over the keeper’s head. In no way did Leko stop or attempt to stop the keeper from making the save. There was no way he could have saved it. I’m afraid that decision was not derived from anything technical/legal but from the respective personal attributes of the ref and linesman, sorry to say. 

In connection with this, maybe you can clear something up. Are there clear rules/guidelines defining the role of the 4th official in in-game decision-making. When and how might they interact with the ref? I think most of us, including @KillersBeard on commentary, are unsure about this.
    The commentary team are very clear on the laws of the game when it effects us
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

I must admit that I had to look up this one to be sure, knowing that the 4th official's responsibilities have changed/increased since my days of 4th official at football league games. 

The law states that the linesmen are there to assist the referees with onfield decisions, but doesnt include the 4th official in that sentence. The law does go on to state their responsibilities.