Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How long before we are out of this league?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I would hope the players we have brought in on loan are with a view to having them next season if they come off. 
  • Options
    Ten players out of contract at the end of the season. 
    Four players loan spell ends.

That's 14 players who need to be replaced. 
    Now is question is do we fancy Sandgaard replacing them with enough quality to push for promotion. 
    Personally I don't but that's just me.

That is mental that. 14 players!

• Options

• Options
    If we get out league 1 it will be because the team are relegated. The team and club have been on a downward trend for 14+ years and I have not seen any thing change this season. 
  • Options
    Heart says A

Head says B
  • Options
    Said it earlier in the season and I’ll say it again. The time when Charlton are one of the few big teams in League One and could fight for promotion often, is over. 
    As the premier league teams get richer, so to do the teams relegated to the championship, The trickle down effect this has of then championship clubs spending more and getting more quality, three of those end up in league one at the end of the year. This is now a league one containing 10-15 clubs who could easily fight for promotion and will be for the foreseeable future. 
    I genuinely think last season was the best opportunity to get back into the championship we’ll have for some time. 

Obviously football is all ifs and buts so we could easily spend a fortune in the summer, HMS Piss the League fires up the engines and we avoid all the icebergs. 
  • Options
    Well, was it five years to the Prem? So promotion next year, a year to consolidate in the Championship, them promotion to the Prem.
    Lovely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    B, or never.

The teams down here get bigger and the competition gets harder. I don't think it's been this competitive since when Leeds etc were down here.
    Do they really though?
    Rotherham, Wycombe and Wigan are not clubs that I consider big even if they seem to be the standard now to meet.
    The teams at the top are no bigger and better than before. We are just getting worse and worse.

Would have been (a) without the Nigel interference. The best we can hope for is (b).
    Isn't the problem that there are so few British players in the Prem that there's an abundance of high quality Brit players in the Champs and below. Feels to me that the standard in L1 is higher now than in 2016 even.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, was it five years to the Prem? So promotion next year, a year to consolidate in the Championship, them promotion to the Prem.
    Lovely.
    ;) 
  • Options
    Said it earlier in the season and I’ll say it again. The time when Charlton are one of the few big teams in League One and could fight for promotion often, is over. 
    As the premier league teams get richer, so to do the teams relegated to the championship, The trickle down effect this has of then championship clubs spending more and getting more quality, three of those end up in league one at the end of the year. This is now a league one containing 10-15 clubs who could easily fight for promotion and will be for the foreseeable future. 
    I genuinely think last season was the best opportunity to get back into the championship we’ll have for some time. 

Obviously football is all ifs and buts so we could easily spend a fortune in the summer, HMS Piss the League fires up the engines and we avoid all the icebergs. 
    Spending a fortune doesn't guarantee finishing in the top 3 promoted clubs...but as you say not doing so increasingly guarantees you don't.

Living within means and incremental progression does not seem like it will cut it nowdays looking at the size of some of the clubs down here and smaller ones also throwing money at it.

Doing things the right, sensible and sustainable way seems to be less rewarding and it seems like it will increasingly be down to boom or bust gambling and chucking money at it.  Grim.
  • Options
    9 seasons in 14 in the third tier of league shitness next season and 5 in the second tier 
    The previous 14 and 8 were spent in the top flight and 6 in the second tier 
    The previous 14 and 4 in the top flight and 10 in the second  tier
    the previous 14 and 10 in the second tier and 4 in the third tier 
    The previous 14 and 4 in the top flight and 10 in the second tier 
    The previous 14 and 10 in the top flight 2 in the second tier and 2 in the third tier 
    Previous to that we had 3 seasons in the second tier and our first 8 seasons of league football were in the 3rd tier 

7 seasons missed due to the war in the 102 years of league football 

26 seasons in the top flight 
    46 seasons in the second tier
    23 seasons in the third tier 

after our first promotion , after 8 seasons in the third tier we then spent just
    6 more seasons in the third tier in the following 73 completed seasons 
    Next season will be season 9 in 14 in the third tier .

Of course we are where we are and call it football snobbery or delusions of grandeur but at no point to me is this period of complete and utter guff in our history acceptable or palatable .
    How people can have a moan about people moaning about our complete and utter shitness I’ll never know , we’ve never had it this shit in footballing terms and all the while palace and the scum, our only realistic rivals,  are way beyond our own ineptness 

It’s b or c for me , horrific 

'Just be happy we have a club to support' makes me sick
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    A

We normally take 3 years to get out of this division, with Mike Bailey's team in 1980/81 being a notable exception. You'd have got long odds on that after the disastrous relegation the year before, especially as I don't recall us paying any transfer fees. The three new first team regulars were Paul Walsh and Kevin Smith, plus the excellent Terry Naylor on a free (compare and contrast the impact of the latter with that of Watson and Gunter).

We don't have too many good players at present, although they have undoubtedly underperformed this season. One way of testing the quality is to ask which individuals would be interest to a Championship manager looking to strengthen his side. Maybe Dobson and Stockley but that may be it. Inniss and Aneke should be a big players in League 1 if they can stay fit and Gilbey should also be able to make an impact in most games. I also like the look of Sam Lavelle and expect him to be a big player for us. We've got a number of other decent players who can do a reasonable enough job, such as Clare, Purrington. MacGillivray and Washington etc. but they all have their limitations, even at our current level. 

We have to hope that our record on incoming transfers will significantly improve and that we can supplement the squad with some judicious loans, as pretty well all clubs at our level have to do. Much as I admire what Burnley and Sean Dyche have achieved, if they do go down, the strong likelihood is that Pope will leave and we'll get much-needed transfer funds from the sell-on. 

We have to hope that Burstow continues his development and that we can hang on to him. The same applies to a couple of our other talented youngster who have yet to sign pro deals and are beginning to attract unwanted attention from other clubs. It would be a disaster and utterly demoralising to lose any of those lads.

In terms of the goalkeeping position, I think there's also a good chance that Ashley Maynard-Brewer will edge out Craig MacGillivray next season when he returns from Ross County, especially if he can command his area on crosses..
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    cabbles said:
    B, and we’ll still have people on here saying we should’ve kept Pratley, there’s a player in Morgan, and Gilbey is definitely capable of playing in the Championship 

You really don't like Gilbey ?
    Shame you weren't at the Ipswich home game when he was superb and rightly was voted the MOM. His passing lets him down at times but he is a good League one player and would be a good water carrier with a playmaker alongside him in the Championship, and the least of our worries. Does some great forward runs with the ball. 

Agree about Pratley and Morgan is hit and miss but Albie did have his best game against Fleetwood even before his second attempt at goal went in. Unlikely to be the answer after playing so many games but it's possible at 21/22 there is still improvement in him.

We need to keep half this team and move the rest on. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    2 or 3 seasons under TS. B/C combo.

Under Southall we were heading for Dartford or Welling as local Derbies.

As Ipswich, Bolton, Sheff wed and Sunderland know, past glories count for fuck all when you've fallen and in the 3rd tier.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If we see a similar scenario to this season to the next, then I think TS will lose support very quickly and probably completely turned against him in most parts, so it's important next year we get it right.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    If we see a similar scenario to this season to the next, then I think TS will lose support very quickly and probably completely turned against him in most parts, so it's important next year we get it right.
    Tottenham of the south then  
  • Options
    unless there is decent investment in players this coming summer AND those players are a right fit for the club, it could be a looooong time I fear 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     If we don't get out in the next two seasons, I can see us becoming a Swindon flitting between League one and two.